42 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
Lokeyfly wroteThe MOTU M4 is a nice unit, but unless you're springing for an Apogee Symphony, or an RME Babyface Pro FS, it would be worth considering some serious contenders leading the midrange price-point. Just sayin'.

Not quite sure what you mean here - the Motu M4 is currently priced at similar to many of the serious contenders, yet is not as expensive as the other interfaces you mention. Audient interfaces are great but the Motu has many features which I want. What contenders did you have in mind?

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by Lokeyfly on Fri May 19, 2023 1:44 pm
garyshepherd wrote
Lokeyfly wroteThe MOTU M4 is a nice unit, but unless you're springing for an Apogee Symphony, or an RME Babyface Pro FS, it would be worth considering some serious contenders leading the midrange price-point. Just sayin'.

Not quite sure what you mean here - the Motu M4 is currently priced at similar to many of the serious contenders, yet is not as expensive as the other interfaces you mention. Audient interfaces are great but the Motu has many features which I want. What contenders did you have in mind?

There's also some strong mid priced contenders with the Focusrite Clarrett + 4Pre, SSL 12USB, etc.
Mostly, I was driving at the Audient. Particularly with the points I made. I get less latency then just about anything, not having on board effects already on. I don't particularly care for on board effects on an audio Interface unless it's a UAD Apollo. They do a great job at matching and altering impedance to those units they model. That's impressive, though many don't need that, or the adding mixer patching on top of that, unless you purchase their own DAW "Luna".

But hey, you did the homework, so I'm just offering that I don't believe the M4 is a step up from even what you have. The mk II audient variety is about 6dB better in dynamic range then the M4. Plus better headphone amp, converters, etc.
Anyway, best going forward.
You can always text me for more info.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by patricebrousseau on Fri May 19, 2023 8:28 pm
PreAl wroteI'm beginning to think my Saffire Pro 40 has had it's day, and I'm thinking of a replacement.

I have a Thunderbolt 3 PC (running Windows and Hackintosh) so naturally I'm looking at the PreSonus Quantum 2626. Does anybody have this interface and are you still happy with it? Any cons? Are they still supplying driver and firmware updates? I'm wondering if they are going to replace this model and discontinue any time soon.

Do you ever suffer from RF noise or hum from the speaker outputs with this unit? (backstory: my Saffire has become a RF magnet, I've managed to work out it's probably the interface itself that's the antenna as I live next to a railway track and my Presonus Studio 26 doesn't seem to have this issue - Yes I've ruled out cables, dimmers, fridges, power supply, USB, computer, and enough have ferrites to surpress a thunderstorm - I've researched and experimented this to death for days, so not looking for help, regardless I've got a Behringer HD400 Ultra Compact 2 Channel Hum Suppressor on order)

Anybody here want to recommend an alternative interface with similar kind of specs?
Just seeing what's up, I'm particularly interested in those who use Studio One (hence I posted here).

Thx.

Using a 2626 on my Z390 Designare Hackintosh (Mojave) since 2020. No hum or RF noise to my knowledge. Stuck on 3.52 UC driver as it works really well.

Really low RTL but I’ve noticed that it performs better in Reaper than in Studio One 5…

Good luck however finding a 2626 (used maybe)?
by patricebrousseau on Fri May 19, 2023 8:30 pm
tremo wrote
Tacman7 wroteNever had a Presonus interface, I'm constantly blown away by the little Presonus monitors, three and a half inches, great bass out of those little speakers... but I digress.

Off on a little tangent -- I love those Eris 3.5 speakers too. We have two pairs, one in my studio (on top of my Dynaudios) and one in the kitchen. I've listened to thousands of hours of music on them, so they're great for checking mixes. Great sounding little speakers for a hundred bucks!

You’ll be pleased I think!
by ianaeillo on Fri May 19, 2023 11:43 pm
Now that you’ve moved past it, don’t forget that you can use the Saffire Pro 40 in standalone mode. It’ll do simultaneous AD/DA over ADAT and SPDIF. I picked one up for $40 bucks and keep it around in case I need a few extra inputs.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by PreAl on Sat May 20, 2023 3:10 am
ianaeillo wroteNow that you’ve moved past it, don’t forget that you can use the Saffire Pro 40 in standalone mode. It’ll do simultaneous AD/DA over ADAT and SPDIF. I picked one up for $40 bucks and keep it around in case I need a few extra inputs.

Already done that :)

My issue is that those Quantum optical ports appear to be only for ADAT only and not SPDIF (unlike the Pro 40).

Unfortunately the RF noise is just as bad. I'm awaiting my Beringer hum surpressor.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by patricebrousseau on Sat May 20, 2023 8:30 am
PreAl wrote
ianaeillo wroteNow that you’ve moved past it, don’t forget that you can use the Saffire Pro 40 in standalone mode. It’ll do simultaneous AD/DA over ADAT and SPDIF. I picked one up for $40 bucks and keep it around in case I need a few extra inputs.

Already done that :)

My issue is that those Quantum optical ports appear to be only for ADAT only and not SPDIF (unlike the Pro 40).

Unfortunately the RF noise is just as bad. I'm awaiting my Beringer hum surpressor.

Any wireless devices near the computer, even wireless keyboard/mouse?

Take a look at my other reply on the other thread.
by PreAl on Sat May 20, 2023 2:24 pm
Have replied on the other thread (and see the first post). Keyboard and mouse are wired. Many thanks.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by garyshepherd on Sat May 20, 2023 7:00 pm
Lokeyfly wrote[
But hey, you did the homework, so I'm just offering that I don't believe the M4 is a step up from even what you have. The mk II audient variety is about 6dB better in dynamic range then the M4. Plus better headphone amp, converters, etc.

Thanks for your advice - having used the iD14 mk1 for many years I think it has been great - the Motu M4 has an on/off switch, the input monitor balance and much clearer meters - all functional things. The iD14 mk2 doesn't have much more than the mk1 so no point in upgrading. People will dispute the technical aspects and say the Motu M4 is a step up including a better headphone amp. It is probably marginal soundwise at my home studio level, and so functions are important in the workflow. This is why it is tricky as no clear opinions or data - the conclusion is that these two interfaces, plus the SSL, are all really good. Probably functionality wins when the difference in sound is not that great. But still pondering......

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by PreAl on Sun May 21, 2023 10:28 am
PreAl wroteregardless I've got a Behringer HD400 Ultra Compact 2 Channel Hum Suppressor on order)

It works - hurrah!
Wish I bought this ages ago.

by patricebrousseau on Sun May 21, 2023 10:34 am
PreAl wrote
PreAl wroteregardless I've got a Behringer HD400 Ultra Compact 2 Channel Hum Suppressor on order)

It works - hurrah!

Congrats, enjoy your 2626!

BTW, I use Apple own AULab to route inputs to ouputs when I don't want to fire the DAW! 32 samples...
by Lokeyfly on Sun May 21, 2023 10:45 am
garyshepherd wrote
Lokeyfly wrote[

Thanks for your advice - having used the iD14 mk1 for many years I think it has been great - the Motu M4 has an on/off switch, the input monitor balance and much clearer meters - all functional things. The iD14 mk2 doesn't have much more than the mk1 so no point in upgrading. People will dispute the technical aspects and say the Motu M4 is a step up including a better headphone amp. It is probably marginal soundwise at my home studio level, and so functions are important in the workflow. This is why it is tricky as no clear opinions or data - the conclusion is that these two interfaces, plus the SSL, are all really good. Probably functionality wins when the difference in sound is not that great. But still pondering......

Functionality is very important. Don't want to step on this thread. Was simply suggesting an alternative. We all have different needs.
The M4 shows input metering. The iD units do not. They only show output, headphone, etc. I believe it's due to with every added component, switch, or anything in a circuit, brings some additional noise. (Engineering 101). I suspect Audient didn't forget to add that, but chose most (not all) users of desktop interfaces, will view the monitor VU's. The Audient mkII's also can sample down to 8 samples with dense tracks. You can even forget to change it back, and you won't get pops/noise with no discernable latency.
But I get the preference to have what each user needs, first and foremost. That can be many things.👍
Cheers.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by TonalDynamics on Sun May 21, 2023 2:05 pm
PreAl wrote

It works - hurrah!

PreAI,

I also bought a Quantum2626 a while back for my W10 PC, and installed the ASUS Ex-3 (?) TB add-in card for it (ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO).

I was stoked to get it since it would have some natural integration with S1, and the latencies were reported to be insanely fast.

TB Devices were detected perfectly, drivers installed without a hitch, Intel TB port controllers and software suite detected all inputs and returned no errors... but the performance was quite 'off'.

From memory briefly, when I compared it to my Firestudio Project that I've had since forever:

The latency was perhaps 25-30% 'better' at 128 samples -- but shockingly actually higher at 32 and 64 samples, and literally unusable at 16, even with a marginal/very slight Insert CPU load.

Also, the crackling and artifact generation were a lot worse at virtually every sample buffer.

It seemed like a classic driver issue. Based on this and my past experiences with Firestudio Universal Control drivers, I honestly don't think Presonus is very good at making Windows drivers at all (I had TONS of issues back in the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 days, before 2019, with audio becoming unresponsive and artifact generation with all sorts of W7 applications, including DAWs)

With W10 in 2019 I finally found some stability with my Firestudio and that U.C. version...

But yeah, was totally underwhelmed with the Quantum, not just with the merely moderate reported improvements to RTL (as given within S1 5.5), but also with the poor performance at each respective buffer, with the sorest spot being that 16 samples was literally non-functional even when not under load... for me, it not only failed to live up to the hype, but was a fairly large disappointment.

Love their hardware (Scepter S8s rule)! Love their DAW!

But if your life depends on it and you can only pick one company to make you a Windows driver... don't pick Presonus IME.

YMMV!

P.S.

Fun bit of trivia, the Firestudio Project actually has direct hardware monitoring built in to it's inputs, but they inexplicably stopped supporting that feature from v. 5 onwards... it was and still is a pretty big sore spot for me to this day, since I used that feature constantly during tracking.

I had a long support ticket where I kept asking for an explanation as to why it was no longer supported: You know the 'green-Z' we get now for parallel monitoring? Well that thing used to turn blue as well, for those with supported Presonus interfaces, and you could monitor directly from the interface with ultra-low latency! When they introduced the parallel feature (Green Z), they put it on the same button as the old 'blue-z', and thus literally just rubbed the 'blue-z' out of existence, and with it the much beloved hardware monitoring solution.

I'm still not entirely convinced that there's not some hack one could use to restore it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Composer for Media, Producer, Noodler.

System Specs:

Studio One Professional v6.5

Windows 10 LTSC 21H2, i9 10850k, 128gb RAM, 6 TB SSD+6 TB HDD, RME Fireface 800
by patricebrousseau on Sun May 21, 2023 2:23 pm
TonalDynamics wrote
PreAl wrote

It works - hurrah!

PreAI,

I also bought a Quantum2626 a while back for my W10 PC, and installed the ASUS Ex-3 (?) TB add-in card for it (ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO).

I was stoked to get it since it would have some natural integration with S1, and the latencies were reported to be insanely fast.

TB Devices were detected perfectly, drivers installed without a hitch, Intel TB port controllers and software suite detected all inputs and returned no errors... but the performance was quite 'off'.

From memory briefly, when I compared it to my Firestudio Project that I've had since forever:

The latency was perhaps 25-30% 'better' at 128 samples -- but shockingly actually higher at 32 and 64 samples, and literally unusable at 16, even with a marginal/very slight Insert CPU load.

Also, the crackling and artifact generation were a lot worse at virtually every sample buffer.

It seemed like a classic driver issue. Based on this and my past experiences with Firestudio Universal Control drivers, I honestly don't think Presonus is very good at making Windows drivers at all (I had TONS of issues back in the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 days, before 2019, with audio becoming unresponsive and artifact generation with all sorts of W7 applications, including DAWs)

With W10 in 2019 I finally found some stability with my Firestudio and that U.C. version...

But yeah, was totally underwhelmed with the Quantum, not just with the merely moderate reported improvements to RTL (as given within S1 5.5), but also with the poor performance at each respective buffer, with the sorest spot being that 16 samples was literally non-functional even when not under load... for me, it not only failed to live up to the hype, but was a fairly large disappointment.

But if your life depends on it and you can only pick one company to make you a Windows driver... don't pick Presonus IME.

YMMV!

P.S.

Fun bit of trivia, the Firestudio Project actually has direct hardware monitoring built in to it's inputs, but they inexplicably stopped supporting that feature from v. 5 onwards... it was and still is a pretty big sore spot for me to this day, since I used that feature constantly during tracking.

I had a long support ticket where I kept asking for an explanation as to why it was no longer supported: You know the 'green-Z' we get now for parallel monitoring? Well that thing used to turn blue as well, for those with supported Presonus interfaces, and you could monitor directly from the interface with ultra-low latency! When they introduced the parallel feature (Green Z), they put it on the same button as the old 'blue-z', and thus literally just rubbed the 'blue-z' out of existence, and with it the much beloved hardware monitoring solution.

I'm still not entirely convinced that there's not some hack one could use to restore it!

@PreAI already bought the 2626…

No problems here on MacOS Mojave. Better performing in Reaper than in S1 though.

I use it often in AULab (Apple AU plugins host) to monitor the inputs at 24 or 32 buffer. In Reaper or S1, 64 is plenty sufficient for really low RTL. No need to go lower, IMHO.

Cannot attest to the Windows performance…
by PreAl on Sun May 21, 2023 3:34 pm
TonalDynamics wrote
PreAI,

YMMV!

P.S.

Well no crackling at 48 with Win 11. I ran an audio loopback test, I saw zero latency. I also did some with some hardware synths although I wasn't using the Quantum midi interface. Soft synths were bang on too.
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=51530

I ran the studio one V6 demo with the video you can see my hardware specs below. About 35% CPU no issues.

Hasn't been tested in the field yet, I'm just recreating all my templates.

by TonalDynamics on Sun May 21, 2023 9:51 pm
patricebrousseau wrote@PreAI already bought the 2626…

Yep, saw that. My issues were a bit more profound than his, thought it might be worth sharing if anyone is considering buying one, to at least try to retain the option for a return/refund if they run into similar problems (another reason why I buy things through Sweetwater!)

At any rate, installing a TB add-in card is quite a pain in the junk in the best of cases, to say nothing of compatibility issues, and it's probably just better to have a MOBO with TB support built directly into the chipset; tread with caution here.
patricebrousseau wroteI use it often in AULab (Apple AU plugins host) to monitor the inputs at 24 or 32 buffer. In Reaper or S1, 64 is plenty sufficient for really low RTL. No need to go lower, IMHO.

Funny enough, when I push my Firestudio down to 32 Buffers (from 128), the low latency monitoring (green Z) goes from 8 ms to 9.

I'm not sure anyone still quite understands how the 'green-Z' works, exactly. Just another example of strange behavior, even with a Presonus interface.

patricebrousseau wroteCannot attest to the Windows performance…

Lucky you :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Composer for Media, Producer, Noodler.

System Specs:

Studio One Professional v6.5

Windows 10 LTSC 21H2, i9 10850k, 128gb RAM, 6 TB SSD+6 TB HDD, RME Fireface 800
by patricebrousseau on Mon May 22, 2023 6:20 am
TonalDynamics wrote
patricebrousseau wrote@PreAI already bought the 2626…

Yep, saw that. My issues were a bit more profound than his, thought it might be worth sharing if anyone is considering buying one, to at least try to retain the option for a return/refund if they run into similar problems (another reason why I buy things through Sweetwater!)

At any rate, installing a TB add-in card is quite a pain in the junk in the best of cases, to say nothing of compatibility issues, and it's probably just better to have a MOBO with TB support built directly into the chipset; tread with caution here.
patricebrousseau wroteI use it often in AULab (Apple AU plugins host) to monitor the inputs at 24 or 32 buffer. In Reaper or S1, 64 is plenty sufficient for really low RTL. No need to go lower, IMHO.

Funny enough, when I push my Firestudio down to 32 Buffers (from 128), the low latency monitoring (green Z) goes from 8 ms to 9.

I'm not sure anyone still quite understands how the 'green-Z' works, exactly. Just another example of strange behavior, even with a Presonus interface.

patricebrousseau wroteCannot attest to the Windows performance…

Lucky you :lol:

I’m not really fond of the « Z » thing in S1:

- even at the lowest setting, there is still a kind of safety buffer, correct me if I’m wrong;
- when using mild settings, clicks and pops appears but not when disengaged (Walker D 1955 piano at full polyphony);

Mind you, the latest test I’ve done was with a big hungry piano patch, 1955 Walker D in Kontakt.

Like said, it plays without troubles in Reaper @64. The audio engine of Reaper is definitely more efficient.

The MB I have, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, has built in TB3 and I chose it specifically for this reason (and the fact that it’s easily « Hackintoshable »).

What I’d like to have is the Reaper audio engine with the layout/workflow of S1!
by PreAl on Mon May 22, 2023 6:26 am
patricebrousseau wrote
The MB I have, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, has built in TB3 and I chose it specifically for this reason (and the fact that it’s easily « Hackintoshable »).

I have the same motherboard (you don't have RF issues?), I have Windows, Catalina and Ubuntu Linux running on it (multiboot on a single SSD).

Curious to know what your graphics card is (I have a Nvidia 1070) if you don't get RF issues.

Yes I would like to see improvements with the audio engine as well.

by patricebrousseau on Mon May 22, 2023 7:53 am
PreAl wrote
patricebrousseau wrote

I have the same motherboard (you don't have RF issues?), I have Windows, Catalina and Ubuntu Linux running on it (multiboot on a single SSD).

Curious to know what your graphics card is (I have a Nvidia 1070) if you don't get RF issues.

Yes I would like to see improvements with the audio engine as well.

No RF issues since I replaced my wireless mouse. Like said, I use a couple Radial Stage Bugs SB-6 between various devices (even one between my 2626 and my home studio amp, a vintage Eico HF-81, tubed!, maybe it helped too!).

My GPU is an ASUS RX560.

I also have three Radial BigShot ABY, sporting isolated B outputs and ground lift switches.

The only RF/EMI’s I suffer is through my single coil or unshielded guitars/basses.

Ground loops/EMI/RFI are a pain in this day and age of polluting wireless signals nearby!

Anyway, I understand that the Behringer box solved your problem?

Patrice
by PreAl on Mon May 22, 2023 7:58 am
Yes all good. Thx.

42 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3