6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello, sorry if this is a silly question, I have googled a bit and I can't find any solid answer.

I have a RME UCX, when I connect my guitar to inputs 3 or 4 (the instrument inputs on the interface), even with the input gain maxed (12dB on the UCX), the recorded wave form seems to indicate that the signal is very weak (the wave form is not very high). I can't get anywhere near to clipping the signal even if I try. However, if I plug into the mic/line input, the signal seems to be much stronger.

My questions are: Is it OK to use the mic/line level inputs for recording guitar with active pickups? Can I do any damage to the interface by using the wrong inputs? Should I be using the instrument inputs or the mic/line inputs with active pickups?

Thanks,
Dave.
by jpettit on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:27 pm
Ektosh wroteHello, sorry if this is a silly question, I have googled a bit and I can't find any solid answer.

I have a RME UCX, when I connect my guitar to inputs 3 or 4 (the instrument inputs on the interface), even with the input gain maxed (12dB on the UCX), the recorded wave form seems to indicate that the signal is very weak (the wave form is not very high). I can't get anywhere near to clipping the signal even if I try. However, if I plug into the mic/line input, the signal seems to be much stronger.

My questions are: Is it OK to use the mic/line level inputs for recording guitar with active pickups? Can I do any damage to the interface by using the wrong inputs? Should I be using the instrument inputs or the mic/line inputs with active pickups?

Thanks,
Dave.

Tell us more about your active pick up guitar.
Make, model , look up specs etc .....
Most likely you are OK but you need to check the guitar output voltages v.s. the RME input voltages.

It kind of sounds like you have a impedance mismatch and might need a direct box in line to get the levels correct but check the guitar output specs to RME input specs first.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS:Win 10 64-bit, 12 Core i7: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 40" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24, Quantum, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6,Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro 4.0, Reaper 5.9, Sonar Platinum
by Ektosh on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 pm
Guitar is a ESP Horizon FR-II, EMG 81 in the bridge, EMG 60 in the neck.

The output voltage of the 81 is:
RMS: 1.25V (1250mV)
Peak: 1.75V (1750mV).

Although I have no idea what any of this means... I can't seem to find the input voltage of the analog inputs of the UCX either.
by Ektosh on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:48 pm
I've solved the issue. The input I was using on the UCX was not set as an instrument input in TotalMix.

I'm very sorry to have wasted your time. I really appreciate your help. Thanks heaps.
by matthewgorman on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:41 am
Not a waste of time. Someone else may have the same problem down the road. Thanks for posting the solution.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
S1Pro V2 , Melodyne Studio 4, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves , RM16, Studio 192, DP88, Faderport, Central Station Plus, Yamaha HS50 Monitors, Sceptre 6-8 Monitors, Temblor 10.
by Rangersam on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:59 pm
Ektosh wroteGuitar is a ESP Horizon FR-II, EMG 81 in the bridge, EMG 60 in the neck.

The output voltage of the 81 is:
RMS: 1.25V (1250mV)
Peak: 1.75V (1750mV).

Although I have no idea what any of this means... I can't seem to find the input voltage of the analog inputs of the UCX either.

To answer this question from the technical perspective, the 2 voltages mentioned equate to +3.7dBu and +7dBu.

I also understand that EMG actives prefer at least 25k impedance for the destination (input).
These 2 factors alone would mean that for some interfaces, you could in fact plug straight into the line in and have perfect level. It depends only on the level to achieve '0dB' in the digital domain. For some interfaces that may be as low as around +10dBu, but on fully professional interfaces, the input needs to be around +20dBu to hit '0' in the digital domain.

You also may get a better s/n ratio with actives if in fact your input impedance is lower than that required for passive pickups. Passives like to see at least 250k, but actives may have no problem with 25k. It depends only on the pickups in question. Some experimentation is required to get the best balance between noise and tone.

Some good discussion here
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/f-o- ... boxes.html

i7 3770,ASUS P8Z68-V-LE RME Multiface x2,RME ADI2,Lucid 2496. Casio PX-3,Yamaha V50,Korg 05,Roland SH-01,Korg Nanopad2,Behringer BCF,BCR2000(studio).
i7 4770, Asus Z87-C, M-Audio delta66,RME ADI2,Vox TonelabLE (spdif input), A&HZED12FX, M-Audio Keystation61ES (home).
Soundworkshop Series30(rackmounted in groups of 8), Dynaudio BM15 speakers.
Win10 64,S1Pro,Soundforge10, CD Arch5,Reason10,Recycle, Waves, Drumcore 3, Korg legacy digital and analogue,
Arturia Vintage Collection, NI Komplete10,Alicia's Keys,Vintage compressors,Premium tube series.
https://soundcloud.com/andrew-emery

6 posts
Page 1 of 1