6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I set up external synths following this video, but AUX inputs do not have Green Z button (Low Latency Monitoring button).

What the hell is going on here?

A. Am I making a stupid mistake?
or
B. Has this function itself been left half-finished and unfinished for years?

phpBB [video]
by aobi on Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:09 pm
Nothing has changed with 6.1.

Is this considered to be a normal behavior? I'm very confused.
by Tacman7 on Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:30 pm
I don't understand. Does the video show what you're talking about? What time does it show it?

I don't see any green buttons anytime and my latency is 6.2ms because I leave drop out protection on minimum.

That and single precision processing.

So I manage my own processing. If I put a really heavy instrument in and it starts taking up too much processing, I bounce it to audio and disable the instrument. I'm back in business. I only work with a dozen tracks so I can do that.
Some people use a lot of tracks. Drop out protection is made for them, from manual:

Automatic Dropout Protection
When you are working with a large amount of audio tracks and virtual instruments, computer performance can limit your capabilities. You can increase the amount of buffer to help free up computer resources, but this traditionally comes at the cost of greater latency (or delay) when monitoring audio inputs or playing virtual instruments. Set the buffer too low, and audio dropouts and glitches can occur.

To remedy this, Studio One features Audio Dropout Protection and an advanced Native Low-Latency Monitoring system. Under this system, the tasks of audio playback and monitoring of audio inputs and virtual instruments are handled as separate processes. This, in effect, lets you use a large processing buffer to handle heavy audio playback and effects processing tasks, while keeping latency low for audio input and virtual instrument monitoring.
--------------------

External instruments have a set latency, however long it takes for the signal to go out then come back.

You get that process as low as it can go and that's about it.

The green button manages processing by disabling things to reduce processing, which wouldn't help external instruments.

Some things could still benefit from a zero latency interface, like you send audio out and it gets processed then you monitor it from the interface and saves the return trip time. You would still record it on a track but you wouldn't monitor that, you would monitor your interface which would be a little quicker. I needed to have a S/Pdif connection to be quick enough for live guitar, that works good.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by aobi on Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:40 am
Tacman7 wroteI don't understand. Does the video show what you're talking about? What time does it show it?

I don't see any green buttons anytime and my latency is 6.2ms because I leave drop out protection on minimum.

That and single precision processing.

So I manage my own processing. If I put a really heavy instrument in and it starts taking up too much processing, I bounce it to audio and disable the instrument. I'm back in business. I only work with a dozen tracks so I can do that.
Some people use a lot of tracks. Drop out protection is made for them, from manual:

Automatic Dropout Protection
When you are working with a large amount of audio tracks and virtual instruments, computer performance can limit your capabilities. You can increase the amount of buffer to help free up computer resources, but this traditionally comes at the cost of greater latency (or delay) when monitoring audio inputs or playing virtual instruments. Set the buffer too low, and audio dropouts and glitches can occur.

To remedy this, Studio One features Audio Dropout Protection and an advanced Native Low-Latency Monitoring system. Under this system, the tasks of audio playback and monitoring of audio inputs and virtual instruments are handled as separate processes. This, in effect, lets you use a large processing buffer to handle heavy audio playback and effects processing tasks, while keeping latency low for audio input and virtual instrument monitoring.
--------------------

External instruments have a set latency, however long it takes for the signal to go out then come back.

You get that process as low as it can go and that's about it.

The green button manages processing by disabling things to reduce processing, which wouldn't help external instruments.

Some things could still benefit from a zero latency interface, like you send audio out and it gets processed then you monitor it from the interface and saves the return trip time. You would still record it on a track but you wouldn't monitor that, you would monitor your interface which would be a little quicker. I needed to have a S/Pdif connection to be quick enough for live guitar, that works good.

It seems that there are some misunderstandings, but first of all, I am talking about external synthesizers, not plugin synthesizers.

If you set the session protection to the maximum, where a large number of plugins are already in use, and connect the external synthesizer as shown in this video, you should be able to understand the meaning of what I am saying.

The "z" on the input works, but it is completely incomprehensible that there is no button for "z" on the AUX. Anyone would think that if AUX is designed that way, the input should be launched instead of AUX every time an external synthesizer is launched.
by SwitchBack on Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:05 am
Maybe it's simply impossible to achieve low latency when external instruments are involved.

Low latency is achieved by bringing down avoidable delays to a minimum in order to suffer the least from the unavoidable delays. Hardware interfacing is a main contributor of unavoidable delays. When there's additional hardware (and therefor interfacing) in the mix then that adds unavoidable delay. In that case it doesn't help to process parallel 'in the box' channels faster because the output has to arrive at the mixing stage in sync with the slower 'hardware' channels. The slowest horse sets the pace.
by aobi on Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:40 am
SwitchBack wroteMaybe it's simply impossible to achieve low latency when external instruments are involved.

Low latency is achieved by bringing down avoidable delays to a minimum in order to suffer the least from the unavoidable delays. Hardware interfacing is a main contributor of unavoidable delays. When there's additional hardware (and therefor interfacing) in the mix then that adds unavoidable delay. In that case it doesn't help to process parallel 'in the box' channels faster because the output has to arrive at the mixing stage in sync with the slower 'hardware' channels. The slowest horse sets the pace.

If you connect your instrument to a regular audio channel input instead of the AUX input, there won't be any latency issues if you use the Z button. So, this problem is not due to a physical limitation, but rather it will be easily solved by automatically launching the regular audio channel when launching the external instrument or by adding the Z button to the AUX input.

The question is why it's not currently like that, and it's difficult to understand for me... Do you know the reason why it's not?

6 posts
Page 1 of 1