23 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
jchark2002 wrote
jyarnold wroteI'm considering moving to a laptop away from my beefy homebuilt DAW for space reasons. I thought about finally going to a MacBook but quickly realized I'd be giving up touch screen capabilities, which I love. I'm using a SL SC32 S3. This is for my home studio and, it's getting cramped.

Any recos or gotchas when moving to a laptop? I'm considering this one: Surface Laptop Studio 2: 13th Gen Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 with 2 USB-C ports

Beefy enuf? Here's my existing setup with touch screen monitor
The attachment daw.jpg is no longer available

I actually have Surface Pro3- completely amp'd up and still under warranty a few more months- and everything was fine and wonderful with Studio One 6... until this last update in April and now I see no posts on the subject and I cannot even start a new audio recording (with audiobox go). Admittedly I am a pt-timer, so I miss a lot of details- but if anyone knows why it keeps freezing or doesn't even let me work a project or save-- please let me know. I have Melodyne and several plug in's I bought with the last version, and have plenty of system memory still-- but now StudioOne seems useless. smh and I am not sure where to ask the questions even--

what I do is don't update. If something works I don't fix it. I used to update stuff, but once they took the presets off their Ampire plugin, I became wary of updates. Of course there have been many improvements I wanted that's why I am on version 6.1 now. It just works. And when I used to use laptops making music was ALWAYS about the BSOD. I had regular BSOD on laptops, and when the batteries burst out puffing out the laptops it was just one more thing. Most laptop mfg doesn't include battery charging regulating software. Razer battery blew up, ASUS battery blew up. Plus, you people who are recording at bars and clubs and whatnot, with Laptops, or using them to do music things on stage, it can't be relied on to work with battery. I am sure there are outlets in bars and clubs and churches, but what a chore to have to find one and stay near it. OK so that's no big deal to you, but then I can not see why you want to get a laptop at home. Have you had a BSOD yet OP?

I never had a 'tower' or desktop till 2023, but I really like it. Yesterday I recorded 89 tracks of instruments, audio, MIDI, buses, effects for 2 hours and 12 minutes, and checking the task manager afterwards I saw it did go up to 40GB ram (out of 48). I guess I stopped it just in time, and it did take 4 minutes or 5 to resolve the 40GB up to 41 then slowly back down till it was at 1 and the Play button unlit and the stop button went blue. Still, it happened fast enough for me, and now I have the full 8 instruments of stereo audio of myself playing, (2 st inputs on the Prophet so I guess that's 9) over 2:12:xx amount of time.

Also the OBS on the AORUS ELITE sends out the video stream including the 6 visual analyzer instances. I use VBAN to take in the Roland ins (USB ins) and route them back to the ADAT outs on the 2nd interface. AORUS ELITE 570 with 12 core Ryzen (12/24 cores) has the 10 or 12 inputs to USB, and I can even play Minecraft with Ray Tracing on it. GREAT! I don't know if everyone knows this, but the number of cores is THE most important thing for music production. Every audio thread goes onto a core and gets written up by that core in order, with all of the plugins it goes thru. Anyways that is not the technical expert description but that is how I understand it.

Now if your TOWER computer is getting in the way, do what I did, make a shelf on the wall, so you can still see the pretty lights, and put it above your drumset. in your space.(fig 1). I want to get a double wide screen cause that would be cool but I hardly have enough space for that above my drums but it would be very good. :+1 I recommend the best bookshelf I am using, which I got at a little wood things and local furnishings (not Ikea) made locally store which doubles as a hardware store. Very simple piney wood bare bones book shelf that I anchor to the wall on all sides (fig 2).

20240226_104717.jpg
(fig 1) small spaces are better if you know how to craft shelves and get the right bookshelf.

Screenshot (2117).png
(fig 2) no sides and no back with plenty of space between wood shelf boards nailed or stapled like ribs on the rectangular level frame. Best for running cables for your home network and everything else.
Last edited by jebbyslonar on Sat May 04, 2024 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Searching for a new place to upload this music and videos? There is no place decent anymore too many morons on Bitchute, and too much censorship everywhere else.
by warrenbones on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:57 pm
Vocalpoint wroteNot a Mac guy BTW - dedicated Windows workstation over here - but have never seen a Surface do any good except hang and look pretty at meetings. Nice piece of kit but not definitely not designed for audio/multimedia work.

Well, I've used a Surface Pro 2 and a 3 year old, refurbished Surface Pro 5 on stage and as my studio machines, at various times, without any problems at all.
In all my travels - when it comes to audio and laptops in the same sentence - there is Apple and then there is everything else.

My experience has been the opposite. We've been using PC laptops on stage, playing in realtime (not stems) since about 2004 and never had the tiniest problem. OTOH, most of the touring bands we've supported over the years use Macs and have horror stories about how unreliable they can be. One band (KMFDM, if you're interested) have two MacBooks on stage, just in case one falls over, which they have found to be a regular enough occurrence to justify the expense. I also recall VNV Nation having to completely rebuild one of their MacBooks between sound check and their show. Fortunately they were only using it to play a softsynth, their backing was all on a CD-R at the front-of-house. If they'd had to reinstall a DAW and all the plugins, I doubt they'd have been ready in time.

Anyway, I buy a lot of laptops, sometimes more than one per year (whenever I see a good bargain that I know I won't lose much money on at resale time), but I have finally settled on a machine I will be using for the foreseeable future. It's an Asus 2-in-1, a RoG Z13 Flow, with a 12th gen Core i9, 16GB RAM proper nVivida RTX graphics and a super-fast SSD. I think it can be had with up to 32GB of RAM and a 1TB nVME SSD but mine is a factory refurb that I got on the cheap. I bought it towards the end of last year and we've already used it a couple of times on stage and it's been great. I had a Core i5 version of the same machine, which I used to produce our last album and it was flawless, too. The Core i9 is a big step up for the Core i7 in my last laptop (same gen) and where my CPU meter used to sit at about 60-70% , I've never see it above 40% with the Core i9. It's an absolute beast of a thing.

Z13.png

It does get quite hot, but not uncomfortably so, and whilst you can hear the fans at times, that's because they vent out of the top of the chassis, so they are very close to your ears. It is actually pretty quiet. The PSU seems to get hotter than the device itself.

I chose this over a newer Surface because it's a gaming device, so it's designed from the get-go for heavy workloads. It also comes with a keyboard/cover and stylus, which makes it way better value than a Surface Pro, too. It's only a 13.4" screen but at home I have it hooked up to a big monitor so it's not really a limitation. If I'm honest, though, I bought it because it looks so damned cool! Like the OP's tower, it has a transparent panel around the back with flashing LED lights, like any good gaming rig should. It looks great on stage, where I have it at about a 60 degree angle so I can utilise the touch screen and it doesn't look so much like I've got a computer on stage.

NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.
by jebbyslonar on Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 am
jebbyslonar wrote
Now if your TOWER computer is getting in the way, do what I did, make a shelf on the wall, so you can still see the pretty lights, and put it above your drumset. in your space.(fig 1). I want to get a double wide screen cause that would be cool but I hardly have enough space for that above my drums but it would be very good. :+1 .

Holy heck I just got that double wide screen on a in store credit after a poorly chosen phone purchase (anything by the sanctioned company Huawei or other Chinese junk such bad flash storage so slow and shady advertisers all over the internet for their 6 years behind processors) phone was returned, couldn't get the cash back, at Media Markt. Used the store credit for this LG double wide monitor, and it is highly recommended to do so for users of studio one if you have 450 dollars of in store credit. This fits like the last piece of the puzzle should. Snug fit from wall L to bass case, R and just clears the guitar above and drums below.

20240511_094130.jpg
LG 34WP75C 3440x1440 display

Screenshot (3224).png
the screenshot of my OBS recording, always a zoom and follow on the mouse, just multiply your old zoom crop and source crop filter by 1.791666667 and voila. Look at the FX columns how many I see and the tracks above. Used to see 3 tracks above and 4 or 5 FX high in the Mix window columns. Plus of course over 20 Tracks wide...massive difference. This is zoomed mind you and following the mouse movements for the video, but I see the whole screen there from my Drums.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Searching for a new place to upload this music and videos? There is no place decent anymore too many morons on Bitchute, and too much censorship everywhere else.

23 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2