3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I normally use my XR18 for sound work, but wanted to listen to something from the internet and my
PC has a noisy audio card. The noise floor is incredibly high and audible. Here is how I fixed this:

I bought a Schiit Modi D/A converter found here:
https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-plus

I also bought the Schiit Magni headphone amp found here:
https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-unity

I connected the Modi to PC USB. Connected the Modi output to the Magni input using RCA interconnects.

The thing sounds great for those times when you just want to listen (stream) what is on the internet.
I then tried recording from this set up and it definitely sounds better than my internal sound card!

I was wondering if anyone else uses this setup or something similar?

Studio One 6.5 Professional on Home built i9 10900K on ASUS Z490 Prime-A with 32 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Premium 500GB M2 WD Black SSD (OS) 1TB M2 WD Black SSD Data Drive. Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, and/or XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. Single FaderPort , Behringer X-Touch control. Ozone 10 Advanced, Various Waves Plug-ins including Nx with Head Tracker and Ocean Way Nashville and Abbey Road studios.M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32-Mini-Key Keyboard Controller, You Rock Guitar [Gen 2] Guitar MIDI Controller. Alesis DM10 MKII Studio Kit Electronic Drum Set.
by Vocalpoint on Wed May 01, 2024 2:49 pm
patm300e wroteI was wondering if anyone else uses this setup or something similar?

I just use my RME UCX-II for every possible audio scenario (streaming, YouTube, DAW, music server playback etc) and ensure that the internal sound card is fully disabled before even installing the OS.

No need to complicate matters if your actual audio interface is capable of handling everything.

Sounds like your layout works for you. Rock on.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.1.99821 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.250) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by patm300e on Tue May 14, 2024 11:13 am
Thanks for the response VP. I can also use my interface to play back. It works fine as well. But the DA and headphone amp combo is very quiet and clean.

Studio One 6.5 Professional on Home built i9 10900K on ASUS Z490 Prime-A with 32 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Premium 500GB M2 WD Black SSD (OS) 1TB M2 WD Black SSD Data Drive. Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, and/or XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. Single FaderPort , Behringer X-Touch control. Ozone 10 Advanced, Various Waves Plug-ins including Nx with Head Tracker and Ocean Way Nashville and Abbey Road studios.M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32-Mini-Key Keyboard Controller, You Rock Guitar [Gen 2] Guitar MIDI Controller. Alesis DM10 MKII Studio Kit Electronic Drum Set.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1