50 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
PreAl wrote<snip>

And btw, there.is a big difference between a workflow improvement and a workflow killer. Workflow killers can be just as bad as bugs, sadly agile development often doesn't measure this as a factor.

Absolutely agree, right on.

And captain obvious here: One person's workflow killer is absolutely a minimal issue for many others. The same feature can be "nice to have" if available (or not used), even when a specific feature is a showstopper for someone else.

And some of that is attitude. If I'm bothered by the lack of colors in the prior version, each time I noticed it, I was sidetracked. Some with very complex projects didn't care about only having 64 colors in the past. A subset maximized what was there, finding other methods that made sense for them (folders, naming conventions, groups, or ....)

For example: Someone who started with Audacity was thrilled to have 64 colors, and Event colors/labels in the previous versions. Someone coming from "DAW x" having 2000 colors might have based their workflow on color coding and developed a system around that... That didn't fly in S1 v5.x and earlier. They would feel constrained.

Until 6.x, they might have needed to stay in some other DAW *IF* that was the foundation of their workflow.

Now, color choices should be a none issue, with the custom palettes and color settings. Plus their implementation is extremely well done for picking/setting/storing colors. FAR beyond most other offerings.

Dev teams are always making tradeoffs, as some details are ripe for side effect issues, and amazing how adding something that seems simple can create a major coding/testing/refinement burdens over time.

We'll keep advocating for our needs and letting them know. That's a win, and I know some places I'd like them refining/changing are absolutely going to be ignored by a large set of people if/when they are implemented. A very complex moving target, over my pay grade to decide on the scheduling.

In a few cases, some may need to consider another DAW if something is killing their productivity. It's always possible S1 is the wrong DAW for someone if they have very specific needs, and S1 is a lower productivity solution for them. There are plenty of other options.

I take it from the lack of reports about the items in the release notes, that we have made some solid progress, even if they have additional refinements/features slated for the future.

Don

S1 v6.x Pro - latest version
PreSonus Studio 26, IO 24, Atom
Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
Win 11 Pro-32GB RAM-AMD 3900x
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM
MacOS Ventura (13.4) iMac i5 w 8 GB RAM

FB group: Studio One Users-Audiobooks, VO and Podcaster focused:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudioOneNarrationVO/

Studio One and iZotope RX Courses for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.VOJumpstart.com/

Studio One and iZotope RX Videos for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RedBaarnsAudio
by PreAl on Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:51 pm
Moving on...

There is a second bug to do with controllers arming tracks, this time with any type of track, whereby if a folder is armed the last track selected will arm, even outside the folder.

Discussed on the same thread I posted about arming instrument tracks with hardware synths.

It's a right dogs dinner arming tracks with controllers.

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=51589

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by fl16 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:17 pm
Quick note: For some reason the installer available in my account didn't install the latest version 6.1.2 and previous versions 6.0 and 6.1 were not showing it when clicking on "check for updates" this morning (June 1st of 2023). Is this intentional?
by PreAl on Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:10 am
Reproducible application crash when pinning editor here:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=51646

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by donaldbaarns on Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:42 am
fl16 wroteQuick note: For some reason the installer available in my account didn't install the latest version 6.1.2 and previous versions 6.0 and 6.1 were not showing it when clicking on "check for updates" this morning (June 1st of 2023). Is this intentional?

What is your current version?
What installer is available?
What do you see in your My.Presonus account?

Previous versions are in your My.Presonus account too...

Don

Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM

by fl16 on Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:44 am
donaldbaarns wrote
fl16 wroteQuick note: For some reason the installer available in my account didn't install the latest version 6.1.2 and previous versions 6.0 and 6.1 were not showing it when clicking on "check for updates" this morning (June 1st of 2023). Is this intentional?

What is your current version?
What installer is available?
What do you see in your My.Presonus account?

Previous versions are in your My.Presonus account too...

As I said, I was finally able to update from the version I downloaded from my account to the latest. I'm on 6.1.2.93766. I'm good now. Thank you.
by fl16 on Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:46 am
With this version, I'm getting 100% GPU usage though, which eventually makes the sound stutter. It didn't happen with Studio One 5. Anybody else is having this problem?
by PreAl on Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:45 am
fl16 wroteWith this version, I'm getting 100% GPU usage though, which eventually makes the sound stutter. It didn't happen with Studio One 5. Anybody else is having this problem?

Please update your signature with your spec's. We don't know if it's Windows or Mac, or what display adapters you have.

Make sure your display drivers are fully up to date, and if you have windows, download and have a go at latencymon.

I'd say it's very unlikely to be a Studio One problem, not 100% ruling it out however, it could be a plugin hogging resources.

by fl16 on Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:42 am
fl16 wroteWith this version, I'm getting 100% GPU usage though, which eventually makes the sound stutter. It didn't happen with Studio One 5. Anybody else is having this problem?

Reported to support. I can reproduce it by loading only the default Studio One "play now" piano and a m4a file on another track (slowed down). The GPU spikes to 100% making the UI almost unusable.

It happens on Windows 11, latest stable update. I have integrated graphics with the latest Intel update as well. As soon as I close Studio One the GPU is back to 1-3%.
by juvandes on Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:13 am
I've this too.. :(
I tried to investigate if there's a problematic plugin. Turned off one by one, and the problem persists. Sometimes restarting the system it works. But after some time it happens again.

I'm back to v5 again a couple of days ago..

Macbook Pro i9 32gb|Studio One 6.5.2|Protools 2023|Cubase Pro 12|Wavelab 11|Logic X|Apollo X8|2xUAD-2 Octo
UAD 11.0.1|Waves14| Soundtoys| Melodyne 5.3.1| Softube| PluginAlliance| Fabfilter| Sonnox| Eventide| Antares
by fl16 on Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:09 am
juvandes wroteI've this too.. :(
I tried to investigate if there's a problematic plugin. Turned off one by one, and the problem persists. Sometimes restarting the system it works. But after some time it happens again.

I'm back to v5 again a couple of days ago..

Please report it to support too. I'm sure that if it affects several users they will prioritize it.
by PreAl on Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:19 am
If a restart fixes things for a while, that generally points towards drivers or hardware. If the GPU is onboard, and the drivers are up to date, you may want to see if you can find a BIOS update for your motherboard.

Another thing, maybe completely uninstall the GPU drivers, reboot and then install the drivers again.

by fl16 on Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:18 am
PreAl wroteIf a restart fixes things for a while, that generally points towards drivers or hardware. If the GPU is onboard, and the drivers are up to date, you may want to see if you can find a BIOS update for your motherboard.

Another thing, maybe completely uninstall the GPU drivers, reboot and then install the drivers again.

How about fixing Studio One. When I close Studio One everything is back to normal so it is a bit rich to say that it can't be a problem with it.
by PreAl on Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:22 am
PreAl wroteIf a restart fixes things for a while, that generally points towards drivers or hardware. If the GPU is onboard, and the drivers are up to date, you may want to see if you can find a BIOS update for your motherboard.

fl16 wrote
How about fixing Studio One. When I close Studio One everything is back to normal so it is a bit rich to say that it can't be a problem with it.

Well I don't have your problem, so on the basis of your logic I could argue it's a "bit rich" to point to studio one as the problem. Fact is though I don't know either way.

Studio One uses certain devices drivers when running, and they stop being used when it is closed. Same with plugins. So there is absolutely no smoking gun here.

As I originally stated "I'd say it's very unlikely to be a Studio One problem, not 100% ruling out however".

Yet you seem to be 100% ruling out it's a problem with your system, that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Anyway up to you if you want to try and see if you can fix it or not, it's not my problem, I don't have your issue, and I'm just trying to help. Best of luck then.

by donaldbaarns on Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:23 am
fl16 wrote

As others have said, it's a maybe... We can't rule out S1, but that doesn't mean it's S1. IF it's a direct issue with S1, we should see it happening across many systems, since S1 has a huge installed base (multiple millions of installations...)

S1 may be making absolutely valid requests for resources, but another sub-system has an issue. Hardware, drivers, bios, video drivers, interface drivers are all part of the chain, and any of them can have an issue that is exposed by S1. (-OR- again: It could be S1, but your symptoms appear unique to your setup so far...)

In one of my previous computers: My computer worked great with S1 for 5+years. Then intermittently rebooted (blue screen crash) while using S1. It was random, could be twice in a day, then three days later once a day, then a week later three times in one day, followed by a crash every few hours...

Everything pointed to S1, as it wasn't happening with other programs. (I used S1 three to five times more than other programs... )

It took me over 3 months to find out I had a memory stick failing. Quicker memory tests (5 to 30 min) came back "clean". It took me running testing overnight to have the failure occur with the test software.

All to say, S1 was asking for memory, and *IF* my machine used something, it would crash. Replaced the memory, S1 has run for years without any of those crashes...

I'm NOT saying your memory is bad, but it's an example of the moving parts. Video drivers, bios, audio drivers and more, all are part of the chain, and it easily could be one of them. Something even harder to find, the current gen of a driver could have an issue too... So being on the latest of some driver might make it worse.

A newer version of S1 can expose issues with other components. I wish it was simple, but until others can reproduce your symptoms, it won't get addressed.

(There is a FB group with 40,000+ members... We should see posts in there if GPU usage was going through the roof for some others... I just scanned days of posts and don't see others with this same issue... NOT saying it's not real, or a bug, but still highly unlikely.)

Be sure to file a bug report, including the audio you are using AND if you want, start a new post about the issue, and give links to the same files you are testing. Some people will see if they can repro it, which will give you additional data points.

If it's real, we all want to know about it. No way to be sure without additional testing.

Don

Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM

by fl16 on Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:25 pm
Ok, thank you all for your feedback and sorry for judging previous claims as "rich". I'm a bit frustrated with the situation and I have tried everything to solve it so when I hear it is not a problem with S1, I despair.

This is what I need to reproduce this issue in my system (Windows 11):
1) create a new "play now" project with the default Studio One piano
2) drag and drop any m4a file to an audio track
3) set the bpm of the m4a audio track
4) change the bpm of the project (it will slow down or speed up the m4a)
5) Press play. If you change the project bpm while the song is playing the GPU easily goes to 100%.

Here's a video of this:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/c58880 ... e=sendgrid

Sorry, I wish I had more time to prepare example files.

If you don't mind this will be my last post. I have a show next week and I can't spend more time with this. I need to concentrate now to come up with a stable setup because when the GPU goes to 100% the CPU also gets jammed :(
by patricemazmanian on Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:50 am
fl16 wroteOk, thank you all for your feedback and sorry for judging previous claims as "rich". I'm a bit frustrated with the situation and I have tried everything to solve it so when I hear it is not a problem with S1, I despair.

This is what I need to reproduce this issue in my system (Windows 11):
1) create a new "play now" project with the default Studio One piano
2) drag and drop any m4a file to an audio track
3) set the bpm of the m4a audio track
4) change the bpm of the project (it will slow down or speed up the m4a)
5) Press play. If you change the project bpm while the song is playing the GPU easily goes to 100%.

Here's a video of this:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/c58880 ... e=sendgrid

Sorry, I wish I had more time to prepare example files.

If you don't mind this will be my last post. I have a show next week and I can't spend more time with this. I need to concentrate now to come up with a stable setup because when the GPU goes to 100% the CPU also gets jammed :(

Have you tried with this check parameter?

S1 pro 6 -Vienna Ensemble Pro - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win10 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - EWQL hollywood-orchestra...
by fl16 on Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:32 pm
patricemazmanian wrote
Have you tried with this check parameter?

Yes it is checked.

There seems to be a problem with hardware acceleration. If I set the windows display scale to 100%, the GPU doesn't go beyond 15%.
by PreAl on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:05 pm
Please update your signature with your specs, especially graphics card model and OS. I don't know if you stated it or not already but it's just much easier to refer to a signature.

Please confirm you are on the latest display driver version and firmware for your graphics card. If the graphics is on the motherboard confirm latest driver and motherboard bios.

If windows make sure windows update is up to date.

Happy to try and check it out if issues persist after this.

by PreAl on Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:34 am
Nevermind, on Windows 11 and 6.1.2 following exact steps to repro using a stretched m4a (cache for timestretched audio is on), changing project tempo on the fly as well, the max GPU (with EVGA Geforce 1070) I get is about 3%, and when minimized 0% (well does not register) which I would assume is by design.

Soo whether you have Windows or Mac, please check my previous post. If mac also make sure it's properly patched to the latest, I suggest.

50 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3