11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

From searching, I know that this question comes up once in a while, but couldn't find this specific version, so to speak, of the topic :)

Anyway: I'm looking for a knob-centric hardware midi controller to control VST plugins in S1; what I'm really dreaming of is being able to control resonance, cutoff, distortion etc. on various third-party plugins with physical knobs to make automation and "playing" with the VST easier.

My only hardware right now is the ATOM, and although i love it for other reasons, its four knobs are too few and too rigid to actually use for playing and automation purposes.

So, my dream controller would:

1) Have 12-16 knobs, preferably with a button function so they also can be used to turn on/off plugins
2) Be programmable on a per song basis and stay with the program; so if, for instance, I have a filter plugin on one channel, a distortion plugin on a second, and a delay plugin on the third, I want the same knobs to control the same parameters without having to re-program each time i open S1.
3) Soft takeover (hope that's the term) so that the knobs start from where the virtual VST knob was

I've been looking at both DJ TechTools midi twister and the Nektar Panorama P1, but dunno if they'll do what i want them to. Also: I'm on V4 of S1 :punk:

Thanks!
by Lokeyfly on Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:28 am
I was thinking Softube's Console 1, but I see some have requested the ability for soft takeover implementation. So I'm not sure which controllers you'll benefit from.

https://answers.presonus.com/41602/soft-takeover-for-console-1-midi-controller

Since Studio One only incorporates direct mapping, it's not known when soft takeover would be implemented, or if it can. There's possibly controllers that already incorporate both, since its typically a hardware driven option. I'm pretty sure Arturia's Keylab Mk II does. I forget, as it's been a while. I suspect the more premium keyboard and dedicated controllers would.

Here's Presonus' position on soft takeover, unless something later has been reported.
https://answers.presonus.com/24002/plugin-and-mixer-parameter-soft-takeover

That said, if you did opt for motorized faders, then Presonus' own FP8, FP16, and potentially the FP1 would foot the bill nicely. Since you want 12 to 16 encoders, the FP16 would serve well.

My Keylab MkII has 9 knobs, 9 faders, and 9 buttons, all on 3 banks. My Novation Mk II has even more. 24 knobs, if I remember correctly. So look into the better controllers.

The Panorama P1 may do it for you. Not sure. Though the travel on those faders looks quite short. Fader Port units are motorized, are high resolution, and have 100mm travel making them excellent for mixing.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Tacman7 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:00 am
I was just thinking about Spring cleaning coming up...

Thinking I can list everything on Reverb, ya.

They still use these? Got a BCR and a BCF.

BCR.jpg
BCR.jpg (10.19 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

BCF.jpg
BCF.jpg (12.12 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by jensbjering on Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:41 am
Lokeyfly wroteI was thinking Softube's Console 1, but I see some have requested the ability for soft takeover implementation. So I'm not sure which controllers you'll benefit from.

https://answers.presonus.com/41602/soft-takeover-for-console-1-midi-controller

Since Studio One only incorporates direct mapping, it's not known when soft takeover would be implemented, or if it can. There's possibly controllers that already incorporate both, since its typically a hardware driven option. I'm pretty sure Arturia's Keylab Mk II does. I forget, as it's been a while. I suspect the more premium keyboard and dedicated controllers would.

Here's Presonus' position on soft takeover, unless something later has been reported.
https://answers.presonus.com/24002/plugin-and-mixer-parameter-soft-takeover

That said, if you did opt for motorized faders, then Presonus' own FP8, FP16, and potentially the FP1 would foot the bill nicely. Since you want 12 to 16 encoders, the FP16 would serve well.

My Keylab MkII has 9 knobs, 9 faders, and 9 buttons, all on 3 banks. My Novation Mk II has even more. 24 knobs, if I remember correctly. So look into the better controllers.

The Panorama P1 may do it for you. Not sure. Though the travel on those faders looks quite short. Fader Port units are motorized, are high resolution, and have 100mm travel making them excellent for mixing.

Lokeyfly, thanks so much for this thorough rundown of options. As I suspected, it's not that simple to get the (simple) solution I wanted, and the big faderport is sadly too dear for my wallet. Most importantly, soft takeover is a must, since VST control without that is meaningless for me (i checked the request thread and it still seems to not have been implemented.)

Thanks again for clearing this up - I guess I'll have to tweak my mouse skill :lol:
by SwitchBack on Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:40 am
Note that soft takeover should only be an issue for controller knobs with end stops. Controllers with motorised faders and 'endless' rotary encoders should be fine without it. The motorised faders will jump to the actual settings and the rotary encoders only send up/down commands so don't need alignment.
by jensbjering on Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:59 am
SwitchBack wroteNote that soft takeover should only be an issue for controller knobs with end stops. Controllers with motorised faders and 'endless' rotary encoders should be fine without it. The motorised faders will jump to the actual settings and the rotary encoders only send up/down commands so don't need alignment.

Switchback, that's really an amazing point - I thought no soft takeover always meant that the knobs would reverse back to some other point that the actual setting. You've just saved my day (lack of knowledge makes for easy happiness, I guess :))
by timchandler1 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:47 am
Hi there,

The Panorama series (including P1) has just been updated to support 8 user pages for VST assignments per plugin.

The P1 supports on-device parameter assignment, display feedback (parameter names and values).

And soft Takeover for the faders. All the Nektar controllers do this. Always have - with every DAW integrated.

phpBB [video]
by jensbjering on Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:30 pm
timchandler1 wroteHi there,

The Panorama series (including P1) has just been updated to support 8 user pages for VST assignments per plugin.

The P1 supports on-device parameter assignment, display feedback (parameter names and values).

And soft Takeover for the faders. All the Nektar controllers do this. Always have - with every DAW integrated.

phpBB [video]

Hi Timchandler,

Thanks for the heads-up. Two questions:

1) Does this also apply to earlier versions of S1 (im working on V4 and am afraid of change haha)
2) I assume this is not only for native S1 plugins, but also third-party?

by timchandler1 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:47 am
1) Does this also apply to earlier versions of S1 (im working on V4 and am afraid of change haha)
I have to say I haven't got S4 installed any more and we are not officially supporting v4 with this update. The User pages are an update Presonus introduced in their API quite recently, so that part of the integration may not work in v4.

Absolutely yes. In the video linked above, you'll see live mapping on the Reason Rack. Nektar DAW Integration works with any plugin format the DAW supports, as we map via automation rather than MIDI and there is no reliance on an additional software layer.

We DO provide an optional, free software app for really intricate plugin mapping and multi-channel hosting. This is called Nektarine and is also free with the Studio One integration for Panorama P1.

With Nektarine you can go further - customizing page names, setting up buttons for direct paging access and navigation. Nektarine provides much deeper mapping possibilities than DAW integration can by itself, but for some users it's more than they need - so with the P1 you get both options.
by AngusY on Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:48 pm
jensbjering wrote
timchandler1 wroteHi there,

phpBB [video]

Hi Timchandler,

Thanks for the heads-up. Two questions:

Just want to add to this, I recently purchased the Nektar Impact LX Mini 25-key controller and have been very impressed so far. I can confirm that the soft takeover DOES work in Studio One (I am using Version 5) and the 8 knobs contain 2 banks so you can control 16 parameters per VST. This feature alone makes it so much more fun to use with Studio One than any previous controller I've tried.

I also want to add that Nektar's support has been incredible. Send them an email with technical questions and they respond, usually same day or the next. Really rare these days and they've definitely earned my business going forward. I am now considering the P1 for mixing, to complement the LX mini keyboard which I primarily intend to use for composing & getting ideas down.
by ericma2 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:49 pm
Check out Yaeltex controllers https://yaeltex.com/
I have one for controlling plugins and sometimes sends. It's pretty straight forward and the led rings show you where your parameters are when you switch plugins.

2013 Mac Pro Trashcan 8 Core 64 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.7.3
Studio One 6.5.2
Pro Tools 21.12 <- Finally left Pro Tools - THANKS S1!!!!
Euphonix Artist Mix firmware 1.5.6.0
Eucon v4.8.3

11 posts
Page 1 of 1