6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm currently finding my way around the new Studio one-6.5 release with Dolby Atmos rendering. My question is regarding compatibility with players after rendering. Is there anyone out there with a Sonos surround system (e.g. ARC +surrounds) who has succeeded in rendering a multichannel audio song from Studio One-6.5 in Dolby Atmos and managed to play it from a network drive (NAS) through their system?

As an example, when I stream Dolby Atmos music from Amazon the Atmos logo appears on the Sonos system and it plays fine. Sometimes streaming Amazon and Netflix films also show the Atmos logo, as does playing a blue-ray disc. When I try a rendered file from Studio One-6.5 , anything other than stereo or binaural (Dolby Atmos) fails to play, and shows the message "unrecognised file format". Do I have a misunderstanding of application in this respect, or is it a Studio One-6.5 misconfiguration issue?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Graham.
by lbolen on Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:58 am
I have exactly the same question…

So far I have not found out a file format that will playback from my phone or stream to my Apple TV and output as Dolby Atmos.

There seems to be no hints or help of any sort from Presonus.🤔
by Vocalpoint on Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:55 am
lbolen wroteSo far I have not found out a file format that will playback from my phone or stream to my Apple TV and output as Dolby Atmos.

My understanding of this is that the Presonus Studio One ATMOS implementation creates industry standard (Dolby Labs certified) ADM BWF files as its key output deliverable.

However these files are an intermediate - and they act as input formats for both the Dolby Media Encoder and Dolby Encoding Engine tools.

"The Dolby Media Encoder offers a feature rich UI which makes it easy for a user to configure and encode an audio source file for final delivery to a consumer device"

See here:

https://customer.dolby.com/content-crea ... -ac-4-v340

It is these tools that create the actual file-based deliverables that may work on a phone or a Sonos - but I have no experience with them. It also appears both are licensed products that need to be purchased from either Dolby Labs or other related vendors.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.1.99821 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.250) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by christianmiekus on Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:23 am
lbolen wroteSo far I have not found out a file format that will playback from my phone or stream to my Apple TV and output as Dolby Atmos.

For listening with headphones on your iPhone choose "Binaural" output together with the ADM BWF file. It will create a separate WAV file with "binaural" in its file name.

This binaural WAV can be easily imported into Apple Music and sounds superb on headphones, especially on the Apple AirPods Max.

This is a workaround, because usually you would export an MP4 (M4A) file from the Dolby Atmos Renderer, which is not supported by Studio One.
by grahamrousell on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:46 am
Vocalpoint wrote

My understanding of this is that the Presonus Studio One ATMOS implementation creates industry standard (Dolby Labs certified) ADM BWF files as its key output deliverable.

However these files are an intermediate - and they act as input formats for both the Dolby Media Encoder and Dolby Encoding Engine tools.

"The Dolby Media Encoder offers a feature rich UI which makes it easy for a user to configure and encode an audio source file for final delivery to a consumer device"

See here:

https://customer.dolby.com/content-crea ... -ac-4-v340

It is these tools that create the actual file-based deliverables that may work on a phone or a Sonos - but I have no experience with them. It also appears both are licensed products that need to be purchased from either Dolby Labs or other related vendors.

VP

I think you have nailed it here. I was able to play an MP4 Atmos file to my Sonos system and had it recognised. To my knowledge it would therefore need rendering using the Dolby Media Encoder to obtain the MP4 file from the Studio One ADM output. How to get the Encoder though?
by grahamrousell on Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 am
Latest update, and thanks to all who got me this far....I've not tried it yet but it it seems the solution is to take the Atmos Encoded ADM file from Studio One, then use the Dolby Media Encoder obtain the MP4 file. This will play on systems such as Sonos. Wile it is likely possible to obtain the Media Encoder file for a personal user, it is quite expensive, however it also looks possible to create a low cost account with AWS and then use their encoding services.
In due course I will look to try this, but if anyone else has experience of this I'd be pleased to have confirmation.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1