9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've tested in both Studio One and Reaper and it's the same.

I have an Alesis Q49 USB keyboard. When I play/record an instrument with the metronome it sounds in time, more or less - the human factor taken into account obviously. On play back though everything is earlier than the actual performance.

For years I thought my timing sucks and it does to a certain extent but not nearly as much as playback would make me believe.

Where is the evidence? Well, if I set the latency buffer really low (32 or 64) and I route my real time performance to an audio track (which is recording) and I record the midi as well, on playback the midi is always way earlier than the audio. In theory the audio should be slightly later because of the latency, right?

Now, the obvious thing here would be that the generic USB driver is bad, or the keyboard is bad, or something like that, but why is the live recorded audio so much closer to the grid, taking into consideration the latency obviously?

I initially thought it was Reaper placing the midi early but now that Studio One does it as well I am starting to think MIDI is broken in general?

I've actually done a whole song by only recording the midi to audio on the fly and it's way easier to edit.

Any ideas?
by Tacman7 on Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 am
If your midi and audio recordings don't line up then you have a problem, had that happen long ago. That had to do with use midi timestamp which put midi forward in time.

There's a lot of variables, main ones are your equipment and settings.

So more information is needed, some screen shots would help.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by edlane1 on Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:39 am
Thank you.

Yes, as expected it must be my equipment or settings. Just can't get my head around Studio One actually recording the audio correctly but then playing the midi back early. The midi must be coming in correctly, what is it with my equipment that makes Studio One place the notes early when the evidence is there that it's coming in correctly. Just does not makes sense.

I will do as you suggest asap.

Thank you.
by BobF on Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 pm
If the offset is consistent, you might be able to dial it in with Options>Advanced>MIDI>Record Offset

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by edlane1 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:27 am
BobF wroteIf the offset is consistent, you might be able to dial it in with Options>Advanced>MIDI>Record Offset

Thank you for this :) I will try it and let you know.
by edlane1 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:27 am
BobF wroteIf the offset is consistent, you might be able to dial it in with Options>Advanced>MIDI>Record Offset

Thank you for this :) I will try it and let you know.
by edlane1 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:41 am

It seems like 12 ms is the fix. It seems like the problem (placing midi notes early) gets worse as the CPU usage increases so now that I know about this feature I can change the setting during a session.

Thank you for so much.
by edlane1 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 pm

I am working on a song at the moment. For the first time in years midi is responding as expected.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
by BobF on Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:17 pm
edlane1 wrote

I am working on a song at the moment. For the first time in years midi is responding as expected.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Glad it's working out for you.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ

9 posts
Page 1 of 1