4 posts
Page 1 of 1
The 'events' you get in a folder's header track are just coloured strips, nothing in them and nothing you can do with them, not even change the colour per section. Or maybe I missed something?

Anyway, would be nice if you could put them to better use. Any ideas?
by Lokeyfly on Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:40 am
I think colers by section would be visually convoluted, but mmv of course. I dont see any advantage there. Perhaps with naration where effects come in or out? Dunno. The arranger track can already be that visual yard stick. The folder really only houses its tracks, so storing things like my acoustic guitar tracks from elec guitar works perfectly. The folder solos and mutes its contents nicely. It slices, it dices, and well, that's about it. I suppose if we're being creative, folder contents could carry some useful additions. I'd be expecting it to be able to drop any over bearing control if one wishes to remove an internal track out of the folder. After all, it's a folder.

Giving a folder let's say some additional global control of its contents could be something like:

* Global pitch of internal contents. This could be somewhat easy if it works the the way the track inspector works. So let's say it varies global pitch for each track. Remove a track, and the track can (optionally) hold its pitch, or release it. Though I think releasing it could get convoluted. So yeah, retains the pitch. Even changes pitch, based on scales would be nice.

* Gain envelope - Right click on the folder to select ✔️ gain envelope, just as done with an event. This globally controls all events within. Remove a track from a folflder and select if gain is to be retained on that track.

* Global automation - same as above as automation could be implemented. That might be solely for mixer level and pan, again with the option to release automation if a track is removed.

That's about it, though one could add
* chord change capability,
* contents name editing.
* global time forward, backward (jog) of contents within. Nice for drums/percussion.

I tried to make these folder suggestions tangible.
If none of this ever happened by way of folder capability, I'd be fine with that. I'd quite honestly rather see some better nuts and bolts DAW implementation added, but that's another subject not to be added here.

Good thought. Maybe others have some useful ideas as well.
:idea:

S1-6.6, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by SwitchBack on Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:45 am
Most of the time I add a bus for each folder too, which allows the automation. But the tuning would be something new. Interesting :)

Coloring by section can be used to indicate 'finished' or 'needs work' or 'currently muted' or whatever. Allows a status-at-a-glance overview for the song when all folders are collapsed. But you can use it for whatever you like :)

Even better if you could have text in there too. Maybe through a notes track option in folders? (like the grouping on/off): When on it adds a track to the folder for text events. And the group's header track then inherits the content of the notes track (height, length of the events, text, colors). Useful?
by Lokeyfly on Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:00 pm
Why not. All good. I have a limited use for folders, but sure, dividing sections with some notes, color or indicators for whatever could be useful. Not unsimilar to spreadsheet usefulness. I get it.

All this not interfering with bus capability, I probably forgot to mention earlier.

I use the arrangement track for its sole purpose, but also to flag areas I have to return to complete edits at a later date, or if I'm juggling between several songs. I'll make that area red and it pertains to something within that region needs attention. The track notes can add to that. But hey, a folder works, or pop up notes could be quite useful. Even tracks consolidated for some purpose.

All potentially useful. ;)

S1-6.6, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

4 posts
Page 1 of 1