10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Im having a problem in studio one with low latency monitoring for instruments. Whenever it is enabled and playimg a Vi I'm getting a lot of distortion pops and clicks when monitoring

I understand the the dual buffer system that studio one uses for play back vs monotring but it literally make no sense

When low latency monitoring is enabled I literally cant find a good setting I tried every combonation of devise block size and drop out protection low and high nothing works

However, the weirdest thing is that when low latency monitoring is disabled I can get good results with devise block set to 128 or 64 and drop out protection at 512 but if I set the devise block size to 512 ( which is the same as drop out protection )or higher I get distortion which makes no sense because if low latency monitoring is disabled device block size should have no effect it should be processed by the dropout protection which is 512 it clearly does affect the audio even when disabled
Dropout protection and device block size seem to be interfering with each other

Has anybody experienced this?
It's super frustrating can anybody help ?

Computer specs

Window 11
I9 12900k
64 gig ram
Interface Behringer flow 8
Interface Presonus audio box itwo

Studio One 6 pro
Windows 11
I9 12900k
64 gig ram
Interface 1: Behringer flow 8
Interface 2: Presonus audio box itwo
by PreAl on Wed May 31, 2023 11:50 pm
Dropout protection with studio one should only be used as a last resort. The best setting is off (or the lowest setting).

Make sure your audio interface and firmware is on the latest.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Tacman7 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:32 am
Welcome to the Forum!

The manual discusses the low latency features of S1:
https://s1manual.presonus.com/#Setup_To ... Device.htm#Audio

It's more for people who are managing a massive amount of tracks and processing.
When you get there it's hard to work and the low latency monitoring can be a useful tool.
----
When monitoring an audio input or virtual instrument through the Native Low-Latency Monitoring system, any inserted FX on the corresponding Channel continue to function and can be heard in real time, provided that they add 3 ms or less of latency. Plug-ins that meet this latency requirement show a green power button in the Console (rather than blue or gray). Any inserted plug-ins that introduce more than 3 ms of latency are not audible in the monitoring path while a Channel is armed for monitoring or recording under Native Low-Latency Monitoring. They begin functioning again when recording/monitoring mode is disengaged.
----

So it disables things to keep your latency low while tracking.

You're better off finding what latency you can run without artifacts and managing your own processing. If you get too many tracks, render some of them and take a lot of processing offline. That's a good workflow for hobbyists but not for big producers etc.

It's disheartening to get a new computer and think of all the power you have and what you can do. Soon you realize you can do a lot more but then you learn to live within your new set of limitations. Like Clint said, "mans got to know his limitations"

Good to put your computer specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by yossiiadler on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:51 am
Thank you for responding

Although I do have a setting right now that works for me which is device block size 128 or 64 and processing is 512 with low latency monitoring for instruments Disabled it does make me feel like something is wrong because it just doesn't make sense
If low latency monitoring is Enabled it should be processed by the device block size and drop out protection should have no effect on playing a virtual instrument ( I'm using basic stock instruments with no FX )
If low latency monitoring is Disabled it should be processed by the drop out protection and device block size should have no effect

That is clearly not the case when low latency monitoring is DISABLED I can not set the device black size higher then then 256 or I get distortion
Which tells me that that device block is somehow effecting my vi audio but then if I lower drop out protection to low or mimum it is also effecting my audio
It seems like both of them are effecting virtual instrument even when low latency monitoring is Disabled

And just to add with low latency monitoring Enabled it's even worse, it's just a disaster there is literally no setting that will work

Studio One 6 pro
Windows 11
I9 12900k
64 gig ram
by Tacman7 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:45 am
Low latency takes a strong computer but the interface determines how low you can go.

This is what I run for the windows machine with an M2. Can't really run no dropout protection, just low. People report problems with high buffer rates, so going too high has problems just like going too low. But with the mac I run a buffer of 32, could go lower but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
audio setuo 2.JPG

I don't have low latency monitoring available so I only know what I read. I've tried dropout protection but had problems with that.

Latency has a direct effect on your processing, ask too much and the system can't do it and you get artifacts.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by yossiiadler on Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:57 am
The reason why you don't have low latency monitoring is because your audio device and drop out protection is set to 128 for both.
Low latency monitoring will only kick in if your drop out protection is higher then audio device buffer size

And your totally right I've also noticed that setting the buffer size to high will also introduce a lot of pops and clicks which makes no sense. I understand the latency with higher buffer size but why more pops and clicks? I'm giving my computer more time to process audio, it should cleaner.

Studio One 6 pro
Windows 11
I9 12900k
64 gig ram
by Lokeyfly on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:44 am
There are other potential issues we can't see on this side of the fence that might be running your processor efficiency down.

Though a few checks might aid in understanding things further.
For example, when you hear pops and clicks when monitoring, what does the CPU % bar show in Studio One? Is the % bar at times raising past 80%, and you then hear the pops?
If so, click on the bar and select the show all devises box. Then select the percentage column and sort effects by percentage (even though you stated you have little to none on). We might find there's more hidden in some way. It happens.

Are you seeing any high percentage instruments or effects? If so, snooze them. Or better still, for now remove or disable them.

Are you still getting the pops or seeing some advantage?

I'm not familiar with the Audiobox 2i but it's also in all fairness an $80 interface. I'm not dissing the unit, but my point is many are simply not juggling 128 or 64 sample buffers. I.e. I can run my audio interface at 8 samples and forget to raise it after many hours of recording, with 30 to 40 stereo tracks (both instrument, and audio). Point being, block size and dropout protection may not be the whole cause here.
Anyway, please very the above questions.

Also check for multi instruments, and many notes that could be littered with many, many voices (overlaid). Just pointing this out. Ten notes depressed at one time with even a mere four oscillators, and two LFO's is 60 oscillators one one instrument on one track. A multi preset can carry more. Just saying. It can certainly be a resource hog. Especially with an arpegiator and long ADSR times. Yikes!

One last check.
What does a whole new song exhibit? Better?/worse?
Thx. Hope you find and solve the issue.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by PreAl on Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:15 am
.... and checkout latencymon.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by yossiiadler on Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:03 pm
@Lokeyfly thank you for responding

To answer your question
Cpu would be jumping up and down from 10 to 100
I will check the percentages to see if something is hiding

Also I'm only using the audio box 2i to rule out that the problem is not with my flow 8 interface

A whole new song exhibits the same results

And also I did check latencymon and I'm getting great results

Studio One 6 pro
Windows 11
I9 12900k
64 gig ram
by Lokeyfly on Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:12 pm
yossiiadler wrote@Lokeyfly thank you for responding

To answer your question
Cpu would be jumping up and down from 10 to 100
I will check the percentages to see if something is hiding

Also I'm only using the audio box 2i to rule out that the problem is not with my flow 8 interface

A whole new song exhibits the same results

And also I did check latencymon and I'm getting great results

Ok. Wow, that's a problem. Usually CPU spikes will occur when the cpu meter is near pinned. I take it you've ran task manager, and scanned any suspicious malware. Running latencymon was a good suggestion, here.

I'd suspect a new song would show improvement. Sounds like getting custoner support is involved at this point. They'll be able to see more potential issues. You're asking the right questions, but I'd hate to delay any progress going forward.
Let us know the outcome. Thx, yossiiadler

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

10 posts
Page 1 of 1