20 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Not all of us has the luxury of working on monitors so I'm wondering if S1 has the ability to create a cross feed on my headphones like you get with software like Goodhertz Canopener?

There must be a way to do some kind of routing to add a little of each channel to the other side

AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 4GHz // 16GB RAM // M.2 SSD
Studio One 6 (latest version)
Windows 11 Pro
RME Babyface Soundcard
Arturia Keylab 88 MIDI controller
SSL UF1 Controller
by Tacman7 on Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 pm
Mix FX is the way. Doesn't matter what you're listening on, long as it's stereo.

https://s1manual.presonus.com/en/#Built ... 257C_____7

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Anderton on Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:38 pm
I did a "virtual listening room" blog post a couple years ago that depended on the listen bus. It's okay, but I have an improved version coming up in the 2nd Edition of The Huge Book of Studio One Tips and Tricks. The eBook will be released in May. (If you have a previous version, the update will be free.)

The new Virtual Listening Room is an FX Chain that inserts in the Main bus. It's basic compared to something like the Waves NX control room emulation plugins. It uses a Dual Pan, Binaural Pan, Voxengo Delay, and Pro EQ3. The Voxengo Delay is free; Studio One's Analog Delay is more of an effect, while the Voxengo is just a totally plain delay, which works better in this context.

My main application is long tracking sessions, when using headphones for overdubs. At least for me, there's less listener fatigue and the stereo image feels more natural. There's probably some way to do this easily by appropriating Atmos panning in a conventional stereo mix, but I haven't figured it out yet..

Hope this helps...!

Digital storefront: craiganderton.com
Free educational site: craiganderton.org
Music: youtube.com/thecraiganderton
Studio One eBooks: shop.presonus.com
by redskyroad on Fri May 03, 2024 12:33 pm
Anderton wroteI did a "virtual listening room" blog post a couple years ago that depended on the listen bus. It's okay, but I have an improved version coming up in the 2nd Edition of The Huge Book of Studio One Tips and Tricks. The eBook will be released in May. (If you have a previous version, the update will be free.)

The new Virtual Listening Room is an FX Chain that inserts in the Main bus. It's basic compared to something like the Waves NX control room emulation plugins. It uses a Dual Pan, Binaural Pan, Voxengo Delay, and Pro EQ3. The Voxengo Delay is free; Studio One's Analog Delay is more of an effect, while the Voxengo is just a totally plain delay, which works better in this context.

My main application is long tracking sessions, when using headphones for overdubs. At least for me, there's less listener fatigue and the stereo image feels more natural. There's probably some way to do this easily by appropriating Atmos panning in a conventional stereo mix, but I haven't figured it out yet..

Hope this helps...!

This is exactly what I wanted!!! Much appreciated.

PS: I need to buy your book ASAP. When exactly is v2 arriving?

Windows 11 Pro
RME Babyface Soundcard
SSL UF1 Controller
by redskyroad on Fri May 03, 2024 8:13 pm
Something I don't quite understand about your "virtual listening room" blog post. If you "swap the channels" with the mixtool, where is the original signal? Seems we're only left with a modified signal.

Windows 11 Pro
RME Babyface Soundcard
SSL UF1 Controller
by Anderton on Fri May 03, 2024 11:49 pm
redskyroad wroteSomething I don't quite understand about your "virtual listening room" blog post. If you "swap the channels" with the mixtool, where is the original signal? Seems we're only left with a modified signal.

The virtual listening room effects go through the Listen Bus, so they're in parallel Check the section at the end called The Listen Bus for details. However, the new version is an FX Chain that goes into the Main Bus, and does its parallel processing within the FX Chain. So you don't need to use the listen bus. There's also a Macro Controls panel for convenience.

As to the new Edition, I'm sending it to Sweetwater in 7-10 days, and they usually get a book online in a couple days. If you want, you can buy the current version now, and download the new edition for free when the update comes out.

by redskyroad on Sat May 04, 2024 7:39 pm
Parallel to what?

It makes sense to me to rather use the listening bus for this type of thing so that I keep my headphone calibration on the listening bus. When I have to render a master, I don't have to disable any plugins.

Windows 11 Pro
RME Babyface Soundcard
SSL UF1 Controller
by BobF on Sat May 04, 2024 8:26 pm
redskyroad wroteParallel to what?

It makes sense to me to rather use the listening bus for this type of thing so that I keep my headphone calibration on the listening bus. When I have to render a master, I don't have to disable any plugins.

That's the way I use the LB.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Anderton on Sun May 05, 2024 12:48 pm

Parallel to the Main Out, which carries the dry signal. The Listen Bus carries the processed audio. But remember, the older version was tied in with the 1824c interface and the mixer in Universal Control. The new version avoids having to use the Listen Bus, doesn't need the UC mixer, and has other improvements.

by redskyroad on Sun May 05, 2024 8:56 pm
Anderton wrote

Parallel to the Main Out, which carries the dry signal. The Listen Bus carries the processed audio. But remember, the older version was tied in with the 1824c interface and the mixer in Universal Control. The new version avoids having to use the Listen Bus, doesn't need the UC mixer, and has other improvements.

1) Where is this "new" version you speak of?
2) If this all happens on the master bus, where do I add my Sonarworks headphone calibration, and do I need to disable it each time I render?

Windows 11 Pro
RME Babyface Soundcard
SSL UF1 Controller
by Anderton on Sun May 05, 2024 11:03 pm
redskyroad wrote1) Where is this "new" version you speak of?

As mentioned in the 3rd post, "I have an improved version coming up in the 2nd Edition of The Huge Book of Studio One Tips and Tricks. The eBook will be released in May. (If you have a previous version, the update will be free.)"

redskyroad wrote2) If this all happens on the master bus, where do I add my Sonarworks headphone calibration, and do I need to disable it each time I render?

You would add Sonarworks at the very end of the master bus, following everything including crossfeed plugins. When rendering, you would need to disable anything that attempts to emulate the experience of listening over speakers if you expect something to play back over speakers and not just headphones, as well as bypass any headphone calibration plugins.

However, the latest version of Sonarworks does monitor speaker emulation and offers a virtual monitoring add-on. So if you have that, you won't need a crossfeed plugin. I think checking out the following links would be worth your while:

https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-refe ... monitoring

https://soundid-reference.support.sonar ... DAW-plugin

https://soundid-reference.support.sonar ... ing-Add-on

by garybowling on Mon May 06, 2024 6:52 am
I previously used sonarworks, but about two years ago spent a bunch of time rolling my own headphone emulation environment, which I put on the listen bus.

I use the HangLoose convolver, which gives you multiple slots to add in an IR with an easy method to switch between them. Then I use a modified version of the IRs you can get from here.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Combining things I can put IR's into slots in HL that simulates my main speaker environment, several small monitors (auratones, NS10s, etc) so I can switch back and forth.

Add in a few more tweaks for cross channel, etc.

This has totally changed my mixing style! I have my environment where I can listen with my main speakers and switch to headphones and I can barely tell any difference. It's been a real game changer and now I mix more and more on headphones with equal results to speakers. It allows me to mix on the road, on the run, and in my easy chair. Much more convenient and time efficient.

All this to say... pick up Craig's book and follow his advice and create you a good headphone environment. You'll not regret it and it will likely change your workflow.

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 11, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by redskyroad on Tue May 07, 2024 11:23 am
Anderton wrote
redskyroad wrote1) Where is this "new" version you speak of?

As mentioned in the 3rd post, "I have an improved version coming up in the 2nd Edition of The Huge Book of Studio One Tips and Tricks. The eBook will be released in May. (If you have a previous version, the update will be free.)"

redskyroad wrote2) If this all happens on the master bus, where do I add my Sonarworks headphone calibration, and do I need to disable it each time I render?

You would add Sonarworks at the very end of the master bus, following everything including crossfeed plugins. When rendering, you would need to disable anything that attempts to emulate the experience of listening over speakers if you expect something to play back over speakers and not just headphones, as well as bypass any headphone calibration plugins.

However, the latest version of Sonarworks does monitor speaker emulation and offers a virtual monitoring add-on. So if you have that, you won't need a crossfeed plugin. I think checking out the following links would be worth your while:

https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-refe ... monitoring

https://soundid-reference.support.sonar ... DAW-plugin

https://soundid-reference.support.sonar ... ing-Add-on

I thought the whole point of the listening bus is to add things like headphone calibration and cross-feed plugins. I fail to understand how you set up the listening bus to play a wet signal ALOGSIDE the MAIN bus.. My sonarworks has always resided in the listening bus when I mix down, I just mix the main but and don't even worry what's on the listening bus...

PS: I'm getting Sonarworks' Virtual Add-on immediately. Will solve my issues! Thanks for the links

Windows 11 Pro
RME Babyface Soundcard
SSL UF1 Controller
by Anderton on Tue May 07, 2024 1:23 pm
redskyroad wrote[I fail to understand how you set up the listening bus to play a wet signal ALOGSIDE the MAIN bus.

Well, you're using the Listen Bus the way it's supposed to be used :) . What I did is an unconventional application of the Listen Bus that takes advantage of the mixer applet for the 1824c interface. That's why I think the new version, which is independent of the interface and applet mixer, is an improvement.

As a little background, my main use for the Listen Bus is soloing through it. Because I don't use the Main bus for dynamics or EQ processing (I save that for the Project Page), I insert plugins like Sonarworks, Waves Nx, etc. in the Main bus along with a Mixtool. So, I can just turn off the insert to hear the unprocessed sound. The purpose of the Mixtool is to balance levels between the processed and unprocessed sounds.

One of the things I love about Studio One is how it provides a toolset that can be used in many different ways. For example, I use a VCA fader to implement a dim solo function, and several VCAs to do a technique I call "incremental mixing." Neither is a normal use case, but hey...they work :)

Glad to hear Sonarworks will do what you want! I think it's a brilliant program.

by garyanderson5 on Wed May 08, 2024 5:20 am
redskyroad wrote
Anderton wrote

1) Where is this "new" version you speak of?
2) If this all happens on the master bus, where do I add my Sonarworks headphone calibration, and do I need to disable it each time I render?

Simplest way to do it is add Sonarworks and the head phone calibration software to the listen bus. Map your Baby Face HP out to the listen bus as well 3/4 for example. Now it's a simple case of changing the listen bus output to 1/2 for Monitor calibration or 3/4 for HP calibration. Both options mean you don't have to bypass anything because it's on the listen bus leaving the main out clean for export. This way you have the freedom of switching to Monitor or Headphone calibration via the listen bus by simply changing the listen bus out and turning on either of the plugins you use. When you switch from 1/2 to 3/4 on the listen bus the I/O settings update to match. Pic below how I use ARC and VSX on the Listen bus with Total Mix.

Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-08 122346.png

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by redskyroad on Thu May 09, 2024 11:23 am
garyanderson5 wroteSimplest way to do it is add Sonarworks and the head phone calibration software to the listen bus. Map your Baby Face HP out to the listen bus as well 3/4 for example. Now it's a simple case of changing the listen bus output to 1/2 for Monitor calibration or 3/4 for HP calibration. Both options mean you don't have to bypass anything because it's on the listen bus leaving the main out clean for export. This way you have the freedom of switching to Monitor or Headphone calibration via the listen bus by simply changing the listen bus out and turning on either of the plugins you use. When you switch from 1/2 to 3/4 on the listen bus the I/O settings update to match. Pic below how I use ARC and VSX on the Listen bus with Total Mix.

That's exactly how my system is set up. Monitors on 1/2 and headphones on listening bus, 3/4.

Windows 11 Pro
RME Babyface Soundcard
SSL UF1 Controller
by garyanderson5 on Fri May 10, 2024 12:37 pm
redskyroad wrote
garyanderson5 wroteSimplest way to do it is add Sonarworks and the head phone calibration software to the listen bus. Map your Baby Face HP out to the listen bus as well 3/4 for example. Now it's a simple case of changing the listen bus output to 1/2 for Monitor calibration or 3/4 for HP calibration. Both options mean you don't have to bypass anything because it's on the listen bus leaving the main out clean for export. This way you have the freedom of switching to Monitor or Headphone calibration via the listen bus by simply changing the listen bus out and turning on either of the plugins you use. When you switch from 1/2 to 3/4 on the listen bus the I/O settings update to match. Pic below how I use ARC and VSX on the Listen bus with Total Mix.

That's exactly how my system is set up. Monitors on 1/2 and headphones on listening bus, 3/4.

Nice one. It works pretty good this way with minimum fuss. :thumbup:

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by Anderton on Fri May 10, 2024 9:20 pm
garyanderson5 wroteNice one. It works pretty good this way with minimum fuss. :thumbup:

All true, but remember the OP wanted to do it using Studio One's tools, without needing additional software. The only solution I can think of is putting the plugins that emulate the crossfeed in parallel with the main bus, either through the Listen bus or an FX Chain with a split in the Main bus. There's probably a better option, although I think the best option is to bite the bullet and get control room emulation software. The Waves Ocean Way Nashville Nx is $35 (or 7 Starbucks Coffee Units, haha) and I think it's quite good.

by garyanderson5 on Sat May 11, 2024 4:21 am
Anderton wrote
garyanderson5 wroteNice one. It works pretty good this way with minimum fuss. :thumbup:

All true, but remember the OP wanted to do it using Studio One's tools, without needing additional software. The only solution I can think of is putting the plugins that emulate the crossfeed in parallel with the main bus, either through the Listen bus or an FX Chain with a split in the Main bus. There's probably a better option, although I think the best option is to bite the bullet and get control room emulation software. The Waves Ocean Way Nashville Nx is $35 (or 7 Starbucks Coffee Units, haha) and I think it's quite good.

There used to be a free crossfeed plugin but for the life of me I can't remember it's name. You could use it with Morphit as the demo never ran out you just couldn't save inside unless you payed for it. Bite the bullet I would agree, there's a few options now for not a lot of money in the sales.

by redskyroad on Sat May 11, 2024 7:31 pm
Considering that I'm already using SoundID for Headphones from Sonarworks, I bought their Virtual Monitoring add-in yesterday. At first my mix sounded lacking in the low-mids but I thought, "let's EQ it until I like it again and do the car test again" (best option I have to monitor against my reference tracks without room issues, and quite revealing).

I was absolutely shocked at how better it sounded. My kick always had a "woody, knocking" sound in the car just couldn't hear up close on my headphones. With the cross-feed add-on from SoundID, it revealed that in an instance. My low-mids that I EQ'd back in after enabling the add-on, gave my mix the body that it lacked.

All-in-all, my sound translated WAY better now between what I hear on the headphones vs. in the car.

Windows 11 Pro
RME Babyface Soundcard
SSL UF1 Controller

20 posts
Page 1 of 1