8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Okay, so I know this isn't an S1 issue ... it's something with my studio PC that's somehow become incompatible with S1 after initially being okay, which works great on my laptop and on my iMac.Buggered if I can figure out what, but I suspect the video card/driver for no reason other than the lagging.
I'm using Songs that have no third party plugins other than Addictive Drums 2. Average 16 tracks of rock music, a few synth VST (Presonus). However, it went nuts just recording a single track!
Functions like "Save As..." just freeze the program. The mixdown window shows no progress, but eventually can create a mixdown. Pretty much everything lags and doesn't want to work.
One interesting point, I used to use two monitors and stopped temporarily while tackling this problem, and Songs that had the Mixer or Plugins on the second screen are still trying to do that -- I have to Reset Windows in the View menu to bring them back. I would have thought S1 would automatically recognise there was only one monitor.
I've updated all my drivers, tweaked Win10 as required, I'm seeing no spikes on my CPU or RAM usage when things go haywire, however System Interrupts does spike to 80-90% which suggests some hardware unhappiness.
I have an SSD C System Drive with my audio recorded to a separate SSD drive partitioned with my Samples on the other side.
Possibly, I'm looking at a PC hardware failure gathering momentum.
Any advice on how I can go through a process of elimination to try and narrow this down?

In case my signature is OOD, Win 10, 4-core I7 CPU, 16GB Ram, 1810C interface, NVidia G710 video card.

Thanks in advance.

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by PreAl on Wed May 24, 2023 4:46 am
I suggest...

Download latencymon, Google on how to use it, and report back. Send a screenshot of highest DPC drivers. Make sure no apps are running when running latencymon.

BTW the latest nvidia drivers are apparently problematic, you may want to try a much earlier version if you have the latest.

Also check to see how much space you have left on your drives.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by GMHague on Wed May 24, 2023 5:54 pm
PreAl wroteI suggest...

Download latencymon, Google on how to use it, and report back. Send a screenshot of highest DPC drivers. Make sure no apps are running when running latencymon.

BTW the latest nvidia drivers are apparently problematic, you may want to try a much earlier version if you have the latest.

Also check to see how much space you have left on your drives.

Thanks PreAl, I'll do this. TBH I wish I could just "drive" the video card without all the nvidia crap that seems to be installed with it — and that's with a custom install that avoids all the gaming crap. Good call to roll back the driver to something much earlier.

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
by PreAl on Wed May 24, 2023 6:48 pm
You could look up "DDU" utility.

Cheers.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by GMHague on Sun May 28, 2023 6:51 pm
Well, it turns out my GT710 graphics card is pretty old and underpowered, and when I took it out it *seems* like S1 is happier. However, my mobo can't output the required resolution for my 32-inch monitor, so I'm off to our local IT shop to chat about solutions.
Dunno why an albeit low-end graphics card that's coped for two years should suddenly struggle, but then again drivers, Windows ... you never know.
I'll update.

by PreAl on Sun May 28, 2023 7:08 pm
Check out if your internal motherboard display port is more powerful?
Last edited by PreAl on Mon May 29, 2023 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Vocalpoint on Mon May 29, 2023 5:58 am
GMHague wroteHowever, my mobo can't output the required resolution for my 32-inch monitor, so I'm off to our local IT shop to chat about solutions.

What motherboard do you have? I am driving a 40inch Samsung HD Plasma with my internal HDMI motherboard connection (*see my sig) and have no issues outputing 1920x1080p.

Haven't had a video card in my DAW since the early 2010's....and every board I have ever had did HD with no issues.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by GMHague on Mon May 29, 2023 7:38 pm
So the thot just seriously plickened ...bear in mind that I've never been able to use most CTC or Console Shaper settings because the extra 30% CPU usage would bring to performance around 55% and the Song would collapse.

I was still experiencing some lag and freezing issues without the video card, but not as bad, and today I planned to take the PC into my IT guy for some testing that's outside of my skillset. I realised that, as a test, none of my S1 Songs would load properly because the Mobo sound card won't do 48/24 sample, and I didn't want to drag in the 1810C after disconnecting all the headphone amp/distributer cables.

So instead I connected a relatively ancient Focusrite 2i2 (First generation) as an interface ... and voila. Everything worked fine. I can even run the hottest CTC and Console Shaper settings, at about 60% CPU, and everything is happy.

So it's the UC Driver? It's the latest, properly installed (well, AFAIK). Now I'll search this forum for any similar UC issues. But I'm still going to get my IT guy to test and tweak the PC, with extra attention to the USB3 ports and hubs. Might as well...

Thoughts?

8 posts
Page 1 of 1