10 posts
Page 1 of 1
When I setup SO for binaural panning for on my headphones, I only get options to move left and right, but how do I move the object back to front and up and down?

Cheers!
Maarten
by SwitchBack on Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:37 pm
Binaural panning (as opposed to binaural recording) is a stereo panning tool. It doesn't provide depth which, historically, is a mixing art involving use of reverb, filtering and relative delay. But with the Dolby Atmos engine integrated in Studio One 6 that may have become a lot easier.
by ennbr on Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:37 am
Have you tried to use the Object Panner that allows putting an object in a 3d space
it will even let you automate the object and move it around as the song progresses

Bruce

Computers:
Mini PC Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 boot, 4TB data Win 11
Laptop ASUS Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 4TB SSD data Win 11
Software: Studio One Pro 6, Notion 6.8, Melodyne Studio 5
Audio Interfaces: Moto 1248, M4
External Storage: Samples 3x 2TB SSD's, Projects 4TB SSD
by Demious on Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:22 am
What I'm talking about is binaural monitoring over headphones, which should provide positioning all around the listener.
I've been doing this with the DearVR plugin for quite some time and I have seen/heard the possibilities with spatial positioning, all done from the panning section, when set up for binaural headphone monitoring. No further reverb of other mix techniques used to provide depth or height.

Cheers!
Maarten
by Demious on Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:44 am
ennbr wroteHave you tried to use the Object Panner that allows putting an object in a 3d space

That is indeed what I'm after. I've been able to find it in the manual, but it's another thing to find it in SO. At the moment I have found a few on the master busses, but this is not fit for object panning, because I can only use it to pan complete groups of instruments.
Anyone any advise on how to pan specific instruments?

Cheers!
Maarten
by ennbr on Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:13 am
I can create an instrument that's routed to Main and change the panner to a Spatial Object Panner I have not tried much with audio tracks though

Bruce

Computers:
Mini PC Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 boot, 4TB data Win 11
Laptop ASUS Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 4TB SSD data Win 11
Software: Studio One Pro 6, Notion 6.8, Melodyne Studio 5
Audio Interfaces: Moto 1248, M4
External Storage: Samples 3x 2TB SSD's, Projects 4TB SSD
by Demious on Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:01 pm
ennbr wroteI can create an instrument that's routed to Main and change the panner to a Spatial Object Panner I have not tried much with audio tracks though

I can do that, but instruments would normally go to their instrument sum (e.a. I use 1 guitar track for middle and I use a doubled track for left and right, being summed together in a sum bus), this goes into the group bus, and the group bus goes to the master...

But from what I've been able to figure out so far, channels only get object panning when they are directly connected to the master, so we're pretty much obligated to use complete groups as object, instead of a specific instrument.

Cheers!
Maarten
by SwitchBack on Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:13 pm
Did you make sure only to use 'Atmos channels' and 'Atmos buses'? Mono tracks and/or buses will change signals to mono. It was like that before Atmos (just stereo) so with Atmos it's like that still, probably.
by Demious on Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:25 pm
Yep, but I like to see a mono track as a object in the most literal way. When I have a ball (sound from a single direction), I would like to be able pick it up and walk around the room with it. It's not about going back to the (mono) source, its all about implementing the mono source in the spatial environment, moving from the mono source, towards all kinds of stereo and spatial options.

Cheers!
Maarten
by SwitchBack on Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:53 pm
Yes, the source can be mono but as soon as you start panning then the rest of the path has to be 'Atmos' or it won't work.

It's much like inserting a stereo plugin on a mono channel: The input will be mono, the plugin will produce stereo, but then the signal continues on that mono channel as mono. So the input can be mono but the channel and subsequent buses have to be stereo, or 'Atmos' in this case.

Also note that channel panning comes after the channel fader. So you should be able to pan individual mono channels just as long as those channels feed into a stereo/Atmos bus.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1