6 posts
Page 1 of 1
The Melodyne integration in S1 is wonderful, adding a couple of very useful tools to the box. One is 'Copy Song Tempo to File' which prints the song's tempo information (fixed or map) from the tempo track to the audio event without the need for bouncing.

This made me wonder: Why can't S1 do this natively, without the help of Melodyne and without the need for bouncing? For me that would be a big time- and space-saver.

Bouncing creates a new wav file, which seems wasteful since Melodyne can add tempo data without the need for a new file. But with Melodyne you can do only one event at a time (Edit with Melodyne - Copy Song Tempo to File - Remove Melodyne - next event) where it would be so much faster if you could do a range of events at once.

So, unless I'm missing something, would this be a welcome addition to S1?
by SwitchBack on Tue May 30, 2023 12:15 pm
Apparently not. Y'all swimmin' in time and space?
by Vocalpoint on Tue May 30, 2023 1:29 pm
SwitchBack wroteSo, unless I'm missing something, would this be a welcome addition to S1?

I would first need to understand exactly what Melodyne thinks it's "writing" in terms of tempo and exactly "where" it's writing it to. If it's dropping that tempo data into a S1 specific "audio event" - that is not a real file - even tho it appears that way on screen. It's an internal container that I would expect to have all sorts of cool S1 specific capability/functionality to store information that a normal "real" audio file could not.

If this function is actually writing tempo to a WAV file - by design WAV has VERY limited capability to store anything meaningful in the header. It is unlikely that MD is just dropping some random tempo text string in there

Now I believe S1 uses Broadcast WAV with more capability so maybe Studio One is writing tempo info there?

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by SwitchBack on Tue May 30, 2023 3:08 pm
Good remarks and good questions for sure, especially if portability to other systems is required. It must be included in the files somehow as it moves between songs, yet it may be some proprietary header format. Hmmm.

For the moment all I'm interested in is a fast, compact and lossless way to make multi-track files follow the S1 grid (or have the grid follow the files) for editing purposes. In case of a handful of tracks the Melodyne route is fine but with higher track counts it's a drag.
by Vocalpoint on Tue May 30, 2023 3:21 pm
SwitchBack wrote For the moment all I'm interested in is a fast, compact and lossless way to make multi-track files follow the S1 grid (or have the grid follow the files) for editing purposes.

This is what I do all the time - especially for my stash of old Tascam PortaStudio multitrack cassette transfers dating back to 1985.

I usually pick the drum track and let Melodyne determine the exact tempo of that file. Then I take what Melodyne tells me and make that the tempo of the song in S1. I then cut the drum track and slip edit the first downbeat start exactly at Bar 2. Turn on the metronone, start playback and if all is well - my old 1985 TR707 drum track is now locked to the click.

Then just do the same to the remaining Portastudio tracks from that session - slip edit them to start in relation to bar 2 and off we go.

Works perfectly in time - every time - regardless of age, old warbly cassette timing or track count.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by SwitchBack on Tue May 30, 2023 5:39 pm
Yup, I understand that process. And recording into S1 can automatically stamp the tempo data on the files. The total track count is limited too.

In my situation I might receive a 20+ track session with multiple takes as WAVs without tempo data. Tempo mapping from 1 or 2 of those tracks in S1 is a routine job. But then I want that tempo data printed to all files so that I can move parts around in the arrangement even if the tempo is all over the place. Bouncing will do that in one go but creates new files. The Melodyne route avoids new files but is time-consuming.

So ideally I'd like to select all tracks in the song and click 'Copy Song Tempo to Files', before cutting them up and dragging the pieces around for comping and whatnot. And yes, bouncing can do that but seems total overkill for 'just' updating the file headers with tempo data, as Melodyne sort of proves can be done :)

6 posts
Page 1 of 1