6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Please bear with me while I explain what I’m after.

I have my main desktop windows 10 pro PC that is being upgraded later in the year, I have all my Audio on this, my S88 mk3, Keylab 61 mk2, Maschine mk3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and Presonus M7 Mic

I also do electronics as a hobby, they used to be next to each other hence could use PC for both. My electronics lab has now been moved to our spare room.

Last year I had a couple of major and serious operations, spent 12 days in intensive care and a month in hospital in total.

I’m still recovering, it’s not terminal but it’s going to be a long process and I’ve been told I will be in pain for life and full recovery is going to be a slow process, anyway I won’t bore you with the details.

Often I don’t feel like sitting at my PC, or for that matter sitting in my electronics lab, I just want to sit in my comfy electric recliner and have a tinker.

I’ve recently bought a Novation Launch key 37 mk3 that I can happily connect to my iPad and sit in my armchair having a play, I have a few nice synths on my iPad, but I’d much rather be able to use my NI, Arturia etc software and also my DAW (studio one).

I’m not expecting to be able to run a huge DAW project, I have my desktop for that, more I want to play around, learn a particular synth inside out, maybe record an idea or two. Or maybe use my Maschine instead of the Launch key etc.

I have an over the chair table (bit like the over bed ones) that can fit both my Launchpad and my iPad.

What I want is a smallish (in physical size) laptop that I can use instead of my iPad so I can access all my music software. I can then also use it in my electronics lab.

For my electronics, anything will do, it’s mainly looking up diagrams and watching the odd YouTube vid etc.

But as said, I would also like it to be able to run my music software from my armchair.

Haven’t got a huge budget for this around the £600 - £800 mark, although if say spending another £100 gave me a huge jump (like my examples below), I dare say I could go for it

Been building my own desktop PC since the 90s but know very little about the laptop side of things, except that whichever ones people I know have bought over the years (usually from PCworld/Currys in UK) seem to run like a snail.

I’m open to suggestions, also going to post this in both the Arturia and Presonus forum.

As I do like both my iPhone and iPad, I was thinking about a second hand Mac, not older than 2020, with 16GB Ram and an M1 CPU?

For example, for £820 I can get:

MacBook Air 10,1/M1 (8-CPU 8-GPU)/16GB Ram/1TB SSD/13"/SG

or for £875 I can get

MacBook Pro 17,1/M1 (8-CPU 8-GPU)/16GB Ram/512GB SSD/13”/SG

I’ve read that as the Mac air is fan-less it can throttle the CPU, although I’m not going to be writing whole/huge things on it.

Going the pro route adds £55 and halves SSD space

But then I wonder if for the same price could I get a more powerful windows laptop? I know Apple stuff is usually very overpriced for what you get. And of course the one thing with Macs is you can’t upgrade RAM/internal SSD etc, but for all I know, windows laptops might have gone a similar way by now?

Anyway, I’m open to suggestions, will need to buy in next couple of weeks

Many thanks

Daw: Studio One Pro Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 socket 2011 CPU: Intel Core i7 - 3930k 3.2GHz. RAM: Patriot PV316G160C9K Viper 3 Black Mamba 64GB. Graphics: XFX Radeon RX480 Audio Interface: Focusrite Safire Pro 40 OS Drive: (and currently all music s/w) Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (plugged into M.2 NVMe to PCIe 4.0 X4 Adapter) Documents drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB Other storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 480GB Keyboards etc Arturia Keylab 61 mk2, NI S 88 mk3, NI Maschine mk3, Novation Launch key 37 mk3, Presonus M7 Condenser mic
by Tacman7 on Sat May 04, 2024 5:18 pm
I don't think you can beat the processing deal of a new M2 mini for $500!

Those can screw to the wall out of the way and you just need a wireless keyboard and or mouse, lot of ways to go.

I have one sitting next to my PC and I can use the PC as a sound module and send midi to it from the Mac so I don't have to install every instrument I have on the mac.

The mac has TB and can record with the lowest latency you can get.

Have a look and see if it can work for you.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by PhilipJoseph on Sun May 05, 2024 12:32 pm
Thanks.

You are correct, that would be the best deal for me, trouble is, I need something simple for me to put on my overchair table, having to put a monitor on, while it might sound trivial, for me I really do need an all in one solution, a laptop, but you have got me thinking if there’s a way around this.

Big TV is no good, wife will be watching that and I’ll be in armchair on headphones

Daw: Studio One Pro Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 socket 2011 CPU: Intel Core i7 - 3930k 3.2GHz. RAM: Patriot PV316G160C9K Viper 3 Black Mamba 64GB. Graphics: XFX Radeon RX480 Audio Interface: Focusrite Safire Pro 40 OS Drive: (and currently all music s/w) Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (plugged into M.2 NVMe to PCIe 4.0 X4 Adapter) Documents drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB Other storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 480GB Keyboards etc Arturia Keylab 61 mk2, NI S 88 mk3, NI Maschine mk3, Novation Launch key 37 mk3, Presonus M7 Condenser mic
by davidlarson6 on Sun May 05, 2024 1:12 pm
As long as you're not planning on a big template, the M1 or M2 Macbook Air should be more than adequate. My wife has a Macbook Air M1 and it's really quite capable.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by jebbyslonar on Sat May 11, 2024 3:18 am
Yeah I saw a computer in the Media Markt the other day for about 475, an ACER ASPIRE 3 NX.KSJEP.001 with the RYZEN 7 5700U/16/5
14.6"-16.6".
Now this computer was shockingly adequate with a network port, 4 USB (1 a c type) and everything else, probably standard (probably). Don't need one myself but you can not doubt that a Ryzen with 8/16 cores will do a lot towards making great music. I never used an apple laptop. I have an Apple iPhone 5s that I play Moog Model D synth on and run straight into my interface. I bought it for Yamaha soundmondo back 7 or so years ago. It won't even run a bluetooth mouse (that came in iPhone 6). but I digress about the Apple stuff.

This computer that I saw was marked down from about $599 to about $475 I would say, based on my recollection of currency conversion. It is two of my main points that it should have 4 USB ports and a network (ethernet) port. It also has an HDMI. Don't know for sure but I would assume it has a headphone out (3.5mm). I don't know much about it aside from that stuff. I think it has only 1 RAM space and one disk space but you can buy a 4 TB Pcie SSD and partition to your heart's content. Then you can get a 32 GB RAM if you so desire (another couple hundred dollars for each of these?) Probably the computer would be cheaper online, isn't everything?

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Searching for a new place to upload this music and videos? There is no place decent anymore too many morons on Bitchute, and too much censorship everywhere else.
by PhilipJoseph on Tue May 14, 2024 5:36 am
Many thanks everyone, couldn’t respond for a couple of days, Presonus kept fixing my posting permissions, but every time I logged in, said I couldn’t post.

Anyway, all fixed now.

Thanks to contributions from my (adult) children as it’s my 60th birthday in a couple of weeks, I had a higher budget.

So I’ve purchased a 16” MacBook pro with M1 CPU, 16 GB RAM and 1TB SSD, (10 CPU cores and 16 GPU cores)

Also got a 2TB external SSD

Currently installing all of Studio One Plus, most of Native Instruments, all of Arturia V8 and Pigments, that will almost fill up the external SSD (well if I installed all my NI stuff, there wouldn’t be room for everything) and once everything is set up, my wife is taking it away until my birthday lol (only 12 days) .

So I think I’m going to be very very happy with my purchase.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1