9 posts
Page 1 of 1
The input gain of an instrument track changes with record enabled or not. I adjust the input gain level while it is record enabled and monitoring. Then after it is recorded and monitoring/record disabled, the gain is different.

DAW: Studio One Professional 6.5
by Tacman7 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:18 pm
Guess I'm not following you.

Input gain on an instrument track is different than input gain on an audio track.

It wouldn't really change the midi you send to it, it's more of a volume control for the plugin, both live and recorded.

I would use it if I couldn't get the instrument loud enough to hear.

I can't hear or see any difference when I toggle record enable while it's playing.

Input gain is in the mixer or channel editor, the track slider only effects monitor levels.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by waltong on Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:58 pm
Tacman7 wroteGuess I'm not following you.

Input gain on an instrument track is different than input gain on an audio track.

It wouldn't really change the midi you send to it, it's more of a volume control for the plugin, both live and recorded.

I would use it if I couldn't get the instrument loud enough to hear.

I can't hear or see any difference when I toggle record enable while it's playing.

Input gain is in the mixer or channel editor, the track slider only effects monitor levels.

Yes I'm talking about the Input Gain on the channel itself. I use that as a universal gain staging knob. Whether it is an instrument or audio channel the knob functions as a gain trim first-in-line. There is a difference when the instrument channel is record enabled and monitoring. I can't understand why and how to avoid this discrepancy.

I don't want to hop back and forth between the VST volume parameters to adjust the gain staging. I want to use the gain knob on the channel to rinse and repeat, set and forget, as a workflow approach.

Makes no sense why the input gain setting that is adjusted during monitoring is different after the instrument part is played back with record monitoring turned off.

by Robdp on Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:29 pm
I've had this exact thing for the longest time... ( over 2 years) but lived with it because I thought it was something to do with "z" green latency mode...

Imagine if it was a bug this whole time :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Explaining it in further detail....

Lets say I have a blank session... I load an instrument .. say Kontakt with a piano..

If I'm recording something.. ( Input monitoring and record buttons enabled) the volume is at a certain level...
But as soon as I take it out of input monitoring/rec for simple playback, it is much louder and I have to bring the fader down..

(As I mentioned, I've been dealing with this for years and thought it was something to do with me having "Green Z" on....?

Producer/writer
Mac Studio Ultra - OSX 11.2 - Studio One v5 - Apollo x8 - Dangerous Convert 2 / AD+ - SSL Fusion - Neve 8816 - LLD Silver Bullet - Dangerous Monitor ST - Faderport 1 - Console One - Amphions /BareFoots
by waltong on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:59 am
Robdp wroteI've had this exact thing for the longest time... ( over 2 years) but lived with it because I thought it was something to do with "z" green latency mode...

Lets say I have a blank session... I load an instrument .. say Kontakt with a piano..

If I'm recording something.. ( Input monitoring and record buttons enabled) the volume is at a certain level...
But as soon as I take it out of input monitoring/rec for simple playback, it is much louder and I have to bring the fader down..

(As I mentioned, I've been dealing with this for years and thought it was something to do with me having "Green Z" on....?

Unfortunately it is beginning to look like this may be a longstanding bug. I am exploring it further with Tech Support and will post the description of steps to duplicate here;

Low Latency Monitoring for instruments is turned on.

The VST on the instrument track is registering 1.0 ms in Performance Monitoring.

When I toggle LLM for instruments and the Dropout Protection is engaged, that's when the gain on the Monitoring enabled track decreases.

When toggling LLM off and/or dis-engaging Dropout Protection, the gain on the Monitoring enabled track will be brought back up to the accurate level.

I can confirm that the gain hitting the level meter on the Master bus is unaffected and constant between both scenarios I just described. What I'm describing only seems to affect the output on that specific track through my Speakers and is not being represented at the Master Bus level meter.

by waltong on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:00 pm
waltong wrote
Robdp wroteI've had this exact thing for the longest time... ( over 2 years) but lived with it because I thought it was something to do with "z" green latency mode...

Unfortunately it is beginning to look like this may be a longstanding bug. I am exploring it further with Tech Support and will post the description of steps to duplicate here;

Low Latency Monitoring for instruments is turned on.

The VST on the instrument track is registering 1.0 ms in Performance Monitoring.

When I toggle LLM for instruments and the Dropout Protection is engaged, that's when the gain on the Monitoring enabled track decreases.

When toggling LLM off and/or dis-engaging Dropout Protection, the gain on the Monitoring enabled track will be brought back up to the accurate level.

I can confirm that the gain hitting the level meter on the Master bus is unaffected and constant between both scenarios I just described. What I'm describing only seems to affect the output on that specific track through my Speakers and is not being represented at the Master Bus level meter.

Correction, the master bus does reflect the Gain disparity.

Here is the result of troubleshooting with Tech Support:

Input Gain knob is at issue when Green Z monitoring is active. If it is turned down, then the monitoring level is much lower than it is once monitoring is off.

The opposite behavior is the case for if the Input Gain is turned up. The monitoring level will be much louder than the non-monitored level.

There is no consistency with the Input Gain level control while in Green Z monitoring.

by Robdp on Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:55 pm
So they've acknowledged that this is a bug or a feature???? Shouldn't perform like this at all.

Producer/writer
Mac Studio Ultra - OSX 11.2 - Studio One v5 - Apollo x8 - Dangerous Convert 2 / AD+ - SSL Fusion - Neve 8816 - LLD Silver Bullet - Dangerous Monitor ST - Faderport 1 - Console One - Amphions /BareFoots
by Robdp on Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:13 am
Revisiting this to see if OP got a solution???

Should I flag this again with Tech support as I've been dealing with this for YEARS now..

Producer/writer
by SwitchBack on Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:49 am
I think I have a fairly simple solution: Do not use monitoring (the blue button) when recording unless you know exactly what it does. Also disable 'Monitoring follows record' in the options so you don't forget.

Monitoring adds an extra path from input(s) to your monitoring output. This path doesn't exist during normal playback and, depending on various settings, can make your listen output louder or quieter than during normal playback. Correct behaviour but it can be very confusing ;)

9 posts
Page 1 of 1