11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I'm trying to up my S1 sample game, primarily using samples to load into Impact and trigger them via midi notes in specific tracks.

However, often i want to change the pitch of a sample, but when using the "pitch" knob in Impact the length of the sample also changes. Likewise, if i want to speed up a sample, the pitch goes with it, so to speak. I know this is a very classic issue (and the solution is probably also very simple), but what's you guys' preferred way to change pitch without changing length and/or speeding up with changing pitch?

Thanks so much - the help in this forum is invaluable for novices like myself :)
by Tacman7 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:12 am
Don't think I've ever really gotten into SampleOne.

Recently bought some loops and used impact as a way to audition them while the song is playing and to place them in the song using midi notes.

I was thinking you would pitch the samples when you get to impact.

A note can only be stretched a certain amount before creating artifacts.

So some who were sampling a piano say would take a sample every 5 keys or something then each sample could be pitched to cover the keys between the samples.

You could take a sample and put it in a track and try timestretching so keep the length the same before repitching.

Sounds like the road to perdition though.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by jensbjering on Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:59 am
Tacman7 wroteDon't think I've ever really gotten into SampleOne.

Recently bought some loops and used impact as a way to audition them while the song is playing and to place them in the song using midi notes.

I was thinking you would pitch the samples when you get to impact.

A note can only be stretched a certain amount before creating artifacts.

So some who were sampling a piano say would take a sample every 5 keys or something then each sample could be pitched to cover the keys between the samples.

You could take a sample and put it in a track and try timestretching so keep the length the same before repitching.

Sounds like the road to perdition though.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Thanks for your reply, Tacman! I wasn't referring to Sample One, but to Studio One :) Doesn't sound as easy as I hoped for -- I'll keep looking for solutions!

(also, thanks about the heads up re signature -- not much to brag about, but i'll add what I have :))
by Tacman7 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:21 am
Sorry my bad.

Never the less, I gave you the wrong impression. Main thing is impact really easy to get going on, drag and drop your sample on the pad you want, or take a bunch and drop them and they will be distributed. Once there the sample can be trimmed, re pitched and other things.

Look through some vids:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... one+impact

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by jensbjering on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:05 am
Tacman7 wroteSorry my bad.

Never the less, I gave you the wrong impression. Main thing is impact really easy to get going on, drag and drop your sample on the pad you want, or take a bunch and drop them and they will be distributed. Once there the sample can be trimmed, re pitched and other things.

Look through some vids:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... one+impact

No worries! And I really do love Impact (especially paired with my Atom), but i just cannot find an easy fix for this particular issue, i.e. having a sample that i want to repitch upwards/downwards without shortening/lengthening it :(
by Tacman7 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:40 am
Ok, you need to use the Follow Tempo Button, that keeps it from getting longer or shorter.

ImpactFollowTempo.jpg

Forum Moderator.

by SwitchBack on Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:22 pm
You can simply transpose and tune events from the Inspector. You may have to move the splits between the Inspector sections to see all options in the bottom section.
event inspector.png
by jensbjering on Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:24 pm
Tacman7 wroteOk, you need to use the Follow Tempo Button, that keeps it from getting longer or shorter.

ImpactFollowTempo.jpg

Thanks tacman - problem with that solution is that it changes the sample from the get-go, so to speak. What I want to is to be able to load a sample in impact and not have it align with the track tempo and then repitch it without chaning its length :)
by Tacman7 on Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:00 pm
Did you try it?

It's not following anything in the track, it's following the song tempo.

That's how the pitch stays the same. It re pitches it but keeps the length of the tempo you're at.

Where the sample plays in the song depends on where you put the midi note to trigger the sample.

Forum Moderator.

by jensbjering on Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:23 pm
Tacman7 wroteDid you try it?

It's not following anything in the track, it's following the song tempo.

That's how the pitch stays the same. It re pitches it but keeps the length of the tempo you're at.

Where the sample plays in the song depends on where you put the midi note to trigger the sample.

Yes, I did try it - and it immediately changes the sample to match song tempo, which is not what i want. What i want is simply to be able to repitch a sample in impact (or elsewhere in S1) without shortening or lengthening it.
by Tacman7 on Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:38 pm
I never took the time to learn this before.

When I drop a sample that has a tempo of 144 on a pad in Impact, I can't tell the difference of playing with follow tempo on or off.

My song is running at 80bpm.

According to the manual it should sound different right?

---
Follow Tempo Enable this option to automatically timestretch the current sample to fit the tempo of the Song.
---

When I repitch there's a difference, the samples take longer or shorter with follow off.

Forum Moderator.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1