4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All,
I have two Sigmas that I'm using midi to control. MCU seems to duplicate channels 1-8 on channels 9-16 and 17-24 on channels 25-32. The workaround is to use midi directly.

I have created 2 external instruments and created 32 tracks (16 each) to address the Sigma's 32 channels. This works fine. However...

Rather than mix using the tracks I would like to have a fader for each track control midi CC volume messages Is this possible?

Thanks

Win 10,
CPU: Intel 13900k, MB: Z790, Storage: 6tb M2 4tb SSD, Ram: 32gb, 3 UAD cards, RME MadiFX and daughter card
Peripherals: 3 Antelope Orions, 2 SSL Sigmas, Dangerous 2buss LT, 2 Bettermaker EQs, Keys on USB: Sub 37, Pro 3, Hydrasynth, Behringer Arp2600, Cobalt8m
Various outboard processors connected in line.
Software: Studio One, Cubase, many soft synths, sample libraries, and plug-ins.
by Tacman7 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:01 am
Welcome to the Forum!

So you want a control surface or you have one? I'm not familiar with your hardware.

In S1 you don't control the volume of a track using cc #7 which would lower the volume of the audio inside the plugin synth.

We control the audio slider with automation. If you have hardware that needs cc7 you shouldn't have any problem finding a control surface to send that.

Problem with using cc7 on plugins is they are not very linear and they change between synths. Audio much better.

But if you're using hardware that controls the mixing and you're just telling it what to do with cc7 that should work fine.

I used to have a surface with 17 sliders, all volume just different channels and a master.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by stevenrose2 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:43 pm
Thanks for the response. Sorry I was not clear. Please bear with me as this is complicated to explain. See if this helps...

I don't have or want a control surface. The SSL sigmas are not a control surface. They are summing boxes controlled by midi messages coming out of a DAW, much as you would control a hardware synth from your DAW. As I described, I technically have this working in S1 now... sort of... its the best I could do with my limited knowledge of S1.

What I'm asking is this: Is there a way to tie S1 console faders to an external instrument track so I can affect the CC7 levels in it. This would allow me to mix from S1's console and not from the tracks.

I can automate the tracks to get the desired effect but it would be so much better if I could control the CC7 values from S1 console faders rather than each individual external instrument track.

Note that I'm coming from Cubase which has stopped supporting my outboard EQs controlled over usb. This was a significant investment and S1 works exactly as it should with the EQs. However Cubase has a feature that allows me to make a midi fader. This is what used to use.

Also note that I'm not married to my solution. The base requirement is this: I need to use 32 S1 console faders to send CC7 data for 32 channels in two banks of 16. 1-16 over one midi port and 17-32 over another. These midi messages must be delivered through midi over IP and S1 can already see these ports. As I said, I have most of this working, just not the S1 fader part.

All suggestions a most welcome. I'm stumped.

Win 10,
CPU: Intel 13900k, MB: Z790, Storage: 6tb M2 4tb SSD, Ram: 32gb, 3 UAD cards, RME MadiFX and daughter card
Peripherals: 3 Antelope Orions, 2 SSL Sigmas, Dangerous 2buss LT, 2 Bettermaker EQs, Keys on USB: Sub 37, Pro 3, Hydrasynth, Behringer Arp2600, Cobalt8m
Various outboard processors connected in line.
Software: Studio One, Cubase, many soft synths, sample libraries, and plug-ins.
by tommyfinke on Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:26 am
stevenrose2 wroteThanks for the response. Sorry I was not clear. Please bear with me as this is complicated to explain. See if this helps...

I don't have or want a control surface. The SSL sigmas are not a control surface. They are summing boxes controlled by midi messages coming out of a DAW, much as you would control a hardware synth from your DAW. As I described, I technically have this working in S1 now... sort of... its the best I could do with my limited knowledge of S1.

What I'm asking is this: Is there a way to tie S1 console faders to an external instrument track so I can affect the CC7 levels in it. This would allow me to mix from S1's console and not from the tracks.

I can automate the tracks to get the desired effect but it would be so much better if I could control the CC7 values from S1 console faders rather than each individual external instrument track.

Note that I'm coming from Cubase which has stopped supporting my outboard EQs controlled over usb. This was a significant investment and S1 works exactly as it should with the EQs. However Cubase has a feature that allows me to make a midi fader. This is what used to use.

Also note that I'm not married to my solution. The base requirement is this: I need to use 32 S1 console faders to send CC7 data for 32 channels in two banks of 16. 1-16 over one midi port and 17-32 over another. These midi messages must be delivered through midi over IP and S1 can already see these ports. As I said, I have most of this working, just not the S1 fader part.

All suggestions a most welcome. I'm stumped.

Hi, I totally get what you want but the mixing console in Studio One is not designed to do that and there is no way to make this work without a control surface which you could then midi map to your Sigmas. I am using a Neve 8816 and after all invested in the fader extension which can be recalled through another piece of software.

I suggest you make a feature request at answers.PreSonus.com for a midi fader scenario.
I would certainly support it. Important thing would be to have those channels available in the console.

Songwriter, composer, theatre guy. :punk:

MacBook Pro 14' 2023
OS X Ventura
M2 Max 64gb

Studio One 6
Notion 6
HUB
Faderport 8
Studio 1810
SL III 32SC, EarMix 16, NSB 16.8
Revelator iO24
Eris 4.5 BT

UAD apollo 8, MOTU 828 mkII, RME Babyface Pro, MOTU 24AO

Ableton Live 8-11, Nuendo 12, Avid Pro Tools, Bitwig Studio 1.3.14, Reaper, Melodyne Studio, Reason 11.3d36

4 posts
Page 1 of 1