12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I recently moved my Studio One folder to my Dropbox folder because I decided to work from the cloud. I went to Locations and set User Data Location to the Studio One folder inside of Dropbox, but my song templates suddenly don't show up under the User section when I'm creating new songs. I should be able to see my song templates because they are all inside of the Studio One folder in Dropbox, where they need to be. Does anyone know how I can solve this or has someone experienced this same problem before? Everything seems fine besides that.

Specs: Mac mini (M1 2020) > Chip: Apple M1 > Memory: 16 GB > OS: Big Sur v11.2 - Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen - Yamaha HS7 Monitors > Studio One V5 > Maschine MK3 > Nektar Impact LX88+
by Tacman7 on Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:16 am
I don't know about working in the cloud. You record audio locally then store it there?

Templates are here:
C:\Users\TacMan7\Documents\Studio One\templates\v6\Songs

What 'folder' did you upload? You set the cloud as your data storage?

Curious about working from the cloud...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by astokesmusic on Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:19 pm
@TacMan7 I moved my main “Studio One” folder (that has Songs, templates, etc. inside of it) to my Dropbox folder (which is set to online-only, so I can save storage on my Mac internal drive). Then I set User Data Location (via Studio One > Preferences > Locations) to this “Studio One” folder. Have you had experience with trying this, working from the cloud? If it could cause issues I’ll revert back to working from an external drive, but I mostly wanted to try the cloud to alleviate using external drives when I am traveling and want to easily work on sessions.

Specs: Mac mini (M1 2020) > Chip: Apple M1 > Memory: 16 GB > OS: Big Sur v11.2 - Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen - Yamaha HS7 Monitors > Studio One V5 > Maschine MK3 > Nektar Impact LX88+
by wolfgerb on Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:10 pm
[quote="....to my Dropbox folder (which is set to online-only, so I can save storage on my Mac internal drive)....[/quote]

I´m using exactly this workflow to be up to date between my studio iMac and my Mac book air, and its´working great. But this sentence in the quote is raising my concern. How should Studio one read your templates and other files, if the Dropbox folder is set to online only? The files you want to read have to be on your machine, hence offline.
If you want to save space, you could for example only set your song folder to online and other folders, like template, macros.... to offline.

Mac Book Air M2 15", Mac OS 14.3; RME Digiface USB, MOTU 828es + 8pre; Studio One 6.5.2; Faderport v2; Atom SQ
by astokesmusic on Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:35 pm
@wolfgerb Ahh! That makes total sense!! I didn’t think putting everything online would be an issue, but I see now why it can be for templates and things that Studio One needs to look for offline. I appreciate it sir! I almost gave up on the Dropbox idea haha. It seems like a wonderful solution and especially for when you travel often. :D

by astokesmusic on Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:39 pm
@wolfgerb My next question would be, should I make the entire studio one folder and it’s contents inside available offline, then just go back in and choose “Songs” online-only ? I ask this because I’m not sure what else Studio One requires to read from offline.

by wolfgerb on Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:47 pm
Great!

Yes, I like that workflow very much. I have everything set to offline. All the macros I change on one machine get instantly updated to the other.
I chose a different Song folder outside of the Studio One Dropbox folder on my iMac Studio computer where I put all the songs of bigger projects.
Also all the Soundsets reside outside of the Studio One folder on an external drive (Samsung Sandisc), which I can grab and take on the road.

Mac Book Air M2 15", Mac OS 14.3; RME Digiface USB, MOTU 828es + 8pre; Studio One 6.5.2; Faderport v2; Atom SQ
by wolfgerb on Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:01 pm
That's nice about Dropbox that you can decide on a per file basis what you want to keep offline. So you could turn all Songs online and only switch those to offline that you are working on. Could be cumbersome though to constantly redownload songs. depends on how much data we are taking about and how fast your internet-connection is.
Also I would not rely on having all my songs in the cloud only. I think backups on external discs are a must.

by astokesmusic on Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:32 pm
@wolfgerb Cool, this is great!

So basically you run sample libraries (including Soundsets) through an external drive, which is the only external drive needed while working on projects from the cloud? This is exactly what I do. I have an external SSD with all my sample libraries (including Soundsets) and it is connected to my MacBook while I am producing or mixing songs, but all of my DAW project data now resides in the cloud, via Dropbox.

Since I moved my DAW project data from my original external drive to Dropbox, I now have that external drive to use for a backup or perhaps for something else?

Also, I have two extra external drives that are used for physical backups of everything I do in Dropbox.

by astokesmusic on Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:38 pm
@wolfgerb Also, I wanted to ask you… Say I have two computers (desktop at home and MacBook Pro) connected to my Dropbox. If I change the Studio One “Songs” folder to be online-only, I know that both computers will have online access to that folder and be updated according to which computer makes updates to that folder. That said… will it be the same with the rest of the folders/data inside of the Studio One folder which I now set to be available offline? I was wondering if files being available offline don’t automatically update for all computers depending on what one computer made an update to. That part just made me wonder and I thought I’d ask you about it.

by wolfgerb on Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:46 am
Offline Files automatically upload to the cloud when your computer 1 is online and sync/Download to Computer 2 as soon it‘s online. I would investigative Dropbox-Icons a little more, they show the status of files.

by wolfgerb on Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:14 am
Also be aware that the status of files can be different on your two computers.
You could set your songfiles to offline on your studio computer them being available all the time and online on your laptop.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1