19 posts
Page 1 of 1
Whenever I use studio one bespoke instruments Im getting CPU spikes. Support told me it was my audio interface so I bought one of theirs (studio24c). Problem is happening again but only with bespoke instruments, plugins from Reason and NI work fine. Getting seriously annoyed with the amount of money and I feel in a worse situation than with Reason. Definitely more crashes and performance issues.

DAW Studio One 6 Professional.Windows 11 MotherboardAsusTek Prime B760 Plus D4 CPU13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700K 3400Mhz 16 Core(s) 24 Logocal Processors RAM32GB DRive2TB SSDKeyboardAcorn Masterkey61GraphicsIntel UHD Graphics 770Plugins Reason 12 Suite, NI Komplete 14 Collectors Edition and more
by Vocalpoint on Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:38 am
andyprctr wroteWhenever I use studio one bespoke instruments Im getting CPU spikes. Support told me it was my audio interface so I bought one of theirs (studio24c). Problem is happening again but only with bespoke instruments, plugins from Reason and NI work fine.

Define "CPU spike" - there is a lot you are not telling us here.

Like what OS? What version of Studio One? What kind of machine? What kinda stuff is already running in a session before you add a bespoke instrument. And most importantly - what CPU?

Studio One runs very well in almost all situations but cannot overcome limitations imposed by older hardware, too much other stuff going on while using an instrument etc.

Available CPU is not infinite.

And maybe consider filling out your profile (like mine below) so we can see what you are rocking with.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by andyprctr on Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:08 am
By spike I mean a CPU surge into the red which causes clicking and popping. This is only happening with Studio Ones bespoke instruments and happens with very simple things, like a simple HH in impact or a slow arpeggio in Presence and Maitai.

DAW Studio One 6 Professional.Windows 11 MotherboardAsusTek Prime B760 Plus D4 CPU13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700K 3400Mhz 16 Core(s) 24 Logocal Processors RAM32GB DRive2TB SSDKeyboardAcorn Masterkey61GraphicsIntel UHD Graphics 770Plugins Reason 12 Suite, NI Komplete 14 Collectors Edition and more
by Vocalpoint on Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:46 pm
andyprctr wroteBy spike I mean a CPU surge into the red which causes clicking and popping. This is only happening with Studio Ones bespoke instruments and happens with very simple things, like a simple HH in impact or a slow arpeggio in Presence and Maitai.

Ah - I think I may have a clue now that you have filled out your profile.

I just completed a massive deep dive in these very same CPU spikes when I built out my new DAW here about three months ago and it was all surrounding Windows 11.

Do not have enough time to detail it all here - but the first thing I would get you to do - is download a free tool called Latency Monitor and let it create a report against your machine.

When using LM - green is good and red is bad. When I ran it against my new machine (all the bits and pieces in my sig) - I was shocked to see the report with massive RED - here is the before:

2024-01-15_12-20-23.png

I had massive spikes just like you are seeing - some instruments acted up and some did not. It was the most frustrating build experience I have had yet.

But once I found out exactly what Windows 11 is doing to our "modern" 12/13/14Gen CPUs in terms of core management (and it's so called Thread Director) - it all became clear.

In my case - and my i5-13600K - almost all the cores were "parked" (100% of the time) leaving just two to handle everything that could be happening in a typical Studio One session. Of course it was spike city.

I then needed to study Win 11 power settings to stop core parking, went deep on how to unlock them and then things started to settle down. I also dumped Win 11 and rolled back to Win 10 - where all my cores run full out and low and behold - no spikes now.

Your hardware looks good - but Win 11 can be very problematic unless you really know what to look for. Bottom line - this has nothing to do with Studio One and it's awesome bespoke instruments.

Here is my "after" report once I unlocked the cores and got everything settled down:

2024-01-15_13-32-00.png

This was a Win 11 screencap - it is even lower with Windows 10 now

Be curious to see what Latency Mon displays for your machine.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by andyprctr on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:15 pm
Heres mine.

Wouldn't support have picked up on this?

Attachments
Screenshot (19).png

by Vocalpoint on Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:01 pm
andyprctr wroteWouldn't support have picked up on this?

Presonus Support?

They are not concerned with low level OS stuff like this. And this has nothing to do with Studio One anyway - it's Windows 11

VP

by andyprctr on Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:18 am
They sell it as working in Windows 11, that means it should work in Windows 11. NI stuff all works as does Reason stuff in Studio One, its strange that the beespoke instruments don't work yes other far more cpu intensive plugins by other manufacturers do.

by Vocalpoint on Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:07 am
andyprctr wroteThey sell it as working in Windows 11, that means it should work in Windows 11. NI stuff all works as does Reason stuff in Studio One, its strange that the beespoke instruments don't work yes other far more cpu intensive plugins by other manufacturers do.

Well - think what you want - but Presonus is not going to worry about core parking in WIndows 11 and how our Latency Mon reports look.

As soon as I addressed my issue here - by tweaking some very obscure Windows 11 power settings to unlock these cores - everything worked properly. Including any and all Presonus software.

Suggest you do the same. If you are expecting them to rewrite the bespoke instruments when almost no other user is reporting any problem - I think you can see where this will go.

VP

by andyprctr on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:11 am
My impression going off what you say is that Presonus couldn't care less about the end user.

I've asked themfor a refund, their software should work and it doesn't.

by Vocalpoint on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:19 am
andyprctr wroteMy impression going off what you say is that Presonus couldn't care less about the end user. I've asked them for a refund, their software should work and it doesn't.

That is a very strange impression.

Presonus cannot (and will not) guarantee 100% flawless operation across thousands of hardware configurations - especially custom builds like ours.

And they do not control or influence how Windows 11 works (or might work) in any way shape or form. If you want to blame someone in this instance - blame Microsoft (AND Intel quite frankly) and their idiotic pursuit of "power savings" with their poorly designed Thread Director for this specific hassle.

This issue has been a sore spot in Windows 11 since it launched. It is not a secret and affects everyone from us DAW users to gamers and everyone in between. That is the true culprit in this instance.

But you do you. Continued success on the refund.

VP

by andyprctr on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:23 am
Ive been speaking to their support and theyve never mentioned core parking once.

by Vocalpoint on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:29 am
andyprctr wroteIve been speaking to their support and theyve never mentioned core parking once.

And why would they?

This topic is a deep dark hole of some weird obscure stuff that only an Intel engineer could love.

It's a topic that I would have rather not known about either - but in my case - it was a massive annoying problem (see my initial Latency Mon report).

But I did not immediately file a case with Presonus and blame them.

I took a deep look at my new machine (and especially Windows 11) and discovered the cause (and solution) to the issue myself. And ultimately ditched the real problem - Windows 11 and now back on Win 10 - it's smooth sailing.

But I am not surprised that Presonus support is not concerned with this obscure angle.

Presonus may be testing on machines (or configs) that likely bear little resemblance to what you and I have built.

Every machine is unique and every machine is capable of unique problems that may (or may not) effect the operation of Studio One.

Presonus Q&A/Testing has one primary directive - to confirm that Studio One works (for what they are specifically testing for) on a typical OS - not to suss out every possible negative environmental OS issue.

VP

by andyprctr on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:53 am
"And why would they? "

Because its a potential solution and they say they are doing everything they can to solve it.

Anyway we're going in circles, thanks for your time and assistance here.

by Vocalpoint on Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:23 am
andyprctr wrote Anyway we're going in circles, thanks for your time and assistance here.

Well - the only reason we are going in circles is because you remain incredulous that Presonus is not in the loop on this.

I have provided you a solid solution and I can confirm it works.

Hope you get things settled down over there.

VP

by garyanderson5 on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:43 am
Windows 11 can be a bit fiddley but it's no worse than WIN10. If your using a modern Intel chip 11 is the better option. The biggest problem is things that start up and shut down, power up or power down. Higher core counts on modern chips cause high interupts from parked cores. Obviously more cores have a higher chance of interupts. Windows 11 or 10 set to Ultimate performace mode is supposed to stop core parking but it doesn't always work. I use a core park app instead to control it. Pic below of my LatencyMon. The interupts are as low as I can get them. I can run it for 30mins and it doesn't change much at all. I am online 24/7 as well with security and anti virus running etc.

I did very few bios tweeks. I disabled Intel speed shift/ speed step. C-states and EIST. These three regulate power saving and turbo etc. Your system will use a bit more juice but that's only because your cores will stop ramping up and down. After that I applied a simple undervolt to keep my 13900k under 90c in Cinibench R32 multi core benchmarking. In reality my system is under 75c constantly even when I tested gaming. I installed GFX driver Only or minimal option. I did a small debloat of apps I never use and shut some telemetry services down. Other than that WIN11 is running stock with no services disabled unlike the old days.

Modern Intel chips are nothing like older 9900k's for example. They are running flat out right out of the box like a pre overclock to hit max turbo per core and most boards have no power limit set in the bios at first build. Undervolting is like the new overclocking. You can gain more performance by preventing the chip from throttling down via an undervolt. Almost every new Intel will throttle down giving you less performace without an undervolt because they can hit 100c with multi thread benchmarking in seconds.

In all honesty I prefer WIN10, WIN11 gave me the most issue's trying to control it vs WIN10. I just put this down to the new tech being different to set up from the bios to the OS. Windows 11 has a nasty explorer issue where it stops indexing properly. Lot's of complaints about it where opening folders take ages to populate the files. If like me you have this issue. Open explorer, hit f11 to go full screen then hit f11 again to exit full screen mode in explorer. Windows 11 will index properly till next boot. It's random for me, S1 or any app indexes perfect everytime but explorer is sadley not working right for many people. If you see the message working on it I think it says opening folders and really slow indexing. Use the f11 work around. You can restart explorer ofc but f11 works great.

If you need help getting those numbers down try these threads below or ask some of the guys Like Pictus or Skwaidu.I always refer back to the guys there when I build a new system. Some of the guys are really helpfull if your having problems. Links Below.

https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... on-14.html

https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... d-736.html

Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-23 170005.png

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by Vocalpoint on Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:53 pm
garyanderson5 wroteIn reality my system is under 75c constantly even when I tested gaming. I installed GFX driver Only or minimal option. I did a small debloat of apps I never use and shut some telemetry services down. Other than that WIN11 is running stock with no services disabled unlike the old days.

Gary

Nice update. I did all your usual BIOS tweaks and other stock settings when I built this new DAW - but could not overcome the core parking nonsense and had to go deep to get it under control.

Both ParkControl and Power Settings Explorer are the bomb. Those two fixed my issue right up.

I do have to admit that I am shocked at your reported CPU temps though. Under a full S1 session here - my CPU is at 33C and that is with a 17% overclock and one of the two or three Intel XMP profiles designed for my board.

I could not imagine my CPU at 50C let alone 75C or higher. Have not a fan make a single roaring/cooling burst yet after three months.

What exactly are you doing/running to drive the temps that high?

VP

by garyanderson5 on Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:31 pm
Vocalpoint wrote
garyanderson5 wroteIn reality my system is under 75c constantly even when I tested gaming. I installed GFX driver Only or minimal option. I did a small debloat of apps I never use and shut some telemetry services down. Other than that WIN11 is running stock with no services disabled unlike the old days.

Gary

Nice update. I did all your usual BIOS tweaks and other stock settings when I built this new DAW - but could not overcome the core parking nonsense and had to go deep to get it under control.

Both ParkControl and Power Settings Explorer are the bomb. Those two fixed my issue right up.

I do have to admit that I am shocked at your reported CPU temps though. Under a full S1 session here - my CPU is at 33C and that is with a 17% overclock and one of the two or three Intel XMP profiles designed for my board.

I could not imagine my CPU at 50C let alone 75C or higher. Have not a fan make a single roaring/cooling burst yet after three months.

What exactly are you doing/running to drive the temps that high?

VP

72C is not normal use or DAW work. Sorry if that's that how I put it across lol.

The 72c is a 13900k at 100% system load under benchmarking using all cores at max turbo in Cinabench R32 using the multicore benchmark test. If you want to see how hot your CPU will hit at max all core load and the voltage it needs, run the Cinebench R32 Multicore benchmark test. My system sits at 32c idle and bairly hits 40- 50c for anything non gaming as you say. 13900k runs a fair bit hotter than a 13600k but only because it has more cores meaning more voltage in a multicore scenario. The 13900k on the AIO is no hotter than my 9900k build with a 5ghz all core overclock with a Dark Rock Pro air cooler. 24 cores vs 8. It's deathly silent in my be-quiet case, I use a 420mm AIO. I did change the fans on it for the new be quiet silent wings 4 pro as those Artic P14 fans are to resonant at 800-900rpm.

The reason I mentioned the 72C was this is the maximum upper limit after undervolting a 13900k under full load across all cores. I did have a Noctua D-16 Air cooler and managed 92C under bench marking on AIR. I only switched to the Artic Freezer pro 2 420mm as it dropped 20c of the max load instantly. Silent cases are notorious for having sub par air flow vs a more vented gaming case so it's worth testing how hot the system will reach. I use a be-quiet Dark Base 900 atm. Nice and quiet but it doesn't have the best air flow on offer. My 9900k system was the older be-quiet Dark base case. I like their products and it gave me a nice way to compare old vs new so to speak.

With a fresh new build at stock settings Cinabench R32 multicore benchmark will make almost any new INTEL CPU hit the 100c tjmax in a crack wich is why undervolting is important along with decent cooling etc. I have done two 13900k systems and a 13600k so far and all of them throttled the cpu down with stock settings under R32 multicore bench marking. In reality no one runs a system at 100% all cores ofc, it does help to dial your system in knowing the upper limits of heat for fan curves etc. Silent build is important to me so once I know the upper limits I can dial the system in to run as silent as possible.

Your right about the core parking. Windows is a pain at managing it. Corepark app is stress free set and forget, easy. Process Lasso is handy but I havn't had any problems for me to use it this time round.

Pics below of my 13900k on AIR and AIO along with my 9900k build from 4-5 years ago.

Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-24 032418.png
Screenshot 2024-03-24 030054.png
Screenshot 2024-03-24 030030.png

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by ansolas on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:47 am
I also get CPU spikes under macOS / macMini M1 anytime when using the StudioOne browser or tweaking ProEQ or with some instrument plugins, no matter which buffersize or dropout protection selected.

Presonus StudioOne 6, Apple Logic
__
macOS, macMini M1 1TB SSD / 16 GB RAM,
MOTU M2, Behringer X-Touch & 2*X-Touch Extender,
https://ansolas.de
by garyanderson5 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:58 am
ansolas wroteI also get CPU spikes under macOS / macMini M1 anytime when using the StudioOne browser or tweaking ProEQ or with some instrument plugins, no matter which buffersize or dropout protection selected.

I use Windows so I can't comment on Mac. I have seen spiking before but it was always adjusting plugins. Mainly third party where an update fixed it. I don't really use S1 plugins but the last time I used the built in compressor it was spiking hard under extreme sidechain compression. One of the only internal plugins I use to be honest. It's been ok of late though. I don't really use dropout protection I have it on low and adjust my interface rather than S1. I never did like it to be honest.

19 posts
Page 1 of 1