27 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Lokeyfly wrote
FaveDave wroteI have been in the business here in Los Angeles for decades, and I have NEVER been in a studio or post production facility that used Windows. Never.

The main reason: stability. Macs are more stable. If you run a Windows machine, you better like to tinker with it and drill down into the settings. I'd rather spend time making music than running antivirus software and figuring out how to stop Windows from updating whenever the hell it wanted!

BTW, I've built a dozen PCs and know them well. That's why I use a Mac to get work done. Macs are not perfect and have their own issues, just not as many as Windows. If a new OS came out tomorrow that was better than Mac or Windows, I would switch in a heartbeat -- I have zero brand loyalty.

Well, on the music front, you are 100% correct. I have been attending AES conventions since the mid 70's. Upon the creation of the Mac, and not long after, basically from Digidesign on, Pro Tools and Mac's have been 99.95% of every show the AES has put on. That's hundreds of computers at every event. No exceptions. This includes broadcasting, recording studios, and production houses. That is still going on today. However, it is not due to reliability. That last card was used years ago. In the music professional end of the industry, Apple prevailed on industry standard norms. Not reliability. So please don't sell anyone on Macs being more reliable today. That tide has changed. Both platforms are as far as reliability goes, are very much dependent on the user, choice of hardware and best practices. In other words, they're equal.
True the Apple software has more streamlined conventions and simply plays nicer from 3rd party support. PC's with ASIO drivers and such are quite tight, though one will always hear the exception when users are gaming, doodling, drawing, and whatever is not realistically efficient for their business, or serious priority. It's not about the platform or architecture, which is really quite even.
I've built way too many systems here as well (including UNIX mainframes for a company I worked for). I won't bore anyone with all the Apple breakdowns users had, or the Apple stores with lines out the door, with helpless mouths open saying "feed me...... feed me".
There's two side to every story. I don't buy the reliability over another claim.
Absolutely. In Germany for example, the public broadcasters mainly work on PCs - at least the ones where I was involved with and as far as I could judge. Other sectors like realtime 3D playout for live shows, trade show presentations, live TV, cruise ships, projection mapping etc is all Windows. And that really is high performance mission critical stuff for a live public.

Anyway, enough of the Mac vs PC, choose whatever works best for you.

Mac Mini M1 / Ryzen 1700X - W10 / Sphere / 1810c / Apollo Twin
by j0001s on Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 pm
Blame Karma wroteWell, you can filter the native plug-ins when installing, Lindell plugs are all native I think.
Note that some plug-ins indeed are not native, such as Metric AB, which I love.

Unfortunately, PA Lindell installs are NOT native. Testers have said that they've been good to go for some time. This is a major drag for me, as I really like their channel strips.

Apparently, if you reach out to the Metric AB developer (easy to find him on Gearspace), he'll give you access to a native version.
by tremo on Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:00 pm
j0001s wrote
Blame Karma wroteWell, you can filter the native plug-ins when installing, Lindell plugs are all native I think.
Note that some plug-ins indeed are not native, such as Metric AB, which I love.

Unfortunately, PA Lindell installs are NOT native. Testers have said that they've been good to go for some time. This is a major drag for me, as I really like their channel strips.

Apparently, if you reach out to the Metric AB developer (easy to find him on Gearspace), he'll give you access to a native version.

It's true that if you use the PA installation manager to install your Lindell plugins, you get non-Silicon native versions. But I discovered last week that if you go to your Plugin Alliance account page and download the individual Lindell installers from there, the versions installed ARE native. There was no announcement of this, I just tried it for the heck of it, and it worked.

Studio One 6.5.1 | Live 11 | Logic 10.8
Mac Studio Max | 14.2 | 32GB
MOTU 828es | Presonus Studio 1824c | MOTU M4 | UAD Quad Satellite
by j0001s on Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:41 pm
tremo wroteIt's true that if you use the PA installation manager to install your Lindell plugins, you get non-Silicon native versions. But I discovered last week that if you go to your Plugin Alliance account page and download the individual Lindell installers from there, the versions installed ARE native. There was no announcement of this, I just tried it for the heck of it, and it worked.

Cool. Thanks!
by philangus on Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:18 am
I checked compatibility mode with iZotope plugins as I have their suite, but for some it states put the Mac in Rosetta mode? What does that mean exactly? Does it impede performance? I also think I may wait til they release the new M2 Studio. I’m in no rush with this. I could even research the latest PC specs (i9 etc). I have used PCs and been an IT manager for about 35 years (since the early DOS days) so feel more comfortable with them, but I’m also into photography so quite like the idea of a powerful Mac with a nice 4K display with Photoshop etc. Overall, the physical size appeals too.

One other question, is there an advantage with a Mac using VST 3 in Rosetta mode against running native with AU? Is AU simply the Mac VST equivalent and is it as good or as reliable? I’ve never really been a Mac user, but have used iPhones and iPads for years so know their eco system, but when it comes to Mac OS, apart from setting up the odd network connection for a director, I know zilch!
by Tacman7 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:45 am
philangus wrote I know zilch!

That was what I was saying about what I know about macs even though I bought one and got it to work. That doesn't mean I know it like PC but knowing how computers work I was able to get it working, once I'm in S1 everything works like you'd expect.

I was only able to get it working with a lot of help from MacRumors forum.

My take on the situation:
So Rosetta is an additional block of code (an emulator) so it makes it possible for the mac to run code written for Intel chips. The most efficient way to work is to stay all native(code written for M1 and M2) and not run Rosetta.

I had to enable extensions for a UAD interface. Can't upgrade to Ventura because of this.
I don't know why, Ventura not going to allow 3rd party extensions?
There was some other reasons not to upgrade to current OS, plugin compatibility?
Waves, they advise not to upgrade.
I don't know that I need to upgrade, things working good now.

I use UAD plugins along with VST3 and AU and haven't seen any problems but I'm not doing a lot, mainly tracking.

New to me:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097CJMY9M
Looks interesting...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by tpittman on Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:56 pm
Tacman7 wrote
philangus wrote I know zilch!

That was what I was saying about what I know about macs even though I bought one and got it to work. That doesn't mean I know it like PC but knowing how computers work I was able to get it working, once I'm in S1 everything works like you'd expect.

I was only able to get it working with a lot of help from MacRumors forum.

My take on the situation:
So Rosetta is an additional block of code (an emulator) so it makes it possible for the mac to run code written for Intel chips. The most efficient way to work is to stay all native(code written for M1 and M2) and not run Rosetta.

I had to enable extensions for a UAD interface. Can't upgrade to Ventura because of this.
I don't know why, Ventura not going to allow 3rd party extensions?
There was some other reasons not to upgrade to current OS, plugin compatibility?
Waves, they advise not to upgrade.
I don't know that I need to upgrade, things working good now.

I use UAD plugins along with VST3 and AU and haven't seen any problems but I'm not doing a lot, mainly tracking.

New to me:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097CJMY9M
Looks interesting...

Yes, these hubs are great. the added storage space and ports is great. The Mac Mini sits right on it very nice. What I did was remove the bottom plastic plate from Mac Mini, then put that bottom plate on bottom of hub. I then took some double sided tape and stuck the Mac Mine bottom to top of hub. Very nice, very compact unit if you want to use like that. I have no doubt there are other ways to set up the 2 units since my is an older unit. My hub added 4 terabyte of storage and plenty of added ports

Studio One Pro 6.5.2 Mac mini Monterey OS Midas 32 Board / Interface

27 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2