10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have two different copies of essentially the same song, a master mix and a working mix. The working mix has an extra vocal track with multiple layers. I want to copy all of it (vocal track +layers) to the other song. This will let me change my mind later.

I don't know of an easy way to do that. I usually either have to comp the vocal in the working mix, then copy one final take over to the master mix. The downside being I can't change the takes later on.

An alternative is to copy all the vocal layers to the master mix one-by-one.

Is there an easy way to convert layers to tracks so that I can copy & paste them all at once into the master mix?

(I know I could record multiple tracks but I needed to be quick about it, so I went with layers.)

thank you!
by -Luis- on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:39 pm
Maybe this?

Attachments
Layers to Tracks.png
by joetvpresonus on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:22 pm
Huh.
5.5.2 Unpack Takes
When two or more Takes exist for an Audio Event, it is possible to unpack the individual takes
to separate Events on new Tracks, new Layers, or existing Layers. To do this, [Right]/[Control]-click on the Event and click on Unpack Takes in the contextual menu.
Choose Unpack to Tracks to place each Take at the appropriate time on its own new Track.
Note that the settings of the originating Track are not duplicated for the new Tracks.

The thing is, when I right-click the track with the layers, everything in that screenshot from "Select Takes" to "Unpack Takes" isn't there.

The rest of the menu looks exactly the same, but those Unpack Layer options aren't there.

Is there a particular View or switch or something I need to enable to see them? I created the different layers by selecting the "Record Takes to Layers" option during the recording. And yet I don't see those items on the right-click menu - ?
by -Luis- on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:28 pm
Ok what version of Studio One are you using?
by Lawrence on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:11 am
Like Luis said, "Takes" can be directly exploded to new tracks with that menu function, but I don't think there is a built in function to automatically copy "Layers" to new tracks, although you can get that done much easier with a macro which might be something like...

1. Select All On Track (for the active layer)
2. Copy
3. Create New Track
4. Paste at Original Position

If you bind something like that to a key you can just tap it to copy the active layer to a new track.

Hope that helps.
by -Luis- on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:45 am
LMike wrote I don't think there is a built in function to automatically copy "Layers" to new tracks, although you can get that done much easier with a macro
Hope that helps.

You're right my mistake. :oops:
by joetvpresonus on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:50 am
Thanks Luis and LMike. I'm using 2.6.2.25590 Professional - in particular a 32-bit version but also x64.

I guess I'm conflating "Takes" with "Layers", particularly because the menu item I picked to create them says "Record Takes to Layers". What's the (other?) difference?

(On preview, it looks like both of you agree there isn't a way to convert layers to new tracks?)
by Lawrence on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:06 am
The difference confuses everyone a little tbh, the terminology vs. the more common way we all refer to them. I mean, I call recorded passes on layers "takes" like everyone else but technically speaking (in the S1 technical terminology) they're really not. But of course, in the common recording terminology, they really are.

So Luis wasn't really wrong there imo, given the reality of all that.

The main difference is that "Takes" only get created during loop recording. A take is really just a small region of a larger recording. Every loop cycle is considered a take when you loop record. Once you stop the transport you can't add anything else to that particular unique set of takes because every set of takes is just different regions from the same single audio file.

Layers are more like full virtual tracks.

It gets a little confusing for new users because you can have both happening at the same time. You can have multiple layers with multiple clips across those multiple layers with some of those clips having different sets of takes on them, if you loop recorded some of them.

Hope that helps a little.
by joetvpresonus on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:19 pm
Ah, yes that makes a lot more sense. Thanks LMike! Looks like I'll be investigating the macro approach next time.

Is there a button to turn a Community Forum post into a New Feature Request? Or is that its own new feature request . . . :)

thanks again.
by Lawrence on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:47 pm
Good one. :lol:

I think that 80-90% of the time the FR's we make are just duplicates of FR's that have been made multiple times before, and according to Ari, already logged in their internal system. I'm fairly certain "Explode Layers to Tracks" has been made multiple times but I doubt if anyone would care if you made it again. You can't really have an FR board without a certain amount of redundant FR's.

Well, you can, but not really in an open forum like this, maybe on a database type system that cross checked itself. But all the stuff people migrated here to the FR forum was already logged in their system, again, that's from Ari, not me.

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=298

Actually, I made a similar request today. I wasn't so sure if exploding layers via drag and drop had ever been requested and your thread inspired that one from me so i figured better safe than sorry...

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=766

10 posts
Page 1 of 1