3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is it possible to route the output (audio, not MIDI) of a VST on an instrument track (e.g. Kontakt, Serum, etc.) to a VST on a different instrument track (e.g. Hyperion)?

I'm trying to use Hyperion as FX processor. Hyperion has a node which accepts audio input, and it can then then process that audio through various effects and output the resulting audio. The node tree would look something like this:
Code: Select all
AUDIO IN -> ...fx... -> FX AUDIO OUT

This is an instrument track hosting the Hyperion VST, but it needs to receive audio (not MIDI) from another track.

Here's how it works in other DAW's:

In Reaper you can insert instruments in a chain on the same track, so Hyperion can be used as FX processor directly for another plugin. In Ableton, Logic, and Bitwig the plugin has a sidechain option to pull audio from another track. In Ableton you can use one of the send buses as a sidechain input (pre or post FX) which is one way to send from multiple other tracks.

However, I'm struggling to do this in Studio One. Given an existing instrument track (e.g. hosting Phase Plant), I can't add Hyperion as an insert effect (because it's an instrument, not an effect). I also can't add it as a second instrument in a chain since you can only combine instruments in parallel. And I also don't have the sidechain option in Hyperion (like a gate or compressor effect for instance), so I can't "pull" the audio from the other instrument track.

I've tried to use busses but even though I can send audio to a bus, I can't set the input of an instrument track to the output of the bus (one is audio, one is MIDI). I've tried using the splitter in the channel editor, but while you can use the splitter to run effects in series, instruments can only be combined in parallel, so this doesn't work like the instrument chain in Reaper.

It feels like this should be simple to do and I'm just overcomplicating things, so I'd be grateful for any enlightenment.

Studio One 6 Pro (Sphere), Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 2950X, 128 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB NVME SSD, NI Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's, NI Komplete Kontrol M32, NI Komplete Audio 2, Melodyne 5 Studio
by Vocalpoint on Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:47 pm
petedejager wroteIt feels like this should be simple to do and I'm just overcomplicating things, so I'd be grateful for any enlightenment.

Not that I know of in "arrange view".

Off the top - I would simply Transform to Audio and then insert Hyperion on the resulting (new) audio channel but even that won't work unless Hyperion is an actual insert effect - which it does not appear to be.

You 100% certain that Hyperion does not appear under FX as well in S1? I have several NI plugs and others that have a instrument component AND an FX component - like FM 8 for instance.

This would be the same as me saying I want to send audio to Omnisphere or any other VST Instrument I have - pretty sure this is not possible in S1 but others may have more creative ways to work this.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by petedejager on Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:46 pm
You 100% certain that Hyperion does not appear under FX as well in S1? I have several NI plugs and others that have a instrument component AND an FX component - like FM 8 for instance.

Yes, unfortunately I'm sure :). I also have NI instruments (like Reaktor, FM8, Absynth, etc.) which are available as both instrument and FX, but this is not the case with Hyperion.

Studio One 6 Pro (Sphere), Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 2950X, 128 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB NVME SSD, NI Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's, NI Komplete Kontrol M32, NI Komplete Audio 2, Melodyne 5 Studio

3 posts
Page 1 of 1