5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have another thread open about unwanted fades when using clip gain. Apparently that has been fixed with the most recent update. That being said, I'm still experiencing random timing issues. Yesterday I was creating a tempo map and when checking it against the metronome, the audio was shifted forward in time and even the click didn't strike right on the bar line, so it was just all over the place. I had to move the audio with track delay using a track delay that did not at all correspond to the overall plugin delay time. I'm not using any obscure plugins or running 500 track sessions. It's just your average mix session with maybe a 100 tracks.

I also get random pops and clicks that may or may not repeat when played back again, and worst of all, random crashes, sometimes during startup. I have a fairly powerful machine, optimized for audio and never had any major issues before v5.5 or so. Now it's almost unusable. I'm not sure anymore if I can trust it with so many random glitches. This doesn't happen in Pro Tools, so I think I'll have to bite the bullet and go back to PT. I'm a huge fan of the S1 workflow, macros, drag/drop, etc, but I have no other choice :thumbdown:

- Studio One v6.1.2
- Steinberg UR242
- Windows 11 x64
- i7 13700K
- 32 GB RAM
by PreAl on Sat May 27, 2023 6:03 pm
I know it doesn't help but studio one 6.1.2 works reliably for me. Running OK on Pro Tools does not rule out a problem with your system.

Check out this post, all of these points could solve your issue:
viewtopic.php?p=303061#p303061

You got any hardware synths with standard midi cables? Make sure MIDI clock is only going down once.

Without more details it's hard to troubleshoot further.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by sgietz on Sun May 28, 2023 10:22 am
Thanks for the reply :)

All those tweaks don't apply or they're already set. I don't have anything else hooked up aside from my Faderport. I read elsewhere that certain plugins should be run in zero latency mode, like the Fabfilter ProQ. That's just not acceptable. I rarely use linear phase mode, but it's needed on occasion (e.g. parallel processing).

I'll keep using it for production, but will move mixing duties over to PT. I do sometimes feel like something is off. I can't put my finger on it, so now I'm thinking maybe the PDC is jacked up. A millisecond here or there are hard to hear on a full mix, but can smear things nevertheless.

I read others having similar issues. Until whatever the reason/configuration is identified, I can't use it at least not for mixing.

- Studio One v6.1.2
- Steinberg UR242
- Windows 11 x64
- i7 13700K
- 32 GB RAM
by PreAl on Sun May 28, 2023 10:26 am
I had an issue and today nearly logged a bug
Turned out to be a dodgy plugin on a completely unrelated hidden channel that increased the latency of a hardware synth massively when being played with another keyboard. Took me a few hours to work it out.

If you are getting pops or crackles I'm sorry but those tweaks definitely do apply..I assume you have at the very least run latencymon.

With a new system I make sure I implement them all regardless if I have issues or not.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by PreAl on Sun May 28, 2023 10:38 am
sgietz wroteThanks for the reply :)

I read elsewhere that certain plugins should be run in zero latency mode, like the Fabfilter ProQ. That's just not acceptable. I rarely use linear phase mode, but it's needed on occasion (e.g. parallel processing).

Appears this is the advice Fabfilter gives to all DAWs.

https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/us ... 20116%20ms).

When Linear Phase processing is selected, a Processing Resolution button becomes available. Choosing the correct resolution is a compromise depending on the program material and your personal preference. The following resolutions are available:

Low provides linear-phase processing with a minimal latency. Use only with low Q settings, or when only changing the mid-high part of the spectrum. With a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, it results in a total latency of 3072 samples (about 70 ms).
Medium is a good compromise between low-frequency resolution and latency and we recommend to use this in general for linear-phase processing. The total latency is 5120 samples at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz (about 116 ms).
High gives great low-frequency resolution. If you need to use high Q settings when changing the low end of the spectrum, use this mode. The total latency is 9216 samples at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz (about 209 ms).
Very High gives even better low-frequency resolution. The total latency is 17408 samples at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz (about 395 ms).
Maximum results in very high low-frequency resolution at the expense of a very large latency and possible pre-echo problems. The total latency here is 66560 samples at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz (about 1509 ms).
Note: when using both L/R-specific bands and M/S-specific bands at the same time, the linear phase processing will be done in two separate stages: first the L/R stage, then the M/S stage. Be aware that this will double the latency.

Changing EQ band frequencies in Linear Phase mode sounds just as smooth as when using the other modes, no zipper effects whatsoever. This might sound trivial, but it's actually quite unique in linear-phase processing!

Choosing a suitable processing mode
As already explained, in almost all normal mixing and mastering situations, Zero Latency mode or Natural Phase mode (with its even better accuracy and phase response) will be the best choice. It is important to understand that linear-phase processing is not better or more transparent than normal processing, it is different! Linear-phase EQ'ing is a problem-solving tool, in general only used to avoid phase cancellation problems.To learn mode about linear-phase vs. normal EQ'ing, watch Dan Worrall's excellent video tutorial on the subject: http://www.fabfilter.com/video/eq-linea ... imum-phase .

Of course performance is effected by CPU specs and the audio interface bus speeds, for anything else there is latencymon, bios and windows tweaks.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1