8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Studio One newbie here.
I worked with Ableton since version 4. Trying to switch to S1 but it is really ,really hard. While certain things are obvious because Ableton and S1 work the same in that aspect. Switching the mindset to certain things is really hard, and I have already got lost a number of times.

I do not blame Presonus, IT is me of course, and I am trying to like this product but the barrier is quite big. IT is either not enough tutorials or perhaps the way it is design. Today I got stuck on a simple thing (or perhaps it is simply a bug).

I watched a few videos about the topic of multiple channels on a single track and I grasped it , but I do see tutorials or answers how to manipulate things (moving tracks around, moving channels around, removing them etc.
IT is all super confusing.

Here is an example:
Added 2 midi tracks with instruments. Each track got its own channel Input/Output. Later I removed the tracks, but I cannot find the option to remove those channels ? Why ?

Things like this happened to me few times already and this is quite discouraging. Perhaps it would be great to make a video tutorial for Ableton users. Not sure, but I feel like something is missing for my progress in learning S1. Perhaps it complexity. So far (since I paid for the license a month ago) I made around 10 sessions and the only thing I achieved was recording a single audio track. Nothing to be proud of.

Intel i9/24-core, RAM-64Gb, M.2-NVME-4TB, 4xHD-18Tb
Win10/64-Pro. Studio One + (v6.2+)
BEHRIUNGER-UMC-404, KompleteKontrol KBD Mk1/61key, Arturia-MINI-LAB mk2 (25key), Novation LAUNCH-CONTROL-XL, M-AUDIO - TrigerFinger, M-AUDIO Studio Monitors.
by taylorscott2 on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:35 am
Right click the instrument track. Theres an option to delete track AND instrument (which deletes the channel too). You can assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I have the DEL key delete audio tracks, and CTRL+DEL delete instrument tracks (and channels).

You need to rethink tracks/channels coming from Ableton. An instrument can exist in S1 without a track.

I came from Ableton too back in the day and it took me a few weeks to set it up, re-do shortcuts, make macros, etc until I felt super comfortable.

Now, I can not even imagine having to go back to Ableton.

Studio One 6 (Sphere)
Windows 10
Ryzen 7950x (16-Core)
64GB 6000mhz RAM
2x 2TB NVME M.2 SSD's
1x 4TB NVME M.2 SSD
Nvidia 4070 TI
ioStation 24c
by Toon Schoppema on Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:01 am
From the manual:

Instruments

The Instruments panel is open by default and is closed and opened by clicking on the [Instr.] button in the Navigation column. The Instruments panel displays all currently loaded virtual instruments, with each occupying an Instrument Slot. If an Instrument is not connected to an Instrument Track, it is grayed out.

You can delete the VST from this list if you removed the track without instrument.

CPU:Apple MacBook Air M1
DAW:Studio One v6.5.1
by Trucky on Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:07 am
Moving from any DAW to another can be challenging. I moved from Cakewalk, Reason and Ableton 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I still sometimes use them but Studio One is my main DAW because of the workflow. Fortunately, there's many video tutorials for Studio One to choose from but I also find the Forum and Facebook groups great resources in finding answers from other users willing to help. The Studio One 6 Owner's PDF manual is also a great resource. I still find that searching a PDF document for answers helps in finding what I need. Hopefully, it will help you as well.

Here's the download link:
https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/Studio_One_6.0_Reference_Manual_EN_29092022.pdf

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by ianaeillo on Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:11 pm
I’m a twenty year user of Pro Tools and just hit my ten year anniversary with Studio One. I score for film in Logic and am decent in DP.

That said, I am NOT wired to work in Ableton. I have tried many, many times. I watch friends who work in Ableton and I understand nothing at all. It’s pretty Greek to me.

I have nothing to add other than I think the jump from or to Ableton is the hardest. It has to be. Good luck.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by j0001s on Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:23 pm
I agree with the above. Studio One, Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic use a similar paradigm. Abelton IS different.

My suggestion is one of the Groove 3 intro courses. There's a 7 day free trial, and you might learn enough in that time to be on your way.
by michaelherbert4 on Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:57 am
Hey Arthur,

I also came from Ableton to Studio One, yes it is a steep learning curve, but I just had patience with it. You can do it!

There are many great S1 tutorials on YT, there's no lack of them. Often Presonus's Joe and Gregor move a bit too fast, so to supplement them I've learned immensely from Max Konyi, Hlaw Tabs, and the traitor (lol) Qanta.

But it also depends on what genre of music you're into-- Joe is great for audio and recording live instruments, Gregor is great with midi and electronica, Max is great at multi-sectional, melody and chord progression driven music, Quanta is an encyclopedia of S1 techniques. There are other great S1 tutors on YT, it's a long list.

But here's something I don't understand--why do so many music creators feel they have to SWITCH to another DAW? DAWs are like different languages, it seems to me it's advantageous to be fluent in several. I can't do without Ableton's Session View and way cool native sounds, and I can't do without S1's notation view, chord track, midi editing, drag & drop...well, with S1 the list is way too long. . .

Studio One 5 Pro
Acer Aspire desktop
Windows 10 i3 9th Gen 8GB RAM
Eris 3.5 monitors
Casio CTK-6000 arranger keyboard
by arthurklisiewicz1 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:46 pm
I HAVE TO SAY ONE THING - THIS FORUM AND COMMUNITY IS GREAT.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes I agree that S1 and Login, ProTools etc are more alike and Ableton is more like Bitwig and so on. I agree these 2 DAW's are like a different languages so one should not try to use to many (like 4 or 6). Two of them is enough.
I have my reasons to seek happiness in S1. Ableton LIVE is a great DAW but the company gets worse and worse every year and I am fed up with their attitude. They became very arrogant and basically support doesn't exist anymore.

I would try to check recommended YouTubers - THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THAT.
My main issue is the type of: WHAT I DO WHEN I GET STUCK ?
I have a choice of
- spending 2-3 hours on YT or Google searching for answers
- asking on Forum
- switching to my old DAW and doing it (but then I'm missing features from S1)

If I wouldn't have any projects to do or finish, that would be not an issue. The problem is how to manage the time. For me my time has a great value and I want to designate most of my time in creating music and as little as possible to dealing with technical issues.

As far as my music genre - it is mostly: electronic, cinematic, some classic and tribal type. I rarely record live sessions (except vocals). I use mostly MIDI and sometimes samples/loops Libs.
Live session view is a huge advantage for me as composer, because it gives me much more flexibility and inspiration than S1 tools. I was considering Bitwig at some point (especially that they have Linux version) but it is still not mature enough for me. Bitwig is however fantastic potential.

Blessings for ALL!

Intel i9/24-core, RAM-64Gb, M.2-NVME-4TB, 4xHD-18Tb
Win10/64-Pro. Studio One + (v6.2+)
BEHRIUNGER-UMC-404, KompleteKontrol KBD Mk1/61key, Arturia-MINI-LAB mk2 (25key), Novation LAUNCH-CONTROL-XL, M-AUDIO - TrigerFinger, M-AUDIO Studio Monitors.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1