3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to control parameters in plugins with rotary encoders. Not potentiometers with a defined upper and lower limit, but an encoder that sends incremental values to increase and decrease.

I can establish a link. Studio one sees the incoming CC message and I can assign it to a plugin. But instead of incrementing and decrementing the value of the plugin it just snaps to whatever the incoming CC message value is.

I have control of of what value the encoder sends. I've tried 0 and 127, 63 and 64, but the both result in the knob jumping to the value instead of incrementing. Control link must be capable of accepting incremental values, yes? So many controllers use them. So what do I send or what should I tell control link about my controller to get this working?

Side question: When I check off "transmit value" should I be seeing an outgoing message from studio one to the midi controller? I'm doing this on 4.6.2

Mac OS 10.12
2008 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz
32 Gb ram
by Tacman7 on Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:04 am
This is a midi controller you bought or are building?

There is a decrement and increment event in midi but it has a complex usage.

I would open the midi monitor in S1 and watch what comes out of your controller.

That's what your controller is sending out so the results you are seeing are probably what they should be.

I have some controllers with endless encoders, have to see if I can get one out and see what it puts out or can put out.

They usually are adjustable, some massively so, like Bome or Midi Solutions.

Good to put your specs in your signature click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by bjosephs on Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Thanks for the reply Tacman7.

I’m building it. I’m dangerously close to finishing a DIY DAW controller that I started almost a decade ago. I couldn’t get HUI or MCU based plugin control working so I’m just setting the hardware up to switch to a midi control surface when I want to tweak plugins.

I’m in control of the message and I am monitoring what actually gets there. I know what you mean by complex given that the increment and decrement base values can be a few different things before considering acceleration/sensitivity preferences - no industry standards to rely on. But like I said above I tried everything I could think of and it seem S1 is disinterested in all of them.

In the time since my post I got the transmit function working (you have to turn off midi learn for the message to start flowing) and I’m now using the endless encoders like absolute by reading in the status from S1, inc/dec it in my software, and send an absolute value back out when I move a knob. It performs as I had wanted to achieve with incremental messages and it was a good lesson because this method has allowed me to get my moving faders to respond as well.

Mac OS 10.12
2008 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz
32 Gb ram

3 posts
Page 1 of 1