42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
I'm beginning to think my Saffire Pro 40 has had it's day, and I'm thinking of a replacement.

I have a Thunderbolt 3 PC (running Windows and Hackintosh) so naturally I'm looking at the PreSonus Quantum 2626. Does anybody have this interface and are you still happy with it? Any cons? Are they still supplying driver and firmware updates? I'm wondering if they are going to replace this model and discontinue any time soon.

Do you ever suffer from RF noise or hum from the speaker outputs with this unit? (backstory: my Saffire has become a RF magnet, I've managed to work out it's probably the interface itself that's the antenna as I live next to a railway track and my Presonus Studio 26 doesn't seem to have this issue - Yes I've ruled out cables, dimmers, fridges, power supply, USB, computer, and enough have ferrites to surpress a thunderstorm - I've researched and experimented this to death for days, so not looking for help, regardless I've got a Behringer HD400 Ultra Compact 2 Channel Hum Suppressor on order)

Anybody here want to recommend an alternative interface with similar kind of specs?
Just seeing what's up, I'm particularly interested in those who use Studio One (hence I posted here).

Thx.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Tacman7 on Tue May 16, 2023 7:45 pm
That's a lot of bang for the buck if you compare available:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1089--Thund ... b=low2high

Free mic, and it comes with some software.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface
Yeah if you look at the I/O you get and the features it looks pretty good.

Never had a Presonus interface, I'm constantly blown away by the little Presonus monitors, three and a half inches, great bass out of those little speakers... but I digress.

Those motu's look good, I would have a look at them, I use an M2 that's been less trouble than the native instruments one I had.

The Apollo heritage and mac mini m1 or m2 make such a tight package, they look like they were made together.
Can't turn it off, computer on, interface on, then the audio system seems wired into the UAD mixer so you can print with a UAD plugin through the mixer, I'm liking it, turned off my $750 preamp/compressor combo from FMR audio and not missing it. And latency, it's ridiculous, like plugging into a guitar amp.

Still got one of these if you want to go firewire:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tc ... konnekt-48
Check out what that can do, they don't make full featured like that anymore!

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by PreAl on Wed May 17, 2023 5:03 am
Thanks for your post.

I bit the bullet. A Quantum 2626 is on its way tomorrow, £457 ($569 Inc tax) from scan.co.uk was a difficult to resist price.

I saw posts saying it may too have issues with RF noise, I figured the only way to test this is to buy it, and if there is an issue...return it.

I'll miss the flashing multiple LED's but hey....
Plus I hope I can link the Saffire up with it via ADAT/SPDIF. If anybody has done that please let me know, I'll RTFM in the meantime!

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by tremo on Wed May 17, 2023 5:58 am
Tacman7 wroteNever had a Presonus interface, I'm constantly blown away by the little Presonus monitors, three and a half inches, great bass out of those little speakers... but I digress.

Off on a little tangent -- I love those Eris 3.5 speakers too. We have two pairs, one in my studio (on top of my Dynaudios) and one in the kitchen. I've listened to thousands of hours of music on them, so they're great for checking mixes. Great sounding little speakers for a hundred bucks!

Studio One 6.5.1 | Live 11 | Logic 10.8
Mac Studio Max | 14.2 | 32GB
MOTU 828es | Presonus Studio 1824c | MOTU M4 | UAD Quad Satellite
by PreAl on Wed May 17, 2023 6:47 am
Tangents are welcome, happy to have general discussion. Thx.

by garybowling on Wed May 17, 2023 6:54 pm
I've had several different brands of interfaces, several friends and studios I do work at have had other brands of interfaces.

At some point I purchased an RME interface, eventually everyone I did work with purchased an RME interface. It's truly one of the only things in the modern world that I have that "just works." And works for years and is supported even after it's not made any more.

I now have 4 RME interfaces! I can't give a higher recommendation for any product I use sans maybe some vintage drums I own or an exquisite acoustic guitar I have, neither of which has electrons running through it :)

Unless they go out of business or somehow get stupid all of a sudden, I'll never own another brand.

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by jebbyslonar on Thu May 18, 2023 12:00 am
I used to want thunderbolt interface. What are you some kind of audiophile or an engineer to the stars? I have given up on that. I could record in 96 kHz+ but I'm not interested anymore. I just make music. They reduce the size anyways on any audio hosting website. Yes bandcamp will let you download wav files I have an album like that. But if I had wav files of every cd I listen to, I would need a 30TB microSD to carry them around in my phone. Just get what I use. They are handy little interfaces. I record 5 synths and mic+ whatever I have several more ins, live with it.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Look up what I'm doing today on my Bitchute channel "Wind Whispering Through The Trees"
Not always SFW not always NSFW Usually music though
by PreAl on Thu May 18, 2023 2:07 am
The most important thing for me is latency and the quality of the preamps, and anything to reduce RF noise. 1ms latency can't be argued with.

Argh - no thunderbolt cable supplied with the Quantum. That's another cost.. expensive. I hope I can find a USB-C cable to limp along in the meantime.
https://amzn.eu/d/70TQMau

by PreAl on Thu May 18, 2023 4:54 am
Just discovered Quantum 2626 has no Linux support!
Nooooooooooo!

I'll work on it (I'm not doing any recording on this OS), guess I'll have to implement workarounds with other interfaces otherwise.

So, so far the disadvantages are (and I haven't even received the interface yet).
No thunderbolt cable.
No Linux support. Proprietary driver.
No hardware routing (software only, fine in Studio One).
No flashy monitoring disco LEDs.
Power button on the back and not on the front (WHY OH WHY!).
Inputs on the front and not the back (well... that's a matter of opinion on whether that is an advantage or disadvantage).

Guess they saved some costs here.

by klypeman on Thu May 18, 2023 5:26 am
Thunderbolt-wise I have the 2626 and a Apollo Twin and are most happy with them both latency wise. Pre-amps are clear and transparent on both.
I also have the USB3 Apollo as UA did’nt provide Thunderbolt support for Windows until late and I love their plugins.
Haven’t had any hum from either brand’s outputs and I live 40 feet from the railways too…
Happy with that !
Only time it shows it ugly head is when I have turned up gain all the way on one of my older guitars and forgotten to use MXR cables.. and not using a good DI box and just straight in at the first two on 2626.
That’s probably not the devices but me..
Hopefully you’ll be happy 😃
Cable-wise I only use Apple cables 2Meters

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by garyshepherd on Thu May 18, 2023 6:15 am
I'm about to purchase a Motu M4 to replace my Audient iD14 mk1 (which has been great) - depends what functions you want as the sound will be similar.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by PreAl on Thu May 18, 2023 7:01 am
klypeman wroteCable-wise I only use Apple cables 2Meters

The only Apple Thunderbolt cable I've seen that Is 2m is a Thunderbolt 2 cable? (Not 3). I ordered a V4 cable because it was cheaper (changed it to 2m, decided I might need extra length later).

by klypeman on Thu May 18, 2023 9:17 am
You are right about the cable (facepalm) to the Apollo Twin as it is an older version... V2 cable but functions with the V3 to V2 converter on my MacMini the 2626 is in my studio for the moment and I don't get there before a month's time. Will check it out what I got there for the IMac.
Peace.

Forum Moderator.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by PreAl on Thu May 18, 2023 10:48 am
Well, I've got the Quantum 2626, but I can't connect it to my PC (I don't have a Thunderbolt cable yet!). All I've done is plug the main outs into my Yamaha monitors and its own power supply. That's it.

I have very loud crackles when I turn up the main volume, see this video to see what I mean... Is this normal??

(BTW nothing wrong with the cables, came out of the Pro 40 and the crackles happen in exactly the same place on the main volume output dial/pot).

phpBB [video]

Guess I wait for the cable!

by Lokeyfly on Thu May 18, 2023 11:08 am
garyshepherd wroteI'm about to purchase a Motu M4 to replace my Audient iD14 mk1 (which has been great) - depends what functions you want as the sound will be similar.

Hi Gary [sidebar]
Sounds like an Audient iD24 mkII (or iD44 mk II) would be well worth the visit. Less latency, higher 126dB dynamic range, better preamp (that you can also bypass), JFET instrument input (for best instrument impedance matching). Lastly, class leading converters.
4 in 4 out with provisions for 10 in, 14 out, digitally via ADAT. (20 in 24 out on iD44 mk II)

The MOTU M4 is a nice unit, but unless you're springing for an Apogee Symphony, or an RME Babyface Pro FS, it would be worth considering some serious contenders leading the midrange price-point. Just sayin'.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by jebbyslonar on Thu May 18, 2023 3:00 pm
PreAl wroteI'm beginning to think my Saffire Pro 40 has had it's day, and I'm thinking of a replacement.

I don't have any interfaces that have ever changed in their performance at all. I have 4 M Audio interfaces and the 2 presonus ones. Knock wood but they never change. The M Audio 3 are from 2008 they are pretty vintage gear now, and still work wonderfully last time I used them (2022). Just trying to say I can't comprehend your magnet issue with your interface. Did you test it in another locale? You said you don't want help so I digress. I just don't understand the idea of an interface losing reliability. I never seen that.
by PreAl on Thu May 18, 2023 5:00 pm
It's RF. Been though the motions. If the new interface has the same issue it's going back.

by Tacman7 on Thu May 18, 2023 7:04 pm
If you have RF problems you might look into a power filter. I setup my room where one leg of service had the lights on it and the other had the equipment. When I was turning the room into a studio I ran a separate ground wire to every equipment outlet. Seemed like a waste of wire but it was something I read at the time.

Have you tried these? Some things came with these but never thought about adding them to everything...
Clip-on Noise Filter, VSKEY [10pcs 13mm] Anti-interference High-Frequency Ferrite Core Choke

Forum Moderator.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by PreAl on Thu May 18, 2023 8:37 pm
Check my first post. I've done pretty much everything within budget constraints and I'm convinced it's the interface . Thunderbolt cable arrives tomorrow, hum suppressor next week. Fingers crossed! I hope My new interface isn't faulty (see video).

by PreAl on Fri May 19, 2023 10:13 am
Well the crackling has gone.
Firmware is updated and I've got a drum machine into the 3rd input port and I can hear it fine.
RF issues, well no comment yet!

On my Saffire Pro 40 I had optical inputs, with one of these optical inputs I plugged to my motherboard internal audio interface (from its optical out).

I tried to recreate the same scenario replacing the Saffire with the Quantum 2626 (using the optical in port, tried both), however there is no audio coming in whatsoever into Studio one or Universal Control. Please don't tell me the optics are for ADAT only?

Thx...

42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3