5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a Quantum 2626.

I'm performing some MIDI latency tests.

I notice that with a soft synth such as Mai Tai there is zero (or near zero) latency when recording the audio back from a MIDI note. Good.

I then tried a couple of my external synths and I get about 7ms delay (there are slight differences between the hardware synths). Of course is pretty insignificant, but regardless I want to make an adjustment in order to fulfil my OCD requirements.

My MIDI OUT is not being sent by the Quantum, but is being sent by a U6MIDI Pro (MIDI interface/router) which has a USB C port and routes to standard MIDI out cables.
https://www.cme-pro.com/u6-midi-pro-usb ... ng-filter/

In Studio One 6.1.1 I went to Options->Advanced->MIDI->Record Offset and added -7ms. It makes no difference at all, and even adding in like -1000ms or +1000ms seems to do nothing.

Is this to be expected? I am wondering what MIDI devices this actually offsets?

as per manual...

"Record Offset allows you to input a value, in milliseconds, by which any recorded musical performance should be offset in the arrangement, thereby compensating for device/driver latency."

What would be fantastic would be to have different offsets for different instruments. They vary between 3ms to 7ms.... and yes I know, probably not even perceptible, but there could be some old synths I may come across that have significant delays in future. OK I admit it, it's my OCD.

Thanks...

midi-latencty.png

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jasonmartin19 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:46 pm
Bump on this, I'm keen to understand the right way to manage MIDI latency offset in S1 also
Isn't track delay (in the inspector) exactly what you are describing?

I never use that for external hardware as I work only with VST's, but just put a -7 value there.

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by Tacman7 on Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:53 am
You're talking about audio latency in external instruments. The delay isn't because of the midi being so slow, it's the time it takes your external equipment to respond to midi and the time it takes to process the audio and get it into the interface etc.

I was thinking you can have a record offset, only what you record gets offset so there's no place to have two record offsets.
But there are two record offsets! One in advanced Midi and one in Audio. How does that work?
One is samples and one milliseconds...
---
Audio: Record Offset allows you to input a value, in samples, by which any recorded audio should be offset in the arrangement, thereby compensating for device/driver latency.
Midi: Record Offset allows you to input a value, in milliseconds, by which any recorded musical performance should be offset in the arrangement, thereby compensating for device/driver latency.
I never used record offset even when I worked with an arranger keyboard to record parts.
---
Delay is what you would use unless you trim the front of your recording then snap it into place. I used to trim mp3 files cause they have a space on the front of them and it would mess up your timing in about 10 bars. Used to use an external fx unit and an arranger keyboard but never used record offset. I manage that myself if needed.

Delay is a neat property. Late in a mix try +or- 1ms or .5ms on different tracks to change the rhythmic cadence, keep sounds from walking on each other .

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by PreAl on Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:01 am
Refering to the original post.

I did contact support, below is an edited summary of their response, most of it is a response to my misunderstanding here:

If you are using Options > Advanced > Midi > Record Offset and not seeing it affect your recordings, please test that by doing a loop test, playing hard quantized midi back into another instrument track to record and comparing the result (so it's my mistake above, I was comparing this to audio tracks).

The best way to check MIDI timing is to play hard quantized MIDI notes out and back into a MIDI input and record them into a new MIDI event, to see where the notes land. That removes the human factor from the equation where you may be playing a little early or late. In this case you'll know exactly where the notes were triggered / played and you can can easily measure or observe any offsets.

While doing that you can change the MIDI Record Offset and repeat the test to see the offset being applied one way or another until you get what you need.

Other takeaways:

It applies to any MIDI recording, so if you have two MIDI interfaces it is not accommodated for (that would be a feature request).
Also, there is no unique midi offset on a per hardware synth basis (that would be another feature request).
So it would be cool if these were implemented. Otherwise timing perfectionists would have to adjust the offsets manually in these situations.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1