8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a song that is plenty loud, but when I export stems they are quiet. If I understand the manual correctly, exporting stems should be the same as soloing each channel. What could I be doing wrong?

StudioOne Professional (Sphere) w/ PreSonus 1824c
Recording Drums with 7 mic inputs
Computer: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core, MSI-7390A Pro, 32 GB DDR4-2666, Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card
by Tacman7 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:06 am
When I get a track that I can't hear and is low I will normalize it or if it's an instrument add a compressor or preamp but I do something so I hear the track. It's not like the old days, you don't have to print stuff hot.
So I've not noticed a difference in track levels since I don't look, might be a correlation.
A lot of what you hear is main bus processing and you don't get that with stems so it would be hard to tell.
You could try cranking up the tracks for export or add extra plugin gain. Just export and close without saving to preserve your mix.

https://s1manual.presonus.com/#Mixing_T ... m_your.htm?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lokeyfly on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:08 am
Hey Chuck37,

Did you export the tracks only, or channels?

With tracks only, you wont get any plugins that were on the channel.just the raw track. That's largely the condition why.

Channel stems will possibly contain effects depending on pre or post fade routing. You can also stem the effects separately, which may have been part of the boost of those tracks. Check bussed tracks as well.

I'm afraid there's just not enough info to answer the exact cause. One thing you can try is when listening to the song, solo the effect where they would be coming from. Or, mute them to hear volume differences. Solo tracks as well.
Check your master track for additional inserts or effects.

A big part of stemming is knowing what is on tracks, or how to get that back. So again, it's largely your evaluating levels. These are just some points to help gaining that understanding.

You could normalize levels, but I think you would want to side with caution. Doing that can blow out any other effects processing and levels you had originally. So getting that back might alter progress. Hey, it might even help you as well. Just know what you have. Make a copy, and back up as well.
Hope it helps!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Tacman7 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:18 am
Lokeyfly wroteWith tracks only, you wont get any plugins that were on the channel.just the raw track. That's largely the condition why.

I was thinking you didn't get any plugins in the stem export but I was reading just now:

Note that the audio file created for any selected Track or Channel is the equivalent of soloing the Track or Channel in the Console and listening to the result. The audio file includes the results of all Inserts and Sends on the Track or Channel. If you don’t want the Inserts or Sends included in the exported audio, disable them before exporting.

I don't remember that but...?

Just tested a track, it included the plugin.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by Chuck37 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:37 am
Yeah. I expected "stems" to imply something very raw, so the person receiving them could do their own processing. The manual says otherwise (see above Tacman7). Thus, if my snare drum is loud when solo'd and listened to at master output, I expected it to be loud in the stem. This is not what I'm getting. I wonder if there's some subtlety to do with pre vs. post fader stuff in master?

Computer: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core, MSI-7390A Pro, 32 GB DDR4-2666, Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card
by Tacman7 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:51 am
You get insert plugins included in stems but not master bus processing, that would account for the difference.

If the track has a wav file on it, you can just copy those from the pool to get the raw wav, but that wouldn't locate it for you though.

Forum Moderator.

by Chuck37 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:16 am
Can you explain that (I'm still new)? Do you mean plugins in the master bus aren't in the stems but plugins in the channels are?

by Tacman7 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:16 pm
So the way it now works:

Export stems with tracks and you get the mains included.

Export stems with channels and the mains are there and can be excluded.

Forum Moderator.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1