91 postsPage 3 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Vocalpoint wrote
garyanderson5 wroteHas anyone even received an email from Presonus about WIN11 and it's safe to use? That's my point we have had zero communication at all and i ain't no beta tester.

No one is asking/forcing/demanding any of us to be a beta tester (me for certain)

I work in a large dev shop and one of the things I have learned over many years is if a specific OS is clearly stated as "supported" within the official published system specs for an app - then I instantly have reasonable faith that the OS has been QA'd and is fully supported.

For S1 v6 - this is very clearly stated on the Presonus site:

2023-03-23_07-55-20.png

I have also learned (without question) that it is on the user to determine whether what they are running back in the shop - is compatible to what's on offer. AKA - does my environment line up with the published specs for this app?

If any of us are expecting Presonus (or any vendor) to hold our hands and gently remind us (Via email) what OS are supported - prepare to be disappointed.

I know that this burns you - but a quick look on the Presonus site at 9:00am yesterday (pre 6.1 announcement) could have easily saved you a ton of time and effort here.

VP

That has just been updated unless your accusing me of doctoring the image? Where do you think i got the image from at the time i made the post? Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:45 am. Someone obviously took note and updated it. It's called damage limitation. Come on what do you think i am. I don't have to cover my backside here i did nothing wrong other than report an issue. I didn't drop people in the s**** with an update and suddenly correct my sales page when someone complained about it.

Stop trying to make excuses for Presonus and making honest people look bad.

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by Vocalpoint on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:58 am
garyanderson5 wrote That has just been updated unless your accusing me of doctoring the image?

Apologies Gary - I just noted your original page 2 - probably should have looked a bit closer.

Did not realize the image was "doctored".

VP
Last edited by Vocalpoint on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by PreAl on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:59 am
Popcorn time.
Are we done now?

Probably could have upgraded to Win 11 by now.
Sorry but I've been reading these kind of threads for decades and they always get old quite fast. The choices are there to deal with.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by garyanderson5 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:02 am
Vocalpoint wrote
garyanderson5 wrote That has just been updated unless your accusing me of doctoring the image?

Apologies Gary - did not realize the image was "doctored" and I am accusing no one of anything.

And I did not see your original either.

VP

Np VP. Honestly i took a snippet right at the time i made the post i have no reason to lie. Sorry if i flew off the handle. Anyway i am going to draw a line under it because it's not you guy's fault and i know your trying to help. It's all good.

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by garyanderson5 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:02 am
PreAl wrotePopcorn time.
Are we done now?

Probably could have upgraded to Win 11 by now.
Sorry but I've been reading these kind of threads for decades and they always get old quite fast. The choices are there to deal with.

Shush you :)

by TonalDynamics on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:04 am
Vocalpoint wroteWell - I would be very happy if you deleted these posts because exactly none of this endless ranting will matter. And I am guessing you also will not get a special installer either.

Thankfully, you don't work for Presonus and your assessment of the value of these complaints is meaningless to me.

There are many S1 users who are suddenly unable to update their software without warning, and you digging in your heels and defending the way Presonus handled this only shows your lack of concern for those users, despite claims to the contrary.

It is both my civic duty and right as a long-time customer to complain about unusable software and decisions which I deem to be poor development practices.

soupiraille wroteIt looks like a couple of people here mistake OS support with OS compatibility… Which leads to lots of trolling and uneducated fanboyism. Don’t fight with those guys, just make your point and move on!

^ @Vocalpoint: You liked this post, but I don't think he was making the point you thought he was making...

What soup is saying is that although it's common for a developer not to 'support' certain versions of an OS, it is a far more radical step to refuse compatibility with entire OS versions, which is what Presonus have done here.

Virtually no software company does this, for the precise reason of avoiding the type of fallout found within this thread.

That's why the 2-dozen + creative apps I listed earlier all work with 1809 just fine. This release is the exception to standard software practices, not the norm.

Vocalpoint wrote I know that this burns you - but a quick look on the Presonus site at 9:00am yesterday (pre 6.1 announcement) could have easily saved you a ton of time and effort here.

So updating the new OS requirements the day of release is somehow sufficient warning? By all means, please explain how this would have saved me, Gary or any other affected user any time or effort whatsoever.

Vocalpoint wroteBe thankful that you managed to use it for this long.

Lol, no, that's not how this works. I'm a paying customer and have used S1 since 2010 in some form or another, using the software is not a privilege, it's a business contract between me and Presonus.

Before you predictably throw a bunch of EULA legalese at me, I'll clarify that from where I'm standing, Presonus misstep in this case is not a legal, but an ethical one:

My main point:
Users like me and G.A. deserved some kind of warning this would happen.

Blame Karma wroteI prefer one boot drive, but I clone to a new SSD if I need to upgrade the OS. Then I try out whether it works stable and does not show a notable performance drop. Then I commit.
So far, I never needed extra licenses nor did I ever return to a previous installation.

Indeed, as of right now, this is my best option if I want to keep getting S1 updates...

With my VL, I have the option of upgrading to 2021 LTSC (in place), but the time these sorts of things take has a tendency to snowball.

I'm going to have to buy a new SSD, install it, clone over, run benchmarks, test all my daily driver software for issues... and pray that everything works properly. In other words, big massive chunk of time I need to plan ahead for.

I just wish I had a heads-up. I don't think that's too much to ask from Presonus here, despite several users in this thread who will not even admit as much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Composer for Media, Producer, Noodler.

System Specs:

Studio One Professional v6.5

Windows 10 LTSC 21H2, i9 10850k, 128gb RAM, 6 TB SSD+6 TB HDD, RME Fireface 800
by Vocalpoint on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:19 am
TonalDynamics wroteI just wish I had a heads-up. I don't think that's too much to ask from Presonus here, despite several users in this thread who will not even admit as much.

Well - now clearly you do have a heads up. It's only been one day since 6.1 became available.

You can either move forward or stay back. Your call.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by TonalDynamics on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:37 am
Vocalpoint wrote
TonalDynamics wroteI just wish I had a heads-up. I don't think that's too much to ask from Presonus here, despite several users in this thread who will not even admit as much.

Well - now clearly you do have a heads up. You can either move forward or stay back. Your call.

VP

Heads up, as in, several months my guy...

I get it, you're not the one who has to retroactively go and copy paste non backwards-compatible song stems/MIDI from 6.0 to 5.5, so you're not as maldy over it as I am; understandable.

Gary said Steinberg gave him advanced notice for Cubase compatibility, why should Presonus be let off the hook for failing to do the same for us? An email, forum post, a one-minute clip from their very active Youtube channel... nothing.

You even pointed out that they scrambled to revise the min. OS edition on the product page within 24 hours of this post being made, which as Gary said is just damage control at this point because they realize they dropped the ball.

Like I said I wouldn't be so quick to underestimate the number of users affected by this... but you're right in that we've said just about all there is to say.

It's tough, but I've huffed and puffed enough.
Had to air my discontent, now I'm off to lament.

Might experiment with cloning to another SSD and updating in place to 2021 in a few months, might cancel Sphere, who knows.

Bon Voyage

System Specs:

by soupiraille on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:59 am
I’ve edited my previous post to make it clearer. There’s indeed an ambiguity coming from the word ‘support’ itself.

Besides that, there is something which may have quite likely happened: PreSonus themselves may have not been aware that they’ve changed compatibility — hence the silence around that (even in the release notes) and the last minute website update.

Dropping an OS version support (or compatibility, I should more correctly say) is a delicate thing. If you probe professionals, a vast majority of them do not update their OS very often, because they’re professionals and they can’t afford relying on ‘fluke’. OS update time is a dedicated time, planned in advance, and rigorous testing happen upon updating.

When you’re a hobbyist, or even a professional for whom music is not its main revenue, it’s ok to take the step of updating your OS as updates are released. But when you’re a professional living out of music and having your DAW as your main tool, OS updating is a delicate thing.

PreSonus knows that. Hence my suspicion of them not knowing they were dropping some OS version compatibility.

Can’t be sure though, just an hypothesis.
by Vocalpoint on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:12 pm
soupiraille wroteBesides that, there is something which may have quite likely happened: PreSonus themselves may have not been aware that they’ve changed compatibility — hence the silence around that (even in the release notes) and the last minute website update.

My guess is even simpler than that. Presonus may have simply not even had any Windows 10 versions in the Q&A pipeline that went as far back as 1909 or 1809 (I mean why would they?) to test against and may have never known about (or seen) this message during testing.

The fact that they quickly updated the web graphics and no mention of this is in the release notes - to me - indicate an unplanned oversight not caught in testing.

It's software - anything is possible.

VP

by garyanderson5 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:16 pm
TonalDynamics wrote
Vocalpoint wrote

Well - now clearly you do have a heads up. You can either move forward or stay back. Your call.

VP

Heads up, as in, several months my guy...

I get it, you're not the one who has to retroactively go and copy paste non backwards-compatible song stems/MIDI from 6.0 to 5.5, so you're not as maldy over it as I am; understandable.

Gary said Steinberg gave him advanced notice for Cubase compatibility, why should Presonus be let off the hook for failing to do the same for us? An email, forum post, a one-minute clip from their very active Youtube channel... nothing.

You even pointed out that they scrambled to revise the min. OS edition on the product page within 24 hours of this post being made, which as Gary said is just damage control at this point because they realize they dropped the ball.

Like I said I wouldn't be so quick to underestimate the number of users affected by this... but you're right in that we've said just about all there is to say.

It's tough, but I've huffed and puffed enough.
Had to air my discontent, now I'm off to lament.

Might experiment with cloning to another SSD and updating in place to 2021 in a few months, might cancel Sphere, who knows.

Bon Voyage

I just ordered a 980 pro for the exact same reason. I will get to it when i can or just use it in my next build. :)

by graytermedia on Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:27 pm
As a mac user, I read all of this and shrugged my shoulders. Apple updates their OS every 9 to 14 months and developers have to scramble to keep up. Some do (Presonus, Cockos and Apple themselves, because... Logic), some don't (Avid), while most fall somewhere in the middle (Steinberg and a plethora of plugin developers).

Every few years one of the above cannot be updated due to a recent OS update. I have two choices - gather knowledge, bear down, update and asses the fallout - OR - lock the machine down.

I currently have an old iMac and MacBook Pro locked down for those reasons, while my Mac Studio gets every update Apple issues - almost every update - I'm still on Monterey. I have Pro Tools and Ventura running successfully on the Mac Studio at the office, so an update at home is eminent.

We can argue the lack of Presonus notification all day, but as a mac user, I know OS updates are coming. I can deal with it or not. At the end of the day, it's a fact of life on my chosen platform. I can roll with it or get out.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by TonalDynamics on Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:01 pm
graytermedia wroteWe can argue the lack of Presonus notification all day, but as a mac user, I know OS updates are coming. I can deal with it or not. At the end of the day, it's a fact of life on my chosen platform. I can roll with it or get out.

tg

I appreciate your point, but tbf I believe the mac incompatibilities due to updates are more to do with processing architecture changes than optional featuresets of OS iterations, no?

i.e., 99% of 'non-supported' W10 software will still run on most versions of Windows.

With MAC this isn't true because the hardware changes so damn often, that software is just incompatible with even fairly recent platforms.

You could actually just argue that OS longevity is more or less a point that goes in favor of Windows when we're talking the ages-old 'pros n' cons' of WvsM.

System Specs:

by garyanderson5 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:21 am
graytermedia wroteAs a mac user, I read all of this and shrugged my shoulders. Apple updates their OS every 9 to 14 months and developers have to scramble to keep up. Some do (Presonus, Cockos and Apple themselves, because... Logic), some don't (Avid), while most fall somewhere in the middle (Steinberg and a plethora of plugin developers).

Every few years one of the above cannot be updated due to a recent OS update. I have two choices - gather knowledge, bear down, update and asses the fallout - OR - lock the machine down.

I currently have an old iMac and MacBook Pro locked down for those reasons, while my Mac Studio gets every update Apple issues - almost every update - I'm still on Monterey. I have Pro Tools and Ventura running successfully on the Mac Studio at the office, so an update at home is eminent.

We can argue the lack of Presonus notification all day, but as a mac user, I know OS updates are coming. I can deal with it or not. At the end of the day, it's a fact of life on my chosen platform. I can roll with it or get out.

tg

Is it my fault i didn't update Windows, yep and i hold my hands up to that one but i think one problem app in 5 years is a pretty good track record for any DAW build that has all it's software upto date apart from the OS and a few drivers. If i update Windows i am pretty sure i will get another couple of trouble free years out of it and still have the ability to run the latest software updates, regardless of people making bold statements you should update your OS and Drivers all the time.

I built a 13900k system for a friend last week. His old system was a phenom 6 core 1090T. I know ancient right :) He has had everything upto date including a newer version of Windows than i use and his system was 100% working just tired and old. Cubase 12 along with a MB driver forced the issue so he had no choice but upgrade. Out dated hardware not his OS. He has used Cubase for 20+ years. That's 13 years till he was forced by his DAW software to change due to lack of support on an ancient 12-13 years old PC.. Just take that in compaired to the point of this post i made.

Where talking about One app and an OS version here not a caved in or out dated system at the mercy of forced updates by a platform vender or vendor's. If people think it's unrealistic maby they should take notes from Steinberg who know how to support people properly or at least let them try and use the App at their own risk and state it's at your own risk.

by PreAl on Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:07 am
I'll probably buy V6 today, but I'll be using the latest 6.0.x release or waiting for 6.1.1 or 6.1.2. Brand new features means it's most likely there were be brand new bugs that will need to be ironed out. A "x.0.0" release is generally the one that has the most issues, that goes with most applications developed under agile processes, it's by design. Stability matters most to me and rushing into an upgrade isn't necessarily good for my existing projects.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Vocalpoint on Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:00 am
PreAl wroteI'll probably buy V6 today, but I'll be using the latest 6.0.x release or waiting for 6.1.1 or 6.1.2. Brand new features means it's most likely there were be brand new bugs that will need to be ironed out.

Stability is my primary driver as well - but I went for 6.1 this time after several months of waffling on other releases.

6.1 has been flawless so far and I will be really giving it a hard workover this weekend - but for me - the biggest issues (if there are any) usually occur in that 6.0.0 release and then things get tight from there.

The 6.1 upgrade was in dev for over 3 months which is a long time for Presonus - so I am confident this one will be solid straight away - but I will be watching the board intently for any outlier issues.

VP

by PreAl on Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:51 am
Decent feedback on the latest release generally takes 2-3 weeks in these forums. Two days out in the field is way too early to get a feel for it, I'm not going to assume anything other than there are always new bugs with new releases, the question is how bad are they.

I've worked in QA, it's a limited resource, and high in complexity, it doesn't matter how much time you spend testing, customers will inevitably find some issue that's been overlooked once realised. I'll wait.

by BobF on Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:48 am
Since I know I'm going to upgrade anyway, I upgrade right away and install to a different directory. This offers the opportunity to discover for myself what glitches might happen in *my* use, while continuing *real* work in the prior version/release.

The only caution is saving ... don't save the only copy in the new version in case you want to go back, or if you are continuing current work in the prior version/release before switching.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Daw Stew on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:47 am
For those that are considering upgrading to the latest W10 i would advise that you check the Microsoft website and your audio interface manufacturers site to ensure the audio driver supports the latest W10 release. In my case this was Windows 10 22H2.
Unfortunately following upgrade from 1909 has now rendered my PC unable to detect my Thunderbolt audio interface so i have no sound. i've lost 6 hours troubleshooting and still no closer to getting a reconnection between Windows and the Focursrite Clarett 8pre.
by Vocalpoint on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:01 am
Daw Stew wroteFor those that are considering upgrading to the latest W10 i would advise that you check the Microsoft website and your audio interface manufacturers site to ensure the audio driver supports the latest W10 release.

Agreed - anyone who attempts a long range "in-place" upgrade from say 1809 or 1909 and goes all the way up to 22H2 - should really consider doing a bit of study AND gathering the latest hardware driver installers BEFORE allowing Windows 10 to upgrade overtop of itself.

This type of upgrade is generally reasonable from 20H2->21H2->22H2 since those "feature" updates were nothing more than "enablement" packages with a very small file payload. But moving from something like 1809 (which was literally almost 5 years ago - Sept 2018) should be attempted cautiously.

There is no way MS could possibly test scenarios like guaranteeing a third party DAW's sound card drivers will escape unscathed after a good chunk of the OS, registry and who knows what else is replaced during an in-place upgrade.

I know there is no one in here that wants to hear this - but if it was me on 1809 and I had to upgrade to 22H2 - I would backup the entire DAW and start clean onto an empty SSD and commit to a full rebuild.

And yes - I get it. The time this takes can be drastically different than an in-place upgrade - however the mysterious pitfalls and issues are literally zero. I have never had any driver issues starting clean since I started building PCs in the mid 90's.

My last clean DAW build - from an empty SSD to a full running version of S1 (with plugins) took approx 1.5hrs. 4.5 hours less than your troubleshooting has already taken.

I have a very low tolerance on these things - if I even begin to slightly sense that troubleshooting some weird issue will take more time than it would to wipe a drive and start over - I do not even hesitate.

t's definitely not for everyone but it works.

VP
Last edited by Vocalpoint on Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

91 postsPage 3 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5