68 postsPage 4 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
I never use third party utilities that will change my config. I will use monitoring utilities. I always do config adjustments manually. Makes a big difference.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:03 am
Skijumptoes wroteJust give me vanilla

Love vanilla! One of the best flavors. And yes, I get your point completely.

Bye......:roll:
by MisterE on Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:24 am
PreAl wrote
MisterE wroteThat "known issue" is also the normal course of events, as in something changes with Windows -- like Win11 being released -- and chipset specifiers like AMD in conjunction with motherboard manufacturers figure out how to accomodate the changes to insure that CPUs and motherboards run smoothly. That's usually accomplished through updating a motherboard's BIOS.

It's not the normal having to upgrade your bios before an OS upgrade.

We'll agree to disagree then. Not every PC will need an upgraded BIOS, but plenty of them will. That's why mobos have BIOSes.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:32 am
Meh, toss it all! Throw your computers in the dump and get a stone plate and chisel. :lol:

Bye......:roll:
by PreAl on Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:42 am
MisterE wrote
PreAl wroteIt's not the normal having to upgrade your bios before an OS upgrade.

We'll agree to disagree then. Not every PC will need an upgraded BIOS, but plenty of them will. That's why mobos have BIOSes.

I'm sure some motherboards may need it but it's hardly a common scenario or common practice.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by MisterE on Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:12 pm
PreAl wrote
MisterE wrote
PreAl wroteIt's not the normal having to upgrade your bios before an OS upgrade.

I'm sure some motherboards may need it but it's hardly a common scenario or common practice.

It is and has been commonplace all through Windows major version changes. My 20 years on Gearspace Music Computers forum doesn't make me all-knowing or always right. On the other hand, I've been following this stuff a long time. If you want to feel put out that you have to upgrade a BIOS, or wait for AMD or Intel to provide a fix after a major Windows version change, be my guest. But that's the way it is.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by gregghart on Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:48 am
For most people with older (by older, I mean 3-5 years old), to go from Win10 to Win11, a BIOS upgrade may be required. At least BIOS changes will need to be made. TPM2.0 is a requirement. This is something that can be flashed from 1.2 to 2.0 via a BIOS upgrade. (If your mobo supports it).

Another thing on Modern OS's that many people had to upgrade their mother board for was UEFI, which allows for extended storage, and also much faster boot time. Windows 10 doesn't REQUIRE it, but it sure helps. Windows 11 requires it.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by MisterE on Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:45 am
gregghart wroteFor most people with older (by older, I mean 3-5 years old), to go from Win10 to Win11, a BIOS upgrade may be required. At least BIOS changes will need to be made. TPM2.0 is a requirement. This is something that can be flashed from 1.2 to 2.0 via a BIOS upgrade. (If your mobo supports it).

Another thing on Modern OS's that many people had to upgrade their mother board for was UEFI, which allows for extended storage, and also much faster boot time. Windows 10 doesn't REQUIRE it, but it sure helps. Windows 11 requires it.

I had to upgrade the BIOS on my mobo (see signature) even with just a now two-year old 5600X CPU and other all-new at the time components before USB would work properly. Had to wait for an updated AMD AGESA. What the heck's that?

In AMD-land, according to Wikipedia, "the AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture (AGESA) is a procedure library developed by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), used to perform the Platform Initialization (PI) on mainboards using their AMD64 architecture. As part of the BIOS of such mainboards, AGESA is responsible for the initialization of the CPU cores, chipset, main memory, and the HyperTransport controller."

Once again, completely normal: new chipset (on mobos) = very possibly you need to upgrade your BIOS. How else can your system be expected to adapt if some new hardware or OS comes down the pike?

68 postsPage 4 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4