91 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
soupiraille wrotePreSonus knows that. Hence my suspicion of them not knowing they were dropping some OS version compatibility.

Can’t be sure though, just an hypothesis.

I have no doubt they know. The installer has to be programmed to check, post a message, and exit if the OS version doesn't match the minimum requirement. It is a simple string check - very simple to include.

S1's installer is programmed to force you to upgrade your OS to update Studio One. Studio One v5 did the same thing with Windows 8 at the time. Win8 ran great with Nuendo, Cubase, DP, ProTools, and every related plugin an app. Only Studio One refused to install, just as it does with 6.1 and Win10 prior to 20H1. It is programmed into the installer.

It is an artificial limitation - probably a way for Presonus to cut costs by weeding out users that might contact support or post here. Most likely, S1 would run fine not only on earlier Win10 installs, but Win8 as well (since there was no audio-related change from 8 to 10 - just secondary security garbage added).

A less confidence inspiring theory is that Studio One may also be chasing minor OS updates for development reasons. It's their choice, but those of us making a living with these applications know that updating every time there is an OS update is just asking for lost income, and clients. It isn't just the DAW, but drivers, plugins, peripheral apps, Eucon, Pace, etc that must be considered with every OS change, even minor changes.
by graytermedia on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:38 am
garyanderson5 wroteIf people think it's unrealistic maby they should take notes from Steinberg who know how to support people properly

As a Nuendo user, I completely disagree. The eLicenser transition was extremely painful for those who bought the Absolute bundle. If you purchased their VI's separately, you were moved to the front of the line for updates. However, if you spent several hundred dollars on the all-inclusive package, you had to wait because Steinberg views it differently - even though it's comprised of all of the (updated) individual elements.

Steinberg is only slightly better than Avid in my eyes, and Presonus support are downright saints by comparison. Of course, YMMV...

But back on topic...

tg
Last edited by graytermedia on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by Vocalpoint on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:43 am
graytermedia wroteAs a Nuendo user, I completely disagree. The eLicenser transition was extremely painful for those who bought the Absolute bundle.

+1

If this crowd would have been exposed to the recent eLicenser transition in just the tiniest way - they would know what real pain is. I only have one Steinberg product and it was a complete disaster.

Those guys are in a class by themselves when it comes to taking a perfectly good working install and rendering it completely unusable.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by graytermedia on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:51 am
Vocalpoint wrote
graytermedia wroteAs a Nuendo user, I completely disagree. The eLicenser transition was extremely painful for those who bought the Absolute bundle.

+1

If this crowd would have been exposed to the recent eLicenser transition in just the tiniest way - they would know what real pain is. I only have one Steinberg product and it was a complete disaster.

Those guys are in a class by themselves when it comes to taking a perfectly good working install and rendering it completely unusable.

VP

Exactly. Between the eLicenser and my daily iLok/Avid adventures, Studio One is a walk in the park to use and their customer service is extremely responsive.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by soupiraille on Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:08 pm
kdm wrote
soupiraille wrotePreSonus knows that. Hence my suspicion of them not knowing they were dropping some OS version compatibility.

I have no doubt they know. The installer has to be programmed to check, post a message, and exit if the OS version doesn't match the minimum requirement. It is a simple string check - very simple to include.

S1's installer is programmed to force you to upgrade your OS to update Studio One.

S1’s installer embeds other installers, like the MSVC runtime library, so that’s not necessarily a message programmed by PreSonus themselves.
by PreAl on Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:14 pm
I upgraded to Win11. Guess what's Saffire Pro 40 is not supported and is not supposed to work

Yet it works fine, but then I'm using Apple thunderbolt 3 to FireWire 400 adapter cables, that's probably why.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jih64 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:10 pm
Well I updated my Windows 10 Pro test machine (the one in my sig) from 1909 to 21H2 yesterday, no problems apart from having to re-authorize 2Notes WOS, not really a problem and will likely have to re-auth 1 or 2 more, I'll deal with any if and when they arise. Apart from that everything works fine, if anything it feels a little 'snappier' done a quick run through and all my settings seem to be as they were.

I'll do everything on the test machine until the end of the week and then if all is well I'll update the others and install S1 6.1 to them. I'm pretty confident everything will be fine, actually think I could update them now, but I'll wait, at least a couple of days, maybe tomorrow :lol: Then lock them all down again until next time.

I didn't allow Windows update to touch my drivers.

For every Arthur C Clarke quoter, there is a know-all who likes to quote Arthur C Clarke
- unknown
by TonalDynamics on Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:02 pm
jih64 wroteWell I updated my Windows 10 Pro test machine (the one in my sig) from 1909 to 21H2 yesterday, no problems apart from having to re-authorize 2Notes WOS, not really a problem and will likely have to re-auth 1 or 2 more, I'll deal with any if and when they arise. Apart from that everything works fine, if anything it feels a little 'snappier' done a quick run through and all my settings seem to be as they were.

I'll do everything on the test machine until the end of the week and then if all is well I'll update the others and install S1 6.1 to them. I'm pretty confident everything will be fine, actually think I could update them now, but I'll wait, at least a couple of days, maybe tomorrow :lol: Then lock them all down again until next time.

Interesting, update in place right, so just running the ISO installer from inside a copy of your existing 1909? I'm on 1809 and am looking at the same process sometime down the road -- please keep me informed about how things run once you've had a chance to properly observe!

P.S. How much software do you have on your machine? Cause my OS image is just over 120 GB / loaded with the creative softwares I listed in an earlier post in this thread.

Cheers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Composer for Media, Producer, Noodler.

System Specs:

Studio One Professional v6.5

Windows 10 LTSC 21H2, i9 10850k, 128gb RAM, 6 TB SSD+6 TB HDD, RME Fireface 800
by kdm on Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:06 am
soupiraille wrote
kdm wrote

S1's installer is programmed to force you to upgrade your OS to update Studio One.

S1’s installer embeds other installers, like the MSVC runtime library, so that’s not necessarily a message programmed by PreSonus themselves.

A lot of installers run MSVC runtime (esp. plugins), and I've never seen one bail on an older OS, much less an older version of a current OS. Presonus' installer quits immediately - well before it would launch the MSVC installer, or anything else. It isn't a Microsoft error message either.

For comparison, the latest version of Fabfilter plugins still supports all the way back to Vista, and have had an advanced scalable GUI for years, so obviously there is no graphics, audio or streaming API/compatibility requirement, and Fabfilter are excellent, efficient and highly used plugins.

No need to blame it on Microsoft - they couldn't care less what we try to install. This is on Presonus. It's their choice, and if it doesn't work for us as customers, we don't have to use their products.

To be fair to all, Apple and Microsoft aren't interested in nor are they making it easy on any of us, customers or developers. Unless we have enough downtime, we have to put our clients and day to day reliability first, not updates, no matter how obsessed MS and Apple are with releasing them.
by PreAl on Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:39 am
That's a lot of dancing around to get at the (clearly preferred) wrong cherry picked conclusion right there.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by garyanderson5 on Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:31 am
My 980 pro's just turned up and rather than deal with this i am just going to build a fresh system. I really can't be bothered to mess on for one app update. The time i spend on this i could build a fresh system and slim down on some of my unused software and plugins i have amassed over the years. It gives me time to dial the system in as a side project. This one can stay as is for now. I can use WIN11 on this if i want so for me i don't see any point in staying on 10 moving forward.

I was planning on a new system anyway, this has just pushed the scedule up a bit by a few months. It's not the end of the world for me personally. I would much rather take stock reset and move on with some future proofing before someone else comes up the bright idea of removing support and forces you to update on something you can't update further.

Some info i looked into.

"Microsoft will retire the Windows 10 operating system on October 10, 2025. It's the first time the company puts an expiration date on its current operating system, paving the way for its successor, Windows 11"

"Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025"

I believe Enterprise and LTSC is a bit longer. I wouldn't be surprised if company's are already making moves if they have a 1-2 year life cycle with their software products. Looking forward after this experience there is no guarantee Studio One 7 or anyone else will support WIN10 after Windows ditch support. It could generate a message stating you need WIN11 installed with 7.1 update. They did it once already and we are living in the update culture times after all. Obviously i am putting myself first here and you have to in reality as there is no guarantees with anything. All you can do is plan ahead to the best of your abilty's.

This is not enough of a life cycle for me personally being at the mercy of Windows, everyone else and the potential problems they can cause over the next couple of years. My trusty system works like a trooper so i can live without 6.1. I will jump back onboard further down the road once i get 11 on a new system. It's far to early with 6.1 IMO because the hype train is still full steam ahead as usual. Give it a few weeks or months for people to actually use 6.1 for work as issue's could could crop up. It usually does with software after people dig down into their regular workflow and find something is off.

All the above is what i consider variables to factor in with my decisions for a trouble free working DAW with some future proofing. It's upto others what they do and i am in no way nocking them for their choices.

Peace all :thumbup:

Windows Pro 11 22H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 2X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 2TB, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by PreAl on Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:57 am
garyanderson5 wroteMy 980
Some info i looked into.

"Microsoft will retire the Windows 10 operating system on October 10, 2025. It's the first time the company puts an expiration date on its current operating system, paving the way for its successor, Windows 11"

"Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025"

I already posted this earlier in this thread which gives the specific info.

PreAl wroteYup, and don't expect vendors to support OS's that M$ doesn't support.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifec ... me-and-pro

by TonalDynamics on Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:44 pm
PreAl wroteI already posted this earlier in this thread which gives the specific info.

Yup, and don't expect vendors to support OS's that M$ doesn't support.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifec ... me-and-pro

Just to reiterate, what Presonus have done here isn't merely dropping OS support, but rather OS compatibility, which is a critical distinction and you can't conflate the two.

The former is often done to keep tight customer service/troubleshooting resources manageable, the latter is a far rarer and more delicate path taken by software companies, by several orders of magnitude.

PreAl wroteThat's a lot of dancing around to get at the (clearly preferred) wrong cherry picked conclusion right there.

Hmm, well he makes some good points... how about you address one of them instead of posting vacuous one-liners like this which contribute nothing?

Post quality > Post count. :+1

To echo what kdm said, blaming the installer instead of Presonus for the OS version check seems like a very weak argument and highly unlikely scenario.

System Specs:

by PreAl on Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:01 pm
PreAl wroteThat's a lot of dancing around to get at the (clearly preferred) wrong cherry picked conclusion right there.

TonalDynamics wroteHmm, well he makes some good points... how about you address one of them instead of posting vacuous one-liners like this which contribute nothing?

Post quality > Post count. :+1

To echo what kdm said, blaming the installer instead of Presonus for the OS version check seems like a very weak argument and highly unlikely scenario.

It's much easier for me to write a one liner, then write whole paragraphs of speculative waffle around speculative waffle. Waste of time for me sorry, I get what he says about installers but I don't get his conclusions in this pointless public enquiry about who is to blame.

BTW seriously don't care about my post count, nobody here gives a damn about it and why should I. I would change my mind if it was converted into cash. Otherwise if Presonus is watching, could they reduce my worthless post count to say a 100 and give the rest to TonalDynamics or anybody else who wants it.

by kdm on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:59 pm
PreAl wrote
It's much easier for me to write a one liner, then write whole paragraphs of speculative waffle around speculative waffle. Waste of time for me sorry, I get what he says about installers but I don't get his conclusions in this pointless public enquiry about who is to blame.

If you don't understand the conclusion, or don't understand why updates are a risk for professionals in the industry, that's fine, but don't waste our time posting snide remarks.
I don't come here often because I don't have time to spend on forums, especially ones littered with opinionated, uninformed posts like yours.
by PreAl on Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:15 pm
Oh I do understand your conclusion, but it's very much speculation, hardly watertight argument or a smoking gun, and regardless what's done is done, there are.obvious solutions out of it and I don't see any point in a blame game.

And nobody is forcing anybody to update.to 6.1.0 straight away. No clued up professional worried about stability would upgrade to 6.1.0 immediately, especially in a middle of a project, they would wait for further stability updates first, and the idea that the OS should never be updated from time to time, whilst at the same time almost immediately updating applications running on the OS as they are released, is somehow a perfect stability and reliability scenario is ludicrous, and shows a fundamental misunderstanding on how software is tested (which is almost always done on the latest patched platform) and how software dependencies work.

Like I said earlier, if you don't like updating just take your machine offline and don't update anything ever again. Some people call that "pro" (that's not for me). Job done.

by jih64 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:25 am
TonalDynamics wrote
jih64 wroteWell I updated my Windows 10 Pro test machine (the one in my sig) from 1909 to 21H2 yesterday, no problems apart from having to re-authorize 2Notes WOS, not really a problem and will likely have to re-auth 1 or 2 more, I'll deal with any if and when they arise. Apart from that everything works fine, if anything it feels a little 'snappier' done a quick run through and all my settings seem to be as they were.

Interesting, update in place right, so just running the ISO installer from inside a copy of your existing 1909? I'm on 1809 and am looking at the same process sometime down the road -- please keep me informed about how things run once you've had a chance to properly observe!

P.S. How much software do you have on your machine? Cause my OS image is just over 120 GB / loaded with the creative softwares I listed in an earlier post in this thread.

Cheers!

No, I may have said it wrong, I did the update from 1909 to 21H2 via Windows update.
I originally done an 'in place' update/upgrade whatever, from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on all my machines bar 1, from there on all updates have been done via Windows Update, but at my choosing, like now I am locked down again and won't update again until I choose. I wouldn't have updated from 1909 except for Studio One 6.1

My latest System Drive Image was 337GB it only contains music recording/production related stuff, no sample files for VSTi's or anything like that, that all has it's own drives.

For every Arthur C Clarke quoter, there is a know-all who likes to quote Arthur C Clarke
- unknown
by Vocalpoint on Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:50 am
PreAl wrote the idea that the OS should never be updated from time to time, whilst at the same time almost immediately updating applications running on the OS as they are released, is somehow a perfect stability and reliability scenario is ludicrous, and shows a fundamental misunderstanding on how software is tested (which is almost always done on the latest patched platform) and how software dependencies work.

This is the best summation I have read in this entire thread. As was PreAl's bang on logical statement that no one is being forced to do anything or update anything - ever.

For anyone who did get tripped up on this (and I get it - totally annoying) - you are still whole. Exactly nothing has changed. The only truly minor thing you cannot do is upgrade to 6.1 right now. No one has been wronged and most certainly not "penalized" by Presonus.

Presonus has their reasons for requiring Windows 10 20H1 (or greater) - none of which needs to be explained OR justified to any of us quite frankly. By the same token - all users have their own reasons to not update their software OR to not use a current version of Windows 10. That too does not need to be understood, explained OR justified to anyone.

Both scenarios are valid and both are fair.

However - it is on each user to decide whether they want to operate in parallel with a Studio One release cycle (hang back) or make any required changes and join in (move forward).

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by TonalDynamics on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:30 am
Vocalpoint wrote
PreAl wrote the idea that the OS should never be updated from time to time, whilst at the same time almost immediately updating applications running on the OS as they are released, is somehow a perfect stability and reliability scenario is ludicrous, and shows a fundamental misunderstanding on how software is tested (which is almost always done on the latest patched platform) and how software dependencies work.

This is the best summation I have read in this entire thread.

Except that it's an apples and oranges comparison, because it's far simpler -- and in my case far more technically feasible -- to start using/testing new app revisions than it is to install large OS feature updates (in my case LTSC cannot be updated via the traditional Windows update, so I'm stuck with the tedious 'update in place' method which involves cloning my BOOT drive, running the 2021 ISO installer while booted into 1809 and praying nothing gets broken).

E.g., it's beyond simple to start testing 6.1, and if there are issues merely revert back to 6.0.2 while they figure stuff out, because all the songs and files are backwards compatible within whole versions of S1.

OS updates, OTOH, are notoriously risky from Microsoft:

I had a laptop back in '18 which was essentially broken by the dreaded 'Creator's Update' for W10, which I attempted to troubleshoot off and on for weeks until I realized that the hardware had simply been rendered incompatible with the Creator's update... it essentially broke half my system drivers, among them the mouse pointer software itself, causing my on-screen cursor to hitch and freeze every other second (about as enjoyable as it sounds!).

So the net result was I couldn't really get any writing/tracking done in my mobile DAW for a few months, until I had enough and just wiped the SSD and replaced it with a version of LTSC, after which things ran as smooth as they had pre creator's update... I never did get the update to work with that machine despite countless speculative fixes and driver updates.

It's experiencing events like this over the years that have caused users like Gary, kdm and myself to find solid working versions of Windows and stick with it, because as a professional you simply can't afford the risk of such downtime.

But updating to a new 'dot' version of a DAW is virtually risk-free, for the reasons I laid out above; super easy to experiment and takes practically no time to simply revert back to the previous version while huge OS upgrades (which often seem to work fine at first glance) have the potential to snowball into a nightmarish timesink.

Vocalpoint wroteThe only truly minor thing you cannot do is upgrade to 6.1 right now. No one has been wronged and most certainly not "penalized" by Presonus.

Speak for yourself, I want to use the new color palette and per-album project page mastering levels!

I'm currently paying for updates I cannot use with Sphere, just to keep 6.0.2 active. Gaslighting people into thinking they are 'still whole' and 'haven't been wronged' while they are denied equal access to the software is sycophantic nonsense.
Vocalpoint wrotePresonus has their reasons for requiring Windows 10 20H1 (or greater) - none of which needs to be explained OR justified to any of us quite frankly

This is such a bad take. For the tenth time, if Presonus are going to choose the path of dropping OS compatibility (not support), then they owe the users advanced notice so that we can plan ahead, and modify our upgrade roadmap/s accordingly.

TD
Last edited by TonalDynamics on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

System Specs:

by TonalDynamics on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:45 am
jih64 wroteNo, I may have said it wrong, I did the update from 1909 to 21H2 via Windows update.
I originally done an 'in place' update/upgrade whatever, from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on all my machines bar 1, from there on all updates have been done via Windows Update, but at my choosing, like now I am locked down again and won't update again until I choose. I wouldn't have updated from 1909 except for Studio One 6.1

My latest System Drive Image was 337GB it only contains music recording/production related stuff, no sample files for VSTi's or anything like that, that all has it's own drives.

Interesting... I thought it was impossible to upgrade LTSC from within Windows Update itself (a quick search seems to confirm this)? Did it just offer you the option somehow or did you have the ISO for 2021 downloaded perhaps and it detected it?

If I could find some way to just use WinUpdate instead of in-place I'd probably try it out as soon as my new NVMe gets here, but no luck so far in discovering such a method!

System Specs:

91 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5