4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys!
Although I tend to use the same colors for a couple of standard Tracks like Drums and Bass, I'm pretty random when picking colors for other tracks, guitars, Instruments, Midi, Keys and Vocals etc.
Do you have a standard Track Color "Template" that you tend to use to keep things orderly?
I seem to recall that Joe Gilder discussed this some while back but, I haven't been able to locate where that might have been! :(
Thanks in advance

Presonus Studio One 6 Pro (always the latest update!) Presonus Sphere Member, Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2.Ai. Too many Waves Plugins. Melodyne 5 Pro, EZ Drummer 2, EZ Keys, Active Drummer, Active Keys. Notion 6. Ozone 10. Ozone Suite including RX 10 etc.
Owner: Footloose Recording Studios. NSW. Australia
by garyshepherd on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:33 am
Most have their own favourites - not sure there is an industry standard - just do a Google search for DAW Instrument Color template - people online all have their own templates. Mine is:

Guitars - Electric - All shades of Green
Acoustic Guitars - Yellow
Vocals - Light Pink
Drums - Blue
Bass - Dark Brown
Piano - Medium Pink
Elec Piano - Light Red
Organ - Dark Pink
Brass - Light Brown
Synth - Medium Purple
Mellotron - Violet

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by stefanrauch1 on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:18 am
FMN Colors.png
This color-set usually is sufficient for stuff that I do (generic music production and live recording). I also sort the tracks as they are listed here, so all projects kinda look the same and I always know where to look for certain tracks in a project. With a good naming- and color-scheme there is no need to fill real estate with pictures.

examples:

Kick (K)
Snare (S)
Clap (CL)
Hihats (H, HH)
Toms (T)
Overheads (OH)
Percussions (PRC)
Bass (BS E, BS A, BS SY, 808)
Guitars (GTR)
Keys/Piano (KBD, PNO)
Synths (SY)
Pads (PD)
Strings (STR, STRG, VLN, VLA, CLO, ...)
Horns (SX, TP, TB, CLN, FLT, ...)
Orchestra (ORCH)
Samples (SMP, SMPL)
Vocals (VX)
BVocals (BVX)
Sound Effects (SFX)
Atmos Textures (AT, TX)
Effect Returns (FX, VRB, DLY, ...)
Groups/Busses (GRP, BUS)

The first letters in capitals is the abbreviation of the instrument or instrument-group and after that then something descriptive or specific [K in, K out, K Atk, K Sub...]
This abbreviation scheme works great with the "conform"-feature of color tool bar (up to version 2.73) ..after that they screwed with the conform logic so that it is not usable with abbreviations anymore.
phpBB [video]

OS: Win10 x64 || Software: Studio One Pro [latest version]
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X || Asus Prime X570-PRO || 64GB DDR4 RAM || Asus Dual-RTX2070S-A8G-EVO || UAD2 Octo & Duo PCIe
Peripherals: RME Fireface UFX II (+2x ADA8200) || Faderport Legacy || Atom || NI Komplete Kontrol A25
Audio Settings: 44,1/48kHz, 256 Samples, DP Off, 64 Bit
by kaygeeeff on Sat May 27, 2023 1:33 am
Thanks Guys!
I do need to tidy up my Tracks screen and these will really help!
Thanks again!

Presonus Studio One 6 Pro (always the latest update!) Presonus Sphere Member, Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2.Ai. Too many Waves Plugins. Melodyne 5 Pro, EZ Drummer 2, EZ Keys, Active Drummer, Active Keys. Notion 6. Ozone 10. Ozone Suite including RX 10 etc.
Owner: Footloose Recording Studios. NSW. Australia

4 posts
Page 1 of 1