38 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi, I've built a new DAW and the CPU does not have built in GFX. So I'm using a Radeon GFX card. I launched SO5 and got this message almost right away:

studio one graphics hardware accelaration issue detected

I can find some things online for addressing this issue on a Mac...but anyone have any tips for Win11?

Thanks

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by Trucky on Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:23 am
Please add your system specs to your signature (see link in mine below) as this helps in answering your questions.

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.6 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by garyanderson5 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:24 am
hello people wroteHi, I've built a new DAW and the CPU does not have built in GFX. So I'm using a Radeon GFX card. I launched SO5 and got this message almost right away:

studio one graphics hardware accelaration issue detected

I can find some things online for addressing this issue on a Mac...but anyone have any tips for Win11?

Thanks

You can enable\disable it on Windows if you have problems. The links below should be enough to solve it hopefully. It looks fairly new for AMD cards on some models. The feature is missing on my system but I don't have the issue either and I don't update my drivers unless I need to. My driver version is 22.11.1 10/112022 for my RX6650XT if it helps at all on the latest WIN11.

https://www.makeuseof.com/hardware-acce ... e-windows/

https://windowsreport.com/hardware-acce ... t-showing/

https://windowsreport.com/radeon-gpu-sc ... g-drivers/

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by hello people on Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:26 am
Thanks fellas. I'll add my specs in my sig soon. For now the issue hasn't come back. So I'll do nothing until it comes back.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by hello people on Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:42 am
hello people wroteThanks fellas. I'll add my specs in my sig soon. For now the issue hasn't come back. So I'll do nothing until it comes back.

Evidently, my computer/ Radeon RX 6600 doesn't even support GPU scheduling and there's no option anyway in Windows to turn it off. I'm starting to have issues now where not only plugins fail to display and I get the message of the thread title...but the entire console view in Studio One turns large fields of grey and I have to restart.

by garyanderson5 on Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:33 am
hello people wrote
hello people wroteThanks fellas. I'll add my specs in my sig soon. For now the issue hasn't come back. So I'll do nothing until it comes back.

Evidently, my computer/ Radeon RX 6600 doesn't even support GPU scheduling and there's no option anyway in Windows to turn it off. I'm starting to have issues now where not only plugins fail to display and I get the message of the thread title...but the entire console view in Studio One turns large fields of grey and I have to restart.

I don't have the option to disable it either. I had a problem with screens going black now and again and still do but it's once in a blue moon. I disabled hardware acceleration in my browser and that fixed browsing. I can get the screen back just moving my mouse. I tried 3 or 4 drivers and had worse results everytime with constant black screens. I ended up using minimal install with Adrenalin so I could make sure, "Wait for vertical refresh->Off, unless application specifies" was set. I don't really have problems anymore but now and again I get a black screen on either or both monitors for a second or two then it's gone. Never had none of this nonsense with my RX570.

This may help.
"In AMD Adrenalin go to Settings->Graphics->Wait for vertical refresh->Off, unless application specifies (If you set it to "Always Off" this bug with hardware acceleration will happen.) After this reboot and it should be solved."

Or this option
"i have figured out that on the latest driver, if you get a horrible problems with acceleration - you should delete AMD PCI Express Downstream Switch Port (GPU will disappear), then update the device list (gpu will reappear again) - acceleration should work fine now. if you lazy to do that - you can get CRU and use the included restart64.exe. from now on - do not touch radeon super resolution. you can use it ofc, but after a reboot your acceleration will be broken again.

if you super lazy - use DDU and install your latest driver with 'driver only' preset.

TL;DR - if broken hwac - restart your driver.

p.s.: second display might still flicker slightly, but at least this does not hang your system completely when you start any accelerated video

p.p.s.: i don't see no point of asking amd support to fix this, i have submitted multiple reports, posted on reddit => getting ignored all the time. seems like they have no way to reproduce this (as it seems so easy to reproduce for me, somehow...)

//edit 1: i guess we finally figured out what was the problem. for me its 'always off' selection for 'always wait for vertical sync'. if i keep it by default there is no problem after a reboot. also there should be 22.10.2 driver which should fix that problem. if you still keep getting problems - use minimal or driver-only setup. or just stay on older driver and wait for 22.10.2"

This was the post for the above solutions. https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-c ... d-p/606376

Other than this try different drivers like I did. This is exactly why updating for updates sake is a stupid idea. You need to find the best and most stable driver and IMO it's never the latest one with GFX cards. Once you find that stable one disable updates for it.

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-07 154326.png

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by hello people on Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:14 pm
garyanderson5 wrote
hello people wrote

I don't have the option to disable it either. I had a problem with screens going black now and again and still do but it's once in a blue moon. I disabled hardware acceleration in my browser and that fixed browsing. I can get the screen back just moving my mouse. I tried 3 or 4 drivers and had worse results everytime with constant black screens. I ended up using minimal install with Adrenalin so I could make sure, "Wait for vertical refresh->Off, unless application specifies" was set. I don't really have problems anymore but now and again I get a black screen on either or both monitors for a second or two then it's gone. Never had none of this nonsense with my RX570.

This may help.
"In AMD Adrenalin go to Settings->Graphics->Wait for vertical refresh->Off, unless application specifies (If you set it to "Always Off" this bug with hardware acceleration will happen.) After this reboot and it should be solved."

Or this option
"i have figured out that on the latest driver, if you get a horrible problems with acceleration - you should delete AMD PCI Express Downstream Switch Port (GPU will disappear), then update the device list (gpu will reappear again) - acceleration should work fine now. if you lazy to do that - you can get CRU and use the included restart64.exe. from now on - do not touch radeon super resolution. you can use it ofc, but after a reboot your acceleration will be broken again.

if you super lazy - use DDU and install your latest driver with 'driver only' preset.

TL;DR - if broken hwac - restart your driver.

p.s.: second display might still flicker slightly, but at least this does not hang your system completely when you start any accelerated video

p.p.s.: i don't see no point of asking amd support to fix this, i have submitted multiple reports, posted on reddit => getting ignored all the time. seems like they have no way to reproduce this (as it seems so easy to reproduce for me, somehow...)

//edit 1: i guess we finally figured out what was the problem. for me its 'always off' selection for 'always wait for vertical sync'. if i keep it by default there is no problem after a reboot. also there should be 22.10.2 driver which should fix that problem. if you still keep getting problems - use minimal or driver-only setup. or just stay on older driver and wait for 22.10.2"

This was the post for the above solutions. https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-c ... d-p/606376

Other than this try different drivers like I did. This is exactly why updating for updates sake is a stupid idea. You need to find the best and most stable driver and IMO it's never the latest one with GFX cards. Once you find that stable one disable updates for it.

I have an option in Graphics settings for Windows to "When possible, get a higher frame rate and reduce screen tearing in games that don't support variable refresh rate by default." It's enabled.

Not sure if this is relevant though.

Not sure where AMD Adrenalin is or if I even have it. I have an AMD gfx thing installed. There's a setting called "Radeon Chill" which is enabled. This setting: Settings->Graphics->Wait for vertical refresh->Off, unless application specifies is enabled. It is not set to Always off.

I can do sessions in Studio One and will not encounter any issues. It's infrequent. So, I dunno. I don't want to mess with things too much at this point.

by garyanderson5 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:49 am
If you installed Adrenalin your GFX card APP all you do is right click on the desktop and you will see it listed. That's the easiest way to access it. I have chill disabled. If you can see chill under the Graphics tab your using Adrenalin. Wait for Vetical Refresh the fix mentioned is four options down on the same page. Just make sure it's set to Off, unless application specifies. Not always off. Then reboot.

Most people install driver only for DAW work or minimal install if you want some Adrenalin support. I normally do driver only but as I mentioned I had nothing but trouble with black screens every few mins when i built my new system. Took me about a week to sort it trying drivers, it was a nightmare untill i used minimal install and did the Adrenalin tweek that's been mentioned. Now I get the odd black screen for a second or so on my second screen once a week. It was every 2-3mins at first and I was pulling my hair out trying to sort it.

Either way it still never sorted blank GUI's for plugins on my second screen on reloaded projects. It's been like this for years no matter what card or driver I use. Only with S1 do I get problems using duel screens. I have tried new cables and all sorts but it's still loading blank GUI's on the very first opened plugin till you close it and reopen again.

Install options below for AMD GFX Cards

Full Install - Provides all AMD Software features and controls for gaming, recording, streaming, and tweaking your performance on your graphics hardware.

Minimal Install - Provides only the basic controls for AMD Software features and does not include advanced features such as performance tweaking or recording and capturing content.
( I used this installation option)

Driver Only - Provides no user interface for AMD Software features.
( This is the most used for pure DAW work)

by hello people on Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:19 am
Seems there might be a possible link to gfx issues when I minimize or navigate away from SO to the internet and play chess at chess dot com. I dunno. Maybe the gfx issue gets confused when you go on the internet and do something else. Sometimes I like a break from mixing or recording my trash and I go and play chess for 15 minutes. Last time I did that and came back to SO there were gfx issues.

by hello people on Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:33 pm
Still having these grey out issues with the "Studio One graphics hardware acceleration issue detected" reports in SO.

It's been suggested that disabling MPO in Windows may sort this out. See links:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-so ... d-p/560789

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/y ... fixed_all/

https://computersluggish.com/guides/how ... n-windows/

Guy in 2nd link reporting same issues as me in Cubase. Common denominator looks like AMD Radeon 6xxx gfx cards. I haven't tried the fix yet but will report in once I give it a go.

EDIT: So it looks like the issue isn't Radeon 6xxx cards as such but Radeon cards in general...7xxx, 6xxx etc. I've added the registry tweak and will see how it goes. The issue for me hasn't been anywhere close to crippling or majorly problematic. It occurred I think the very first time I opened Studio One on this new PC build...but no symptoms showed...only the error message which I closed and carried on. Then a day or two later much of the SO screen area went grey and I got the message again. Restart SO and fine. A week or so later same story. Then later it happened twice in a row in quick succession after initially closing SO and reopening. That's when I started looking more carefully for a fix. And I came across this disabling MPO thing. And that's where I'm at now. Will report back at a later date. Thanks

by hello people on Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:49 am
No luck on that I'm afraid. The error message came up again and SO was basically 80% greyed out. So, I dunno. It seems to happen when I navigate away from SO and start browsing the internet etc. At this point it's a very infrequent problem. So, err...I dunno. Maybe AMD Radeon will release some driver update at some point and it'll all go away.

by hello people on Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:51 am
Keeps happening. Should I submit a ticket? I'm guessing it is some kind of clash with Studio One and my GFX card, which is a dedicated GFX card. No inbuilt GFX on the CPU. Trying to attach an image showing the issue.

Attachments
GFX Accelaration SNAFU.jpg

by Vocalpoint on Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:16 am
hello people wroteKeeps happening. Should I submit a ticket? I'm guessing it is some kind of clash with Studio One and my GFX card, which is a dedicated GFX card. No inbuilt GFX on the CPU. Trying to attach an image showing the issue.

Probably time to get a GFX card that is actually supported.

Not exactly sure what a support ticket would do here.

Studio One requires specific hardware and software to function correctly - and as the user - it is on us to ensure we supply these requirements.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.1.99821 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.250) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by Lokeyfly on Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:55 am
hello people wroteSeems there might be a possible link to gfx issues when I minimize or navigate away from SO to the internet and play chess at chess dot com. I dunno. Maybe the gfx issue gets confused when you go on the internet and do something else. Sometimes I like a break from mixing or recording my trash and I go and play chess for 15 minutes. Last time I did that and came back to SO there were gfx issues.

Hi hello people, VP makes a logical point to really observe compatible or updated devices. In your case, the GFX card itself. Not that yours isn't up to snuff. I don't know. Only on a priority factor, it could be worth considering swapping out for new. Bro, there's even some very accessible laptops, or a secondary system to play chess and other programs/apps with instead of sharing or switching settings for compatability. At a risk of sounding a bit hard-core, (but truthful) I'd suggest keeping your Studio One computer free of potential gremlin disasters. Not internet-free, that would be silly. One needs to maintain their PC and drivers, logically. Only I hear your points about switching over to a chess site, and it seems to open the flood gates. Not that site specifically, but on the home computer general habit front. It's a recipe for problems.

If this doesn't make sense to you, I respect your position, needs, budget, etc.
If I didn't care, I wouldn't mention it. Consider this has been happening to you for months now.

S1-6.6, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by hello people on Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:21 pm
Well, sure. Studio One can't account for every GFX card under the sun. But it's a major retail brand. I mean of all the GFX cards in all the gin joints in all the world, Studio One hates this one? But likes countless other ones? Seems weird. Furthermore, Mac seems to have measures on the Presonus site for disabling acceleration but there's no advice or adjustment menu options for Windows.

I did mention I thought I had issues when navigating away from Studio One to chess sites or the internet in general. This theory has no legs at all I've found out. The glitches and issues manifest regardless and seemingly at random.

I mean if I have to go and buy a new GFX card I will. After I read the comprehensive Studio One guide listing all known compatible GFX cards.

by Vocalpoint on Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:41 pm
hello people wroteWell, sure. Studio One can't account for every GFX card under the sun. But it's a major retail brand. I mean of all the GFX cards in all the gin joints in all the world, Studio One hates this one?

Let's move onto some other questions:

What displays are you using?
What resolution are they at?
What version of Studio One are you using - is it v5 or v6?

And as far as "Studio One" hating your specific card - I do not think it works like that.

Studio One interacts with what the OS gives it. Now - that said - I am sure there are specific things that Win 11 must justify (on it's own) in terms of GFX drivers and so on to make your display actually work - but I do not think that Studio One has any idea what card you have nor can it make any decisions on whether it likes it or not.

It either works or it doesn't and that is an OS/Driver (and possibly display) thing that must be settled first.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.1.99821 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.250) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by hello people on Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:36 am
Vocalpoint wrote
hello people wroteWell, sure. Studio One can't account for every GFX card under the sun. But it's a major retail brand. I mean of all the GFX cards in all the gin joints in all the world, Studio One hates this one?

Let's move onto some other questions:

What displays are you using?
What resolution are they at?
What version of Studio One are you using - is it v5 or v6?

And as far as "Studio One" hating your specific card - I do not think it works like that.

Studio One interacts with what the OS gives it. Now - that said - I am sure there are specific things that Win 11 must justify (on it's own) in terms of GFX drivers and so on to make your display actually work - but I do not think that Studio One has any idea what card you have nor can it make any decisions on whether it likes it or not.

It either works or it doesn't and that is an OS/Driver (and possibly display) thing that must be settled first.

VP

Displays? A single computer monitor connected to the GFX card. My CPU is a non-GFX CPU. No onboard GFX. So it's a dedicated GFX card that plugs into the mobo. Resolution...I'm not at my home studio right now but I'd guess 1920x1080. I'm on a fully updated Studio One 5.

Well obviously Studio One 'hating' my GFX card is a poetic way to put it. There are zero issues, problems, glitches with any other piece of software, program, situation. Using Studio One is the only scenario on my computer in all its uses where the graphics glitch as shown in the pic I posted the other day occurs. This happens to no other program, in no other situation ever.

Apparently there is some concept of compatibility as indicated by an earlier poster. Studio One can't have and will never have 'ideas' but it was suggested that some GFX cards are more compatible than others...to put it poetically.

Apparently there's an option to disable hardware (or GFX...I can't remember which) acceleration in the menu tree for Mac Studio One...however, I've looked and there's no such option for Windows computers.

Anyway, yes, you mention drivers and OS and all that. Probably yeah. There's also some launch settings I can try to tweak in the right click Studio One icon fields. I dunno. My GFX card causes me no issues...except for in Studio One. I've scoured the internet for fixes and solutions. But it's difficult to even find a question or set of symptoms like mine out there. For all intents and purposes...nobody is, has had or is having this issue. Only me.

by Vocalpoint on Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:55 am
hello people wrote Apparently there is some concept of compatibility as indicated by an earlier poster. Studio One can't have and will never have 'ideas' but it was suggested that some GFX cards are more compatible than others...to put it poetically

One thing I can tell you is that S1 is VERY specific when it comes to it's messaging.

If it actually posts a message that specifically references a "hardware acceleration" issue detected - you can bet it's not for nothing. And since we already know that hardware acceleration cannot be adjusted from within the program itself - there has to be something else going on here.

I still think this is a driver setting somewhere that needs a small tweak OR the possibility that you are running a modern card against a version of Studio One that is too old here in mid 2024.

Do remember that v5 of S1 is now retired and was released in July 2020. There was no Windows 11 in July of 2020 and certainly not this specific ASUS Radeon GFX card either.

While it seems like it "should" work - there was no way to test your May 2023 ASUS Radeon GFX card on this specific version of S1 and this specific version of Windows - four years ago. Nor would Presonus be testing that combo against v5 back in May 2023 either (when your GFX card came out).

This could just be an unfortunate side effect of a untested match.

Would be curious to know if the same thing occurs on v6 - but that's a upgrade scenario on your part.

VP

by hello people on Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 am
Vocalpoint wrote
hello people wrote Apparently there is some concept of compatibility as indicated by an earlier poster. Studio One can't have and will never have 'ideas' but it was suggested that some GFX cards are more compatible than others...to put it poetically

One thing I can tell you is that S1 is VERY specific when it comes to it's messaging.

If it actually posts a message that specifically references a "hardware acceleration" issue detected - you can bet it's not for nothing. And since we already know that hardware acceleration cannot be adjusted from within the program itself - there has to be something else going on here.

I still think this is a driver setting somewhere that needs a small tweak OR the possibility that you are running a modern card against a version of Studio One that is too old here in mid 2024.

Do remember that v5 of S1 is now retired and was released in July 2020. There was no Windows 11 in July of 2020 and certainly not this specific ASUS Radeon GFX card either.

While it seems like it "should" work - there was no way to test your May 2023 ASUS Radeon GFX card on this specific version of S1 and this specific version of Windows - four years ago. Nor would Presonus be testing that combo against v5 back in May 2023 either (when your GFX card came out).

This could just be an unfortunate side effect of a untested match.

Would be curious to know if the same thing occurs on v6 - but that's a upgrade scenario on your part.

VP

Yeah, agree with all of that. I haven't been able to quickly get a screen shot of the error message. It says 'graphics hardware acceleration issue detected' and also includes a bunch of numbers or a number sequence probably referring to something specific. I'll get a screenshot one day.

Not sure when the very last update for SO5 was but SO6 came out Sept 2022 I think. So the latest SO5 is probably before that. So that's maybe a year and a half ago.

Like you said...driver tweak...something in settings somewhere. There's right click launch options for SO I can try etc. I might end up posting in one of the technical computer forums somewhere. The Windows 11 forums or GFX card forums. People on those kinds of forums not only know a lot but some of those dudes just don't give up until they find the answer. It's like their hobby or something.

by hello people on Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:12 pm
Just downloaded Studio one 6 demo version to see if it liked my GFX card or if the issue with "studio one graphics hardware acceleration issue detected" still occurs...

Haha...I got the error message before the plugin scan had even finished. That's a first!

So, I would imagine the odd one out here is the GFX card in some way. The exact issue could be anything though I suppose. I was even reading someone saying there were voltage issues or something with this card and it caused errors very much like what I'm getting.

The easiest solution might just be to buy a new GFX card...which raises the question...I do plan on getting on the next version of SO...or even maybe v6 if there's a good discount one day soon. So maybe I stay on v5 and put up with the GFX acceleration issues for a while more. But ah, anyone know what kind of card I should get?

I might add, I've found a basic setting in Windows Settings that lets you adjust graphic performance for particular applications. I've been able to add Studio One to the list and set Studio One to run in 'high performance' mode when it comes to graphics. Before it was eco or balanced or something. Maybe it'll help. EDIT: This didn't help. Took a couple of hours but the glitch got around to coming back in the end. Oh well.

38 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2