17 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey friends, just a reminder, this is a community support forum. We are here to HELP each other, not dismiss them, be rude to them, or nitpick the way that they may type or ask their questions, and especially in any way make them feel like they are asking stupid questions. I hate to say this, but in the music community, this forum has a reputation for being rude. I'm not just talking the online music community. I've actually heard people at music shops suggest that the software is great, just avoid their forum due to how rude and unhelpful it is.

I've run into this myself several times. The thing is, I've also received a lot of GREAT help from this forum. There are seriously some great people here that want nothing more than to share their knowledge and help others, and if that's you, then awesome on you!

We need to think twice about the way we type. Text has no tone, so it tends to be interpreted at face value, which, unless you are intentionally positive and encouraging in the words you choose, will likely be taken negatively. Sarcasm does not often work in text, even if you tag it with /sarcasm.

It doesn't help much that Presonus chose to put the RTFM smilies on their forum either, but that's another topic for another day. lol.

If you feel like you to rebut this, you are probably one of the ones that need some encouragement to be a little nicer. Just sayin'.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by Lokeyfly on Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:01 am
Just saw this. Thought it should at least tell more of the story.

You being the very nice person that you are gregghart, it's always appreciated adding a positive note to the community, and that serves a very proactive approach.

Frankly, and this is from my perspective, the community is pretty amazing, helpful, courteous, and informative. There are also community guidelines already listed and while not always observed from newcomers coming in and using the forum, it's still been an effective (and respectful) guideline. Where I have seen from really one recent user is a constant barrage of being quite a bit short on the issue at hand, and quite a bit long in the tooth complaining how Studio One developers, and such need to "fix" all its multiple problems. Terms like "what the hell...." (several times) and all capital text to illustrate their frustration does in fact go against these forum guidelines. Yet, the users who take time out of their busy schedule 📅 have provided multiple answers, added links, always have been polite, and professional in their responses. They rarely even get a response back. Not just from this one bloke, but from many inquiries. Yet, these helpful users never question, or even expect anything back. Nothing. They're genuinely here to help.
So again thank you for assisting with keeping the flag waving, but I thought it appropriate to add that the many users here already get it. It's what they already do. Their amazing!

Sometimes a little rudeness from this one bad apple, might cause a few informative users to let it be known that that person could avoid constantly comparing another DAW that they deem, works so well, and that their "time is limited as a professional" doesn't help solve the actual issue. Good information (and adding specs) does.

Thought you might see that full picture, because frankly the water temperature is just fine, and has been.
Cheers my friend.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by garyshepherd on Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:32 am
I have been surprised with some of the reactions. Agree - we are all here to help even if the questions seem very basic.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by MisterE on Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:10 pm
I wonder if being unfailingly nice to certain types of posts and posters is truly helpful to the forum and the poster. For example:

1) The guy (99% of the time) who complains about something that is happening to them as if it's happening to everyone else ... even though it clearly isn't. That's certainly suggestive that a large ego who believes the world revolves around him is involved ... so is just playing along like there isn't a large ego involved really helpful without pointing out the ridiculousness of not noticing there are few if any other posts complaining about the supposed flaw in the software?

2) The guy who wants to know "What's the best EQ (for example)?" That question assumes it's being asked by someone who is a complete master of frequencies settings for individual instruments and how those frequencies interact with other instruments or voices — who could actually benefit from the .001% improvement of one company's offering vs another. Someone who has actually mastered those things already knows there is no "best EQ," that there are dozens and dozens of EQs that can get the job done as long as the engineer actually knows frequencies inside and out. They also have mixing gurus they trust to ask which EQs might be among the best. So that question is a giveaway it's being asked by someone who is unrealistic to begin with. Is blurting out the name of an EQ really that helpful? Is giving a reality check really unhelpful? No, there is no need to be rude about it or jump all over the guy, but maybe calling it out would actually benefit that person by suggesting expanding their knowledge of EQ frequencies might be more helpful than purchasing an EQ they won't know how to get the best out of.

3) The guy who posts all the time in numerous threads. The more someone posts, they more likely they are to elicit strong reactions. That just comes with the territory. It's also true that maybe that person could be more judicious with their posts. It's a very contentious time in human history. What one person thinks is innocent another finds inflammatory. Post less and make your posts count if you want to lower your chances of getting into a cage match.

The world is basically comprised of two types of people, ones who can get out of their own heads ... and ones who can't. When it's obvious someone can't get out of their own head, I think it's okay to point that out politely without going overboard on the sermonizing.

In conclusion, there are basic questions that don't come from a place of ego— like "how do I get the cursor to return to start?" — from newbies which deserve kid gloves treatment, but there are some seemingly basic questions which do come from a place of ego — "what's the best mic," which assume the singer is so great that subtle differences really matter — that don't need to be slammed, but maybe are less deserving of kid glove treatment.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by johnnygeib2 on Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:21 am
Since recently returned as an admin here, it is nice to see some positive reactions to what the mission of the forum is meant for. I look forward to getting back to helping out here and supporting all the fantastic users of this forum. Very happy to be back :+1

by Lokeyfly on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:52 pm
themuzic wroteSince recently returned as an admin here, it is nice to see some positive reactions to what the mission of the forum is meant for. I look forward to getting back to helping out here and supporting all the fantastic users of this forum. Very happy to be back :+1

Good to see you back Johnny. Hope all is well your way! BTW, I sent a couple of users your way by giving them your name and the HST link. They were newbies, and genuinely looking for help on a number of fronts. One even asked for a tutor which I know you also do. Knowing how you have a very laid back and friendly demeanor (did I just say that) :) I knew if they needed tutoring or advice, they'd get it.
Cheers, and welcome back!
James

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by ianaeillo on Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:02 pm
I was a jerk to that guy on the monitor / 4k question and I’m sorry.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by PreAl on Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:19 am
You should have heard what I said to.the 8K monitor guy.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by johnnygeib2 on Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:30 pm
Lokeyfly wrote
themuzic wroteSince recently returned as an admin here, it is nice to see some positive reactions to what the mission of the forum is meant for. I look forward to getting back to helping out here and supporting all the fantastic users of this forum. Very happy to be back :+1

Good to see you back Johnny. Hope all is well your way! BTW, I sent a couple of users your way by giving them your name and the HST link. They were newbies, and genuinely looking for help on a number of fronts. One even asked for a tutor which I know you also do. Knowing how you have a very laid back and friendly demeanor (did I just say that) :) I knew if they needed tutoring or advice, they'd get it.
Cheers, and welcome back!
James

Very much appreciated!!

by garybowling on Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:38 am
As a general rule, if I read a question that seems unreasonable (what's the best EQ) or one that's confrontational or even just one I'm not interested in, I just try to move on. Don't answer, don't engage, just move on.

I have posted a few snarky responses just poking fun. We've probably reached the time in the world where that's not acceptable, so I won't do that again.

From now on, strictly business, ask a question or answer a question. No funny business...

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by Lokeyfly on Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:29 am
garybowling wroteAs a general rule, if I read a question that seems unreasonable (what's the best EQ) or one that's confrontational or even just one I'm not interested in, I just try to move on. Don't answer, don't engage, just move on.

Nice observation! One I generally try to adhere to as well. Usually, one knows from the first few lines where the person inquiring is coming from. That's usually a tell all.

I have posted a few snarky responses just poking fun. We've probably reached the time in the world where that's not acceptable, so I won't do that again.

From now on, strictly business, ask a question or answer a question. No funny business...

I hope not. A little levity, is a very real human side. No one here (at least any longer) is always trying to be cutesy, or minimize issues. We all have "a life" and needn't use the forum as our social gathering place. It's a great balance here of professional or best intended answers. As I stated earlier, the users in this forum already get it, do it, and if need be, chuckle about it. That's why I thought some initial post clarifying was in order. It wasn't from a moderator. It was an opinion, from a nice guy trying to keep keep good energy going. It's already in place.

The world outside is the world outside. One cant let it dictate their own logic and instinctive manners. Part of at least my helping on occasion wannabe or ambitious song writers, or production people is not giving a hoot what they do elsewhere, or what beer they drink. Though I'll always compliment a good German, Czech, or fine Brithish draft on tap! 🍺
:)

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by PreAl on Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:42 am
On a certain facebook group (about a TV show I'm actually involved in, although nobody knew it) people were talking about Apples new VR headset, some seemed to be super excited about it

I commented "$3500, not being released till next year, 2 hours battery life, no real killer applications, big whoop".

The group admin decided to tell me off for being aggressive (the actual word they used was "scornful", which I regard as far more aggressive!), I asked exactly what was offensive and it was the phrase "big whoop". Apparently I was putting the group in jeopardy, in it being a "safe space" for people to comment.

Holy cow, I'm sorry.... I understand the need for people to be nice to each other, but when I'm talking about technology and a product... come on! And "big whoop" is now being viewed an offensive term. I just cannot fathom...

I pretty much immediately left that group after that, think it was my first and last post. Safe space for people to express their views - my bottom! Guess one must only think nice thoughts all the time, in case Bart Simpson is listening in within my brain.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Lokeyfly on Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:06 pm
$3500, not being released till next year, 2 hours battery life, no real killer applications? What's not to like?
Perfectly legitimate response. I'll have to remember that saying the next time someone expects me to affirm their perception of their reality. Or in this case, not even a reality. Incredible.
8-) 👍

Btw, they look like my $18 pair of ski goggles which work, and give exhilarating visuals and bang for the buck. Just not all year long.

VR headset

Ski goggles

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by johnnygeib2 on Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:43 pm
PreAl wroteOn a certain facebook group (about a TV show I'm actually involved in, although nobody knew it) people were talking about Apples new VR headset, some seemed to be super excited about it

I commented "$3500, not being released till next year, 2 hours battery life, no real killer applications, big whoop".

The group admin decided to tell me off for being aggressive (the actual word they used was "scornful", which I regard as far more aggressive!), I asked exactly what was offensive and it was the phrase "big whoop". Apparently I was putting the group in jeopardy, in it being a "safe space" for people to comment.

Holy cow, I'm sorry.... I understand the need for people to be nice to each other, but when I'm talking about technology and a product... come on! And "big whoop" is now being viewed an offensive term. I just cannot fathom...

I pretty much immediately left that group after that, think it was my first and last post. Safe space for people to express their views - my bottom! Guess one must only think nice thoughts all the time, in case Bart Simpson is listening in within my brain.

Sadly that's the way the world is now. In the Facebook groups, I run things are way more relaxed but when you live in a world so majorly divided, this is what happens. The Mods and admins here are very relaxed and since returning as an admin here, I can see people complain more about things that used to be acceptable and sadly we admins have to address it. It's silly sometimes.

by lynnseacord on Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:52 pm
I certainly appreciate the general demeanor of this group of people and it has really proved to be a necessary resource as “stuff” continues to grow in complexity. Thanks to all the regulars and now Johnny again.
by jih64 on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:33 pm
PreAl wroteYou should have heard what I said to.the 8K monitor guy.

They should have seen you in action on the old Cakewalk Forums Alex, it was something to behold, unfortunately resulting in a number of bans and thus name changes :mrgreen: though to your credit you made no attempt to hide your identity with those name changes. :thumbup:

PreAl wroteOn a certain facebook group (about a TV show I'm actually involved in, although nobody knew it) people were talking about Apples new VR headset, some seemed to be super excited about it

It's not necessarily 'what' you say Alex, but that you do have a certain 'knack', and part of that maybe your 'straight shooting' style, but it's more than that as other 'straight shooters' don't seem to draw the same reactions.

It's almost like some God (or the other fella***) given power you have been granted, existing on some higher (or lower***) supernatural, paranormal plane. :twisted:

:mrgreen: Or it could be that you just have a knack of rubbing people up the wrong way ;)

For every Arthur C Clarke quoter, there is a know-all who likes to quote Arthur C Clarke
- unknown
by PreAl on Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:18 am
I did write a fairly longish response but I realise I simply would open myself up for further personal attacks (sadly this comment probably will too, the smell of blood and all that).

I do realise that I'm basically not allowed to express an opinion here without being psychologically cross examined by a person with a grudge, who consequently wants to rake up the past. It pretty much happens every single time I express an opinion or a circumstance (or even a joke), and it's mostly the same people from the old forums, and it's always a call to arms, and an invite for others to jump on the bandwaggon... it's simply exhausting having the same albatross being hung around my neck year after year, and it will probably continue until these forums die or I die. From the stress and hate I get, probably the latter.

The response to my posts here is clearly demonstrated, two perfectly normal and interesting direct responses, and then several days later, a post with all guns a blazing

So I'll simply go back to restricting myself to a limited number of words in future (robot PC diagnostics). If it was the intention to kick me back in my place, you've certainly succeeded.

17 posts
Page 1 of 1