5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi guys, is anybody could tell me if there s a big advantage to buy a Mac Studio M1 ultra instead of a Mac Studio M1 max to make some audio production with studio one ? I don’t want to spend too much money if it ´s not necessary ! Thanx for responding

MAC PRO 2010 10.13
Studio OnePro 5
RME DIGIFACE
SSL X LOGIC AX
SPECTRASONICS SUITE
NATIVE INSTRUMENT 13
by Tacman7 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:43 pm
Welcome to the Forum!

I recently purchased the base model M1 and now they have a $599 M2 that just came out. I find it very snappy running S1 especially combined with an TB Apollo interface.

You're not looking at M2?

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by graytermedia on Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:34 pm
brunopilloix wroteHi guys, is anybody could tell me if there s a big advantage to buy a Mac Studio M1 ultra instead of a Mac Studio M1 max to make some audio production with studio one ? I don’t want to spend too much money if it ´s not necessary ! Thanx for responding

I have both - an M1 Studio Max at home and an M1 Studio Ultra (fully loaded) at the office. I work in television and my company purchased Ultra's for audio post and for the video editors. Both systems are very responsive, handle VI's well (if that's your thing) and I'd say the differences between the models is negligible for audio work. Our video editors might have a different opinion, but I personally don't see much of a difference for the work that I do.

EDIT: I forgot to add, my Max is the best computer I've owned yet, and I've had many over the years.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by brunopilloix on Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:14 am
HI, i'm very pleased about your answer !! I'm working on sound design, i m a guitar player, and i use often some plugs like Guitar rig and it use lots of cpu on my 2010's macpro !! is the M1 Max will be good enough ?. But Do you think the Ultra's could be better for this kind of utilisation ?

MAC PRO 2010 10.13
Studio OnePro 5
RME DIGIFACE
SSL X LOGIC AX
SPECTRASONICS SUITE
NATIVE INSTRUMENT 13
by Skijumptoes on Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:47 pm
brunopilloix wroteHI, i'm very pleased about your answer !! I'm working on sound design, i m a guitar player, and i use often some plugs like Guitar rig and it use lots of cpu on my 2010's macpro !! is the M1 Max will be good enough ?. But Do you think the Ultra's could be better for this kind of utilisation ?

Using DAW benchmark figures posted online, Even if that is a 12 core 2010 Mac Pro, the M1 Pro will give you around double the performance, Ultra 3x and up.

Even the base M1would see you good, but hard to say without knowing what your current CPU is as a comparison. And exactly what 'some plugs' actually means.... We talking 20 tracks with 4-5 guitar rig instances? If so, no problem at all.

But yes, M1 Max would for sure be fine. If you get any of the CPU that have 8 performance cores then they're very powerful..... Probably overkill from what you've written, but if you want something to last you 8+ years then that's something to take into account of course.
Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 01.42.55.png

I'm using a 16" Mac Pro with the 10 core CPU M1 Pro and before that had a 2009, and 2012 Mac Pro - and it's just brilliant in comparison.... The Mac Pro's just feel so old and sluggish now.

Is it Guitar Rig 6 you're running, or v5? I can have a quick check to see how many instances my M1 Pro would run if it helps at all?

Don't forget that the new Mac Mini's are M2 too, so you get better single core performance which will benefit when running plugins that can hog the CPU.

Win11 Desktop - Ryzen 7 / RTX 3070Ti UMC 1820 & Liquid Saffire 56 | Macbook M1 Pro 16" & Steinberg UR22C | Studio One v6

5 posts
Page 1 of 1