4 posts
Page 1 of 1
When I updated to Studio One 6.6, my sample rate was reset to 512 (no wonder I was suddenly able to play back a stack of unbounced instrument tracks) but final output was very slow. When I felt that my first mixdowns were grainy, I looked at the audio settings - and then boosted them back to 4096 / max dropout protection. And my rendering speed dramatically improved from minus 1.7x to plus 5.1x. Who'd a thunk it, huh?
by jebbyslonar on Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:50 am
DavidMaurand wroteWhen I updated to Studio One 6.6, my sample rate was reset to 512 (no wonder I was suddenly able to play back a stack of unbounced instrument tracks) but final output was very slow. When I felt that my first mixdowns were grainy, I looked at the audio settings - and then boosted them back to 4096 / max dropout protection. And my rendering speed dramatically improved from minus 1.7x to plus 5.1x. Who'd a thunk it, huh?

So you mean buffer size. So you really use a 4096 buffer eh? I have seen that option in various places but I never would have considered it. So what exactly does it do for you? I use 512 all the time which is more than most of the other people use. I always see people say that they wanna use 128. I am glad to have a more modern machine now so I can use 512 and there are no problems recording 90 tracks in all of MIDI, insts, buses, fx and audio (~9*stereo).

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Searching for a new place to upload this music and videos? There is no place decent anymore too many morons on Bitchute, and too much censorship everywhere else.
by DavidMaurand on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:21 am
Under Preferences > Audio setup the dropdown box offers the values in terms of samples, e.g. "512 samples". Is that buffer? I'm not sure! But the lower this number is the lower the latency monitoring an input device, and the easier it is to play back instruments without rendering tracks. The higher sample rate definitely improves audio quality in production, which is the reason I looked at the setting and learned the 6.6 update reset it to 512, giving me a noticeably inferior mixdown. Since I don't manually input music - I export midi from a notation program - I use the higher rate all the time.
by jebbyslonar on Sat May 04, 2024 2:52 am
DavidMaurand wroteUnder Preferences > Audio setup the dropdown box offers the values in terms of samples, e.g. "512 samples". Is that buffer? I'm not sure! But the lower this number is the lower the latency monitoring an input device, and the easier it is to play back instruments without rendering tracks. The higher sample rate definitely improves audio quality in production, which is the reason I looked at the setting and learned the 6.6 update reset it to 512, giving me a noticeably inferior mixdown. Since I don't manually input music - I export midi from a notation program - I use the higher rate all the time.

Better sounding? Pretty sure that you may be thinking of sample rate. Sample buffer size distortion is not noticable at 512 on good quality computers. I used to have a few issues with laptops as Windows background processes (such as their virus scan or the automatic tasks of the Windows services) would cause the sample rate to suddenly fail during live streaming, and I would typically have to either change the buffer size to get it back on, or restart the interface. It used to be a pretty bad problem for those laptops. Even my Ryzen 7 on an ASUS ROG would throw up this problem. Earlier times using my Lenovo and Pro Tools, the Buffer would suddenly start to crackle, or static layer over everything. I learned the trick of changing the buffer size at that time, just to get it back 'online' with how it should sound and no static or pops. That computer had (has) only 4 cores ( am using it to type this great computer it's a rock I love my Lenovo).

More recent versions of Windows seemed to do something to alleviate the buffer problems, which I didn't experience much after 2020. You could go back to old live streams I did and actually, if the rainmeter was on, it would show that a sudden windows service process would pop up at the moment that the static onset happened. In those days I was using a Fast Track Ultra 8R mainly as my interface. I haven't had the problem at all in my new machine or new Presonus Interfaces setup.

Here is a quick read about Buffer Sizes I found that I agree with: https://homestudiomagic.com/what-is-daw ... d-quality/

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Searching for a new place to upload this music and videos? There is no place decent anymore too many morons on Bitchute, and too much censorship everywhere else.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1