5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have 5 completed songs in S1 and I want to save each as a template (IOW without the song data, just the tracks/loops/VSTs/effects).

I thought I would Save as Template for each, then delete all the midi and audio data so I would have just the track framework and console inserts and sends, then write another song using that framework.

But when I choose Save as Template, I get the box that has "Replace Existing?" at the left bottom. Does that mean it would delete my entire completed song and just leave me with the template? :?:

Studio One 5 Pro
Acer Aspire desktop
Windows 10 i3 9th Gen 8GB RAM
Eris 3.5 monitors
Casio CTK-6000 arranger keyboard
by wolfgerb on Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:34 am
"Replace existing" refers to updating existing templates.
Pressing "Replace existing" opens the folder, where all templates are stored. You can then select the template you want to replace.
I have a "Drum Recording" template. when I add additional processing during recording of some new drums, which I want to include in my template for further use, I go to "Save as Template" and "Replace existing" then select my old template, which then gets overwritten with the new settings.
Hope this makes sense?

kind regards
Wolfger

Mac Book Air M2 15", Mac OS 14.3; RME Digiface USB, MOTU 828es + 8pre; Studio One 6.5.2; Faderport v2; Atom SQ
by michaelherbert4 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:27 am
Thanks Wolfger, yes, what you say makes sense, but I am referring to a new template that I would be creating using the track and console framework of an already completed song. So in that case there would be no existing template, I would be creating a completely new one.

If I simply "Save As" the completed song, delete all the midi and audio on the timeline (IOW, the song itself), then "Save as Template," so what would remain is the track and console framework (IOW, a template), would that be the way to do it?

Or is there a better, more efficient way?

Studio One 5 Pro
Acer Aspire desktop
Windows 10 i3 9th Gen 8GB RAM
Eris 3.5 monitors
Casio CTK-6000 arranger keyboard
by SwitchBack on Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:29 am
Songs and templates are stored in different locations, so a saved song won't be overwritten when saving it as a template. But if it concerns you you can simply change the name of the template in the 'save as template' dialog box.
by wolfgerb on Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:45 am
michaelherbert4 wrote...
If I simply "Save As" the completed song, delete all the midi and audio on the timeline (IOW, the song itself), then "Save as Template," so what would remain is the track and console framework (IOW, a template), would that be the way to do it?

Or is there a better, more efficient way?

That's the way to do it. Don't forget to remove all files from the pool of the template. Otherwise all new songs created from the template would link and/or search those files.

Mac Book Air M2 15", Mac OS 14.3; RME Digiface USB, MOTU 828es + 8pre; Studio One 6.5.2; Faderport v2; Atom SQ

5 posts
Page 1 of 1