11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi
This is probably a no brainer but I'm gonna ask anyways. I can see the handle for managing fades in and out on audio tracks but the Instrument tracks don't seem to have this. What is the best way to add fades to an instrument track? Is that where Automation comes in? I haven't looked at that yet.
Mick

iMac running Yosemite.
Presonus Studio One 2.
by cristofe on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:32 am
AFAIK fades are for audio only. To achieve this effect with a MIDI track I believe you either have to render it to audio or, as you guessed, use automation to create a volume envelope.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by michaellamm on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:09 pm
Hi

That's what I thought. Thanks.

Mick

iMac running Yosemite.
Presonus Studio One 2.
by codamedia on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:45 am
You can add a volume automation to any track, even instruments, buss and FX. Actually, you can add envelops for almost anything, but the question here is volume so I will stick to that.

1: From the menu, choose "Track > Add Automation Track". A new track (empty) will appear on the left side. I recommend you name it now so it's easy to identify later.
2: On the new track, click where is says "None" and choose "add/remove". This opens a new window.
3: On the right, expand console and locate your "instrument" you wish to automate. (note: choosing "instrument" here instead of console will automate the actual instrument, not the track... Choosing the instrument through "console" will actually move the slider in the mixer which is what I prefer, but it is up to you)
4: Expand that instrument and click on "volume". Now click the ADD button to move it to the left side.
5: Now click close

You should now have a volume envelope to control your instrument just as you would for any audio track.

Windows 10 Professional, 8 Gig Ram, Q9300 Intel 2.5G CPU, ATI 5400 Video
Firepod Interface, Studio One Artist (64 bit) V2, M-Audio Axiom 49, FaderPort
by tomdonoghue on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:08 pm
codamedia wroteYou can add a volume automation to any track, even instruments, buss and FX. Actually, you can add envelops for almost anything, but the question here is volume so I will stick to that.

1: From the menu, choose "Track > Add Automation Track". A new track (empty) will appear on the left side. I recommend you name it now so it's easy to identify later.
2: On the new track, click where is says "None" and choose "add/remove". This opens a new window.
3: On the right, expand console and locate your "instrument" you wish to automate. (note: choosing "instrument" here instead of console will automate the actual instrument, not the track... Choosing the instrument through "console" will actually move the slider in the mixer which is what I prefer, but it is up to you)
4: Expand that instrument and click on "volume". Now click the ADD button to move it to the left side.
5: Now click close

You should now have a volume envelope to control your instrument just as you would for any audio track.

Hi: This didn't work for me. When I expand console (On the right, expand console and locate your "instrument") , the instrument tracks do not show on the drop down menu, just the audio tracks do. Any help would be appreciated.
by Steve Carter on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:43 pm
You could open your instrument track/tracks in the 'Edit' pane, select all events then draw (pencil or line tool) the required fade in the midi velocity or volume controller pane (bottom) ~ should work.

Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by hello people on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 am
I've got ezdrummer cymbal hits in the outro to my song that ring for about 8 seconds after the end of the song....about 8 seconds too long as far as I'm concerned. I can't figure out how to fade them with the rest of the instruments. Everything else (all my audio tracks) fades nicely...but then this ezdrummer cymbal just keeps ringing and ringing and ringing...regardless, it seems, of how I alter velocity etc. So you have a nice song fade...but this unwelcome cymbal that just wont lie down.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions?

Geez, I just re-read "codamedia's" post above...about track automation. That worked perfectly. Brilliant :)

Thank you

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by Tacman7 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 am
I never use midi volume because it's so non linear and implemented differently in different instruments etc.

Just bounce it?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by dannyjones3 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:26 pm
To automate an instrument track in the edit view, right-click on the volume slider under the instrument name...select "edit volume automation"
by kovach18 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:57 am
Right click the left instrument of your choice when in studio one and click *Transform to Audio track*. Then you will have the option to drag the volume fade ins as if it were a guitar or vocals, etc. I have studio one 4. Hope this helps.

AK
by vladpustai on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 am
kovach18 wroteRight click the left instrument of your choice when in studio one and click *Transform to Audio track*. Then you will have the option to drag the volume fade ins as if it were a guitar or vocals, etc. I have studio one 4. Hope this helps.

AK

Wow, that worked, thanks!

11 posts
Page 1 of 1