7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all: I have been hesitant to upgrade from S1-5 to S1-6 until now since I will be teaching a course locally to people that will have to download version 6 as a demo. I need to know how to use it. So, I will purchase the upgrade in the next couple of days.

My question is, can I install S1-6 on an External SSD via a USB-3 connection and have it run properly? If I do that how would I tell the new version 6 to use the plugins that I already have such as Native Instruments, Kontakt, VST2 and VST3? If I do that, will that make is so that my current version 5 loses access to those plugins? I am so confused as to how to proceed here so any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dell Latitude E6530, 16 GB Ram, Two 1-TB SSD
Windows 10/64
Novation LaunchKey 49 USB Keyboard
Studio One 6.5.2.97444 Win x64
by SwitchBack on Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:22 pm
AFAIK you get to install S1 on a system (a computer including its attached drives). During installation you can change the default location to where you want it. Installing S1v6 does not remove S1v5 components from your system if you don't it want to. The two versions can live side by side.

Once installed you have to tell S1v6 where it can find additional sound sets, plug-ins and instrument libraries on your system, by adding those directories to S1v6's Location preferences. Then restart and that should do it.
by alfredohuerta on Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:50 am
Is this answer applicable to both PC and Mac computers?

Windows 10/64
by Tacman7 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 am
alfredohuerta wrote can I install S1-6 on an External SSD via a USB-3 connection and have it run properly?

That should work, it depends on a lot of things. Mainly your processing power and speed of the drive.

Programs are small, data and resources take up the space.

Resources can be shared between different installations.

Like my songs are on an external drive that can be switched between pc and mac so either S1 installation could access the same data but not at the same time.

Sample libraries are perfect for external drives and can be shared by any installation of S1 that has access to it. Not sure about accessing resources over a network, might work. Just setup one drive for the class. I remember a computer lab that tried flash drives for the computers then every machine had to download and install Windows every morning. What could go wrong?

It used to be I was not able to run programs on external drives because they were too slow or timing or something, didn't work. I don't know about now, I've heard you can do that now.
So if you're able to install it and get it running then I would say you're able to.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by PreAl on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:37 am
I would says it's far more preferable to install your major apps and OS on one primary internal drive (ideally SSD, even better PCI m2) and data on another drive whether it be external or not. Apps on your internal drive will give you a much faster and smoother experience. I wouldn't dream of putting apps on an external drive unless they were utilities or mini apps, but there are use cases. If the external drive gets disconnected things can get hairy.

Separate your apps and your data, keep your apps and OS on the fastest drive, your primary drive. If your external data drive is too slow find other solutions, thunderbolt comes to mind, but then you could put in another internal SSD.(if it's possible)..

If your internal drive is too small, buy another (fastest one you can) clone it, install that as your primary drive and use the other as spare for data.(wipe it afterwards). If you buy a hard drive enclosure you could use it externally if you really need to, but if your laptop has space for more drives that's the better option.

This link may help...

Nimitz 2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy Adapter for Dell E6430 E6530 E6420 E6520 E6320 E6330 Modular Bay with Ejector https://amzn.eu/d/fkaxcVv

Also consider a new laptop.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by alfredohuerta on Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:09 pm
Okay, so I upgraded from S1-5 pro S1-6 Pro and decided to just place it on my C: drive since I still have a little room. However, I am having trouble getting the new version 6 out of the demo mode. Luckily version 6 appears to have recognized everything from version 5 so it seems to be working even though it is in demo mode. Now, I hope that the demo keeps working while I teach my 1-month course then everything will be OK. Hopefully I can get version 6 working in the Pro mode (not demo mode) soon.

Thanks for all your comments.

Windows 10/64
by Blame Karma on Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:09 am
An overview: you can install different versions of S1 on the same PC or Mac. If there is a version difference, such as v5 and v6, you can just follow the default installation procedure.
If you want 2 sub versions within the same version, such as 6.0.2 and 6.1.0, you will need to change the path in Windows ("rename Studio One 6" to "Studio One 6.1" for example.
On Mac, you can rename the old or new app bundle and have them both in the applications folder, or drag the new one to any other location.
Same version generations will use the same settings data. New versions will import the former generation settings data on first start.

Mac Mini M1 / Ryzen 1700X - W10 / Sphere / 1810c / Apollo Twin

7 posts
Page 1 of 1