6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Would any of you like to recommend a good way to create a nice natural sounding vocal? I know that it depends on the vocal itself and your personal preference. So, this may be hard to answer. But, I'd still like to hear what those of you with a lot of experience are doing.

Thus far, I have used the "Male Vocal" Insert and the "Room Reverb" Send (set at "Large Hall'). That seemed like a nice generic starting point. However, there are 5 different male vocal presets. There are also several Reverb presets and I noted that Joe Gilder (PreSonus) uses "Rev PLATE-140". Then there are a million adjustments that can be made after you start with a preset.
by Vocalpoint on Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:36 am
stephenrachlin wroteWould any of you like to recommend a good way to create a nice natural sounding vocal? I know that it depends on the vocal itself and your personal preference. So, this may be hard to answer. But, I'd still like to hear what those of you with a lot of experience are doing.

As a voiceover artist - this is really on one of things I do all the time:)

My recipe:

1. Great mike (large condenser always first choice) - warmed up and ready to go.
2. Great pre-amp (or a channel on the audio interface) - sent clean to S1
3. An initial compressor (your choice) on the S1 mic insert (while recording) to tame the vocal peaks on the way in (I use the Waves Scheps Omni Channel on everything here)
4. Once a vocal is comped, edited and complete in S1 - then (and only then) will I begin post processing as needed (ranging from more comp to delays, verbs etc) but I always work with a super dry vocal to start.

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by Tacman7 on Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:39 am
stephenrachlin wroteWould any of you like to recommend a good way to create a nice natural sounding vocal?

Finding the right mic for your voice might take some time, I bought and used different mics over the years, really loved Sputnik for a long time. Same issue with preamps, buy one try it for 6 months or whatever then sell it and get a different one until you find what you're looking for.

I actually stopped using my quality preamp and started using a UAD interface with a mac mini which uses a software classic preamp and I'm liking it. So the preamp gets printed on the recording.

I was going to say that getting the right sound is more than finding the right preset, but then I just rebuffed my own point. Getting ahold of a good mic is a good starting place.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
I can second what was already mentioned above regarding only a compressor when recording.

After that I usually start with EQ, De-Esser, reverb, saturation, and parallel compression to beef things up.

Once that is done, there is usually still some volume automation/clip gain that will happen to fine tune things. I used Waves VocalRider in the past, but honestly, it gives me mixed feelings. Even with processing I often tend to manually fine tune S's, F's, P's - plosives in general to get a more natural sound. Zooming in, and pulling down a "p" that stands out can make a big difference, just don't over do it or it will sound like a speech disorder :)

Also, you need to pay attention to how the vocal itself sits in the mix with other instruments. You want to make the appropriate room for it to sit well. I know that some go to lengths to do this (for example, side chaining the vocal to a multiband compressor on an instrument bus) - and although that can help, I tend to stick to a more classic approach of compression and EQing myself.

There is really no rule book.. try different things, see what works for you. And when you change your vocalist, you have to change it up again anyway :| :D

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by tpittman on Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:32 am
Tacman7 wrote
stephenrachlin wroteWould any of you like to recommend a good way to create a nice natural sounding vocal?

Finding the right mic for your voice might take some time, I bought and used different mics over the years, really loved Sputnik for a long time. Same issue with preamps, buy one try it for 6 months or whatever then sell it and get a different one until you find what you're looking for.

I actually stopped using my quality preamp and started using a UAD interface with a mac mini which uses a software classic preamp and I'm liking it. So the preamp gets printed on the recording.

I was going to say that getting the right sound is more than finding the right preset, but then I just rebuffed my own point. Getting ahold of a good mic is a good starting place.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Tacman, are you using the Modeling Mic system UAD as? Sounds like it. Did you have to purchase a special mic for this? If any Mic will do that would be killer as i have UAD system cards in my computer (actually in an Xmac mini server) Please advice what is working. This very well could be an great option for folks that have UAD already :mrgreen: :+1

Studio One Pro 6.5.2 Mac mini Monterey OS Midas 32 Board / Interface
by Tacman7 on Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:38 pm
No, I didn't know they had a modeling mic. I see Antelope Audio puts modeling mics with their interfaces, been wanting to try that whole system, one of these days...

UAD models hardware and whatever you plug in it will sound pretty close to using the hardware. I guess a modeling mic would be neutral and not add anything to the sound of the hardware.

I don't know how much I buy into some of that, but willing to try. I use a WA-251 that I've had for a few years, with the UA-610 plugin that works well for my voice.

If you find a plugin you want to print to the recording when you record it just put it in the input section of the console in S1.

Guess you would have the UAD console that has a slot for that maybe...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB

6 posts
Page 1 of 1