41 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Currently, Im running Studio One on a Macbook Pro (Intel). Im looking this year at upgrading to either a Mac Studio, or building a new desktop PC. Pricing out parts, I can build a new desktop that beats the Mac Studio in specs for nearly half the price.

Ive also spoken 1 friend in particular who has had all sorts of issues with various DAWs, VST compatibility, etc etc on Windows machines. Anyone here experience any issues in Windows 10 or 11? Weird quirks, bugs, whether general or specific to Studio One or its plug-ins, or related to interfaces, etc? Would love to save the money with the PC route, but not if it makes life difficult...

Thanks in advance!

by Vocalpoint on Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:31 pm
joshwalker7 wroteCurrently, Im running Studio One on a Macbook Pro (Intel). Im looking this year at upgrading to either a Mac Studio, or building a new desktop PC. Pricing out parts, I can build a new desktop that beats the Mac Studio in specs for nearly half the price.

Ive also spoken 1 friend in particular who has had all sorts of issues with various DAWs, VST compatibility, etc etc on Windows machines. Anyone here experience any issues in Windows 10 or 11? Weird quirks, bugs, whether general or specific to Studio One or its plug-ins, or related to interfaces, etc? Would love to save the money with the PC route, but not if it makes life difficult...

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Been running S1 here on Windows 10 since 2015 - nary a care in the world. Rock solid and dependable for all my work (both clients and personal)

Can't speak to Windows 11 as I have not gone there yet. Win 10 is simply more mature, less resource heavy and trouble free at this point in time.

Good luck with your PC build!

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by MisterE on Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:27 pm
None whatsoever with Win10 that I've experienced. Not every possible hardware and software component has been shaken out to work with Win11, but if you do your homework, you can find enough components that have been thoroughly tested to build with Win11 today -- thus avoiding having to switch from Win10 in a few years when it becomes unsupported.

A bigger issue than is Windows ready for newbies is are newbies ready for Windows. There's like an epidemic of them who won't take the time to learn new software, fine tune their studio setups, or establish a productive workflow -- which takes time and effort, sometimes a lot of time and effort -- and instead blame "various DAWs, VST compatibility, etc etc on Windows machines, weird quirks, bugs general or specific to Studio One or its plug-ins, or related to interfaces, etc." when things don't go smoothly.

Without getting into a Mac vs PC harangue, suffice it to say that the price difference between comparable systems is often enough to buy a heck of a nice guitar or keyboard (or interface, preamp, controller you name it) that'll make a bigger difference in your recordings than what kind of computer you're using.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:52 pm
No problems on either here. Right now, I'm back to 10 with older machine and 6.0.2 seems great. But on the "newer" machine with 11, no problems there either.

Bye......:roll:
by joshwalker7 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:39 am
Thanks for the answers thus far!

How about latency? Reading a lot of post around the internet that claim Mac seems to have better latency. Seems to me this would have more to do with the interface than the OS, but curious if anyone has any experiences with latency issues?

Thanks again!

by Vocalpoint on Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:53 am
joshwalker7 wroteHow about latency? Reading a lot of post around the internet that claim Mac seems to have better latency. Seems to me this would have more to do with the interface than the OS, but curious if anyone has any experiences with latency issues?

Latency is all about the drivers (if we are talking latency in terms of basic I/O to the interface).

I am using RME here and coupled with Studio One's Low Latency Monitoring for Instruments - my effective latency when recording say my guitar is literally zero. Does not get any better than that.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by MisterE on Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:37 pm
joshwalker7 wroteThanks for the answers thus far!

How about latency? Reading a lot of post around the internet that claim Mac seems to have better latency. Seems to me this would have more to do with the interface than the OS, but curious if anyone has any experiences with latency issues?

Thanks again!

Please point out one post in this forum by anyone who's had more than a few months getting acclimated to S1 complaining about latency with their Windows machines and wishing they went back to Mac. If you can't find one, maybe that's your answer.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by joshwalker7 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:31 pm
MisterE wrotePlease point out one post in this forum by anyone who's had more than a few months getting acclimated to S1 complaining about latency with their Windows machines and wishing they went back to Mac. If you can't find one, maybe that's your answer.

To be fair:
1. This isnt the only forum on the internet--There are plenty of examples out there to look at--some older, and some newer.
2. Probably the bigger reason I ask: People dont always speak up, regardless of direction.

So, if you have any actual info, either way, Id be interested in hearing it...

by MisterE on Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:13 pm
joshwalker7 wrote
MisterE wrotePlease point out one post in this forum by anyone who's had more than a few months getting acclimated to S1 complaining about latency with their Windows machines and wishing they went back to Mac. If you can't find one, maybe that's your answer.

To be fair:
1. This isnt the only forum on the internet--There are plenty of examples out there to look at--some older, and some newer.
2. Probably the bigger reason I ask: People dont always speak up, regardless of direction.

I personally don't need "actual info" since I've been recording with Windows PCs since 1999, having started with a cute little Mac SE with 1 megabyte memory (not a misprint). I've never experienced any latency, even back then.

For you, if you want actual educated opinions on all things PC (including Macs) latency, as opposed to pure Mac brainwashing, the place to shop is Gearspace/Music Computers. Take a poke around there, in particular in these long-running threads:

https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... marks.html

https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... hread.html

https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... -base.html

Note the title of the first link: cross platform daw benchmarks. You'll get all the truly highly informed info you could ever ask for as opposed to what you've been hearing from your Mac buddies. And what you're going to find is that Windows is capable of lower latencies than Mac -- though the differences don't keep you from making great music on either platform given great material and great musicians.

If I sound like I'm too much of a Windows fanboy, let me dispel that notion by telling you there is some price to pay for saving a bunch of money on a highly capable high end music computer by going with Windows. And that's this: there is so much ability to customize on the Windows side, it means it would behoove you to invest some time figuring out those types of things that Mac won't allow you to do. In some ways, that's a Mac strength -- there are way less decisions you're allowed to make, so you don't have to ponder endless possibilities. If you're unwilling to invest time learning the Windows lay of the land, you may be better off staying with Mac if you have the money to invest in their ecosystem.

I really don't want to waste time debating Mac vs PC other than to state that, yes, in 1990 Windows was clunkier than Mac. But now it's 2023 and that hasn't been the case in forever. Just be aware there's some educational time investment required on the Windows side that isn't necessarily demanded on the Mac side. If you go into Windows thinking as many things will be taken care of for you as they were on Mac, it aint gonna work out for you.

But as far as higher latency, less reiliability, and all the other faux fears mentioned earlier goes, that's all mythology.

by Lokeyfly on Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:36 pm
joshwalker7 wrote: "Ive also spoken 1 friend in particular who has had all sorts of issues with various DAWs, VST compatibility, etc etc on Windows machines. Anyone here experience any issues in Windows 10 or 11? Weird quirks, bugs, whether general or specific to Studio One or its plug-ins, or related to interfaces, etc?"

I understand your need to avoid unnecessary purchase problems. However, your friend said, or you heard this or that, I mean let's look at the track record of both current Mac OS and Win 10/11 systems. Is anyone really needing to steer a potential cross platform buyer with some good/bad/better response with Studio One? No, except perhaps from those sources you spoke about. Not interested. There's a few additional tweaks in Windows 11 over 10 to go over in settings.

joshwalker7 wroteHow about latency? Reading a lot of post around the internet that claim Mac seems to have better latency. Seems to me this would have more to do with the interface than the OS, but curious if anyone has any experiences with latency issues?

Josh, you needn't worry or think a Mac or PC will impact more or less latency than the other. It's splitting hairs and frankly silly to consider.

As to audio Interfaces. While interfaces do differ in features, and performance specs, it's all pretty on you to choose. Otherwise you're simply throwing a slab of meat into the lions cage asking that in a forum. "Yeah, mine is great, don't buy X", "whadya mean don't buy X"..........etc, etc.

There will ALWAYS be some latency. It's inherent in every computer or interface and physically. Period. As to if that latency is impactful on ones playing staccato, finger picking, or drumming will be a consideration they would have to work out. Be it a mixer on the interface for faster monitoring playback, setting the buffer during recording takes, or internal processor to handle additional effects, etc. If the turnaround latency is 5 mil seconds, that's equivalent to plugging a guitar into an amp approx. 5 feet from you(*see below). You'd have a hard time tripping over that with timing delay. Dont let anyone tell you they have zero latency. They dont. If you believe them, I have some ice cubes to sell you in Alaska.

*For reference, sound travels 0.343 meters per millisecond, so 10ms latency is the equivalent of sitting 3.4 meters away from from a speaker.

For interface research, Search "Julian Krause" In depth reviews. He bench tests a huge amount of audio interfaces in a very controlled way. Informative.

There are little to no issues with both Mac, and PC platforms with Studio One.

Good luck, and don't believe the hype. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by joshwalker7 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:05 pm
Appreciate the continued replies. Happy to keep reading if more come in. Im interested in YOUR personal experience, rather than links to other threads, which Ive been looking through regardless.

FWIW, Im not into hype, fanboy opinions, or brainwashing. With Masters work in Computer Engineering and 20-something years designing hardware, and software for Mac, Win, and Linux environments, Im not a kid in his parents basement trying to start an argument. I just dont have any experience with audio recording in Windows, and just polling the membership here before I go spend a bunch of time/money to build a new machine. Im genuinely interested in experiences, anecdotal or not.

Its not uncommon for certain things to work better on certain platforms. For the other devs out there, you may sympathize with the fact that writing Go on Mac is just plain easier than in Windows. And the opposite is true in many cases as well...So its worth checking.

The way its looking, Ill probably be building a new Windows machine, so youll probably see more questions from me in the future about optimizing things in Windows. Please dont take it the wrong way, I really just want to learn the relevant ins and outs as quickly as I can--I have a release schedule to adhere to! ;)

by Vocalpoint on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:50 pm
joshwalker7 wrote The way it's looking, I'll probably be building a new Windows machine, so you'll probably see more questions from me in the future about optimizing things in Windows.

Josh

Welcome to the Windows club. The first and most important advice to start with - especially if you are building this PC - is to get quality components from the start. Those being motherboard, CPU and RAM (in that order). These three will make or break the experience for you.

As noted in my sig below - I have been an ASUS (mobo), Intel (CPU) and Corsair (RAM) advocate for years and this combo never disappoints. Anything that I have assembled in the last 10 years would easily run circles around any Mac from the same era but the beauty is - I get to keep things like stylin' efficient cases, hand-picked cooling fans, power supplies, NVMe/SSD/HDD drives in circulation for years.

Each "upgrade" is simply a refresh of those 3 key pieces and the price is always reasonable and always worth the effort. I love the fact that I can reuse everything and save big bucks each round.

Let us know what you are going to use and hopefully we can bring some value to your build.

Cheers!

VP

by MisterE on Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:36 pm
joshwalker7 wroteWith Masters work in Computer Engineering and 20-something years designing hardware, and software for Mac, Win, and Linux environments ... Im not a kid in his parents basement

First off, spare us the bona fides. No one here cares if you're a Rhodes scholar or a grandma in Nebraska. And exactly why are you superior to some kid in his parents' basement learning S1?

Let's me see if I have this right. After immersing yourself in every aspect of computing for 20 years, you still weren't quite sure that people in every corner of the globe are successfully using Windows in creative environments? Really? Have you been a missionary in New Guinea or something, maybe teaching Computing Engineering to natives in huts?

You asked for specific links to educated opinions, I provided them, now you say you don't want specific links, you just want personal testimony. Which is it?

by joshwalker7 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:33 pm
MisterE wroteFirst off, spare us the bona fides. No one here cares if you're a Rhodes scholar or a grandma in Nebraska. And exactly why are you superior to some kid in his parents' basement learning S1?
Arent you a fiesty one... :roll:

I never claimed I was superior to anyone, youre trying to put words in my mouth. Nevertheless, there are plenty of people out there intent on creating arguments for the fun of it, or posting without doing some research--Im not one of those, and I dont need the Laymans discussion. And mentioning some background is helpful.

MisterE wroteLet's me see if I have this right. After immersing yourself in every aspect of computing for 20 years, you still weren't quite sure that people in every corner of the globe are successfully using Windows in creative environments? Really? Have you been a missionary in New Guinea or something, maybe teaching Computing Engineering to natives in huts?

Again, youre trying to put words in my mouth: I never said I "immersed myself in every aspect of computing". I cant imagine immersing in *every* aspect of any industry. I was very clear that I havent done audio work on a Windows platform, thats the only reason Im asking.

I also never suggested that people are not "successfully using Windows in creative environments". I never said or suggested any platform provides insurmountable challenges, or even big ones. I very specifically asked if people had encountered bugs or significant latency--and there certainly are tests out there and users experiencing it, so sit down and stop acting like its some kind of novel idea that an OS of tens of millions of lines of code, running a piece of software of millions of lines of code, over a chip with billions of transistors, cant end up having interactive problems.

My verbiage doesnt suggest any kind of questioning on success, it questions whether people have had any trouble with a given OS, using a specific platform for a specific task. No hints of not being successful. There are, however, hints of you acting a douche for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

MisterE wroteYou asked for specific links to educated opinions, I provided them, now you say you don't want specific links, you just want personal testimony. Which is it?

Go back and read--I never once asked for links to anything. I asked on 3 separate occasions for peoples *experiences*. Theres no reason I need you to re-post things that can be searched for. I was looking for personal experiences, since the initial post.

You had some informative things to say early on (and I appreciate it), but please restrain from posting further, if its geared towards inflaming things beyond what they already are. Im just looking for more data points, and beyond this, I think youre probably just getting in the way...

by Lokeyfly on Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:33 pm
joshwalker7 wrote" The way its looking, Ill probably be building a new Windows machine, so youll probably see more questions from me in the future about optimizing things in Windows."

Cool. Good luck!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by MisterE on Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:45 pm
joshwalker7 wroteGo back and read--I never once asked for links to anything.

I did.

======================================
MisterE wrote
Please point out one post in this forum by anyone who's had more than a few months getting acclimated to S1 complaining about latency with their Windows machines and wishing they went back to Mac. If you can't find one, maybe that's your answer.

To be fair:

===============================================
So now you didn't solicit "actual information" "either way" after noting there are "other forums on the internet (than this one)." Excuse me, but your post reads exactly like reports from elsewhere on the internet were exactly what you were seeking.

Sorry if my taking time out in my day locating the exact forum this stuff is spelled out in incredible detail by people who test this stuff out more than anyone to help you wasn't valuble to you in any possible way.

Personally, I don't care if you record with Mac, PC, or Atari ST. From this point on, your request to hear no further from me is gladly granted.

by robertanderson14 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:55 pm
FWIW, I used Windows 10 for some time, and have been using Windows 11 for about a year now. No S1 problems in either case. That said, I did have issues with MOTU AVB interfaces on an different PC (running Windows 7, 8, then 10), MOTU's claims were that it was due to the chipset on that motherboard, and I tend to believe them. So my questions generally focus on "is the interface well supported on the platform" due to personal experience.

Studio One Pro 6; MOTU 828es / Helix LT; Intel B365 / i5-9700 / 16 GB; Windows 11 Pro;
Ex-Sonar user; Singer/Songwriter
My record: https://rwaproject.bandcamp.com/album/thats-true
by MisterE on Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:34 pm
robertanderson14 wroteFWIW, I used Windows 10 for some time, and have been using Windows 11 for about a year now. No S1 problems in either case. That said, I did have issues with MOTU AVB interfaces on an different PC (running Windows 7, 8, then 10), MOTU's claims were that it was due to the chipset on that motherboard, and I tend to believe them. So my questions generally focus on "is the interface well supported on the platform" due to personal experience.

Making sure the interface is suited to the platform is good advice.

Sorry you had to learn it the hard way, but even the smallest amount of research could have revealed that a MOTU AVB was a risky choice for Windows 7, 8, and 10 and any PC chipset, not just the one you happened to use.

That experience really isn't reflective of any general lack of dependability of various versions of Windows, it's indicative of the reality that MOTU pours the vast majority of its resources into Mac development, like the all-important drivers. And why shouldn't they, given their longstanding success on the Mac platform? They're not going to go all-out to support a platform that represents maybe a tenth of their sales, especially over a decade or so.

As you found out yourself, once you went with another interface more proven on the Windows side, your problems were over.

by robertanderson14 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:55 pm
Um, no. I'm still using MOTU AVB and it has been rock solid. There is a particular USB chipset -- I could dig out the info on it -- that wasn't backwards compatible for a particular mode on which MOTU was relying. I actually just switched computers and everything was fine after that.

That said, I do agree that MOTU was a risky bet at the time. I have no reason to believe that still to be the case.

Studio One Pro 6; MOTU 828es / Helix LT; Intel B365 / i5-9700 / 16 GB; Windows 11 Pro;
Ex-Sonar user; Singer/Songwriter
My record: https://rwaproject.bandcamp.com/album/thats-true
by MisterE on Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:10 am
robertanderson14 wroteUm, no. I'm still using MOTU AVB and it has been rock solid. There is a particular USB chipset -- I could dig out the info on it -- that wasn't backwards compatible for a particular mode on which MOTU was relying. I actually just switched computers and everything was fine after that.

That said, I do agree that MOTU was a risky bet at the time. I have no reason to believe that still to be the case.

Glad they finally got it sorted.

41 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3