22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Whenever I export, transform audio, or actually anything that causes the "Rendering Audio" dialog box to show up, if I click anywhere on the Task bar (like, to bring up a browser, or Discord, or literally anything), Explorer.exe essentially hangs the taskbar and freezes the Windows clock. Every time. All I can do is hit export and back away from the computer, otherwise it freezes. Killing the Explorer.exe in Task Manager with the largest amount of memory used, restart Explorer.exe always fixes it until the next time I render.

Once it's "frozen", I can still click on things in the task bar, they "work", but the icon doesn't do the normal on-hover grey box - but the preview bubble shows up.

Studio One is the ONLY application that causes Explorer to hang like this, and ONLY when rendering audio (realtime/online or offline).

Anyone else having this issue? The main issue I have is the clock frozen. I'm literally unaware that time passes while I'm working. I caught myself at 5am stuck on a Windows clock that froze at 1am.

Happy to help do anything to diagnose.

Last edited by firegs on Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 9 3950x, 128GB RAM, Studio One 6.1.1, Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
by patricemazmanian on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:10 am
just an idea, have you tried with version 6.0.0?
I had other problems with version 6.0.1. for example I could not unload two songs in studio one, it crashes systematically.
Of course I checked the ram, everything is ok. Anyway it couldn't be the ram, version 6.0.0 works perfectly for me!

S1 pro 6 -Vienna Ensemble Pro - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win10 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - EWQL hollywood-orchestra...
by davidthames1 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:37 am
Just to add my 2 cents in here - I've had the same problem with multiple releases of Studio One 5 and now all the releases of Studio One 6. I've had to manually restart Windows Explorer or reboot my PC and laptop after extensive sessions which included rendering audio. It even almost caused me to miss an important event because the clock had frozen and I thought I had more time. I've done extensive diagnostics on my PC and laptop and I have more than enough resources available on each.
by firegs on Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:43 pm
patricemazmanian wrotejust an idea, have you tried with version 6.0.0?
I had other problems with version 6.0.1. for example I could not unload two songs in studio one, it crashes systematically.
Of course I checked the ram, everything is ok. Anyway it couldn't be the ram, version 6.0.0 works perfectly for me!

It was like this even on 5.5, 6.0, and now 6.0.1

Windows 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 9 3950x, 128GB RAM, Studio One 6.1.1, Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
by AAV on Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:43 am
I had a lot of issues with export mixdown with automation when I initially built my current DAW when running my I9 at stock speed of 3.6 GHz. (Back with S1 4 and 5). Especially when I had any automation on any tracks. Sometimes the track was missed entirely from the rendered mixdown. Or the automation was overlooked. Sometimes the mixdown would just hang.
Like your Ryzen, my i9 is unlocked and fairly easy to overclock. I run at a very safe and conservative 4.6 GHz which has made a world of difference in how S1 runs. Your screenshot shows you are running at stock 3.5 GHz(?) After overclocking, my mixdowns are way less problematic and my mixes and edits in S1 are all at lower latency.
(It seems that) the root issue is that S1 is largely reliant on single core clock speed for a lot of it's functionality and maybe like my i9 was, your Ryzen is severely underutilized at its stock speed as a result.(?)
I am no advocate for overclocking and while my i9 can easily run reliably at 5 GHz I opted for a much lower clock speed that has nonetheless made a world of difference.
If I were in your position I would research this (YouTube for a start if you're not familiar with overclocking), and try out small changes to the clock multiplier settings in your motherboard's bios to assess the impact on your cpu utilization and your performance in S1. (Also be mindful of increased thermal load and associated fan noise.) In my case I can run at 4.6 with no discernable increase in temperature and only slight increase in fan speed. I built it with massive fans for this reason (then left the fans pretty much idle for a year or more while my cpu coasted).
YMMV- it could be something completely unrelated (I'm on Win 10 for example) but the before (my i9 at 3.6 GHz) and the after (the same processor at 4.6 GHz) in both S1 5.5 and now in 6.0.1 suggests this may be an opportunity you may want to look at.
Hope this helps.

Studio One 6.6 Pro, Audient ID4 mark II,
Gigabyte Designair Z390, 32GB DDR4 3200, Intel i9-9900K 4.8 GHZ, 2 TB & 1 TB SSD, 3 x 1TB 7200 rpm HDD, Windows 11 Pro 64 23H2
by davidneuhauser on Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:24 am
I Have the same problem with sruck clock and bonky taskbar wit. Studio one 6, on windows 11 even on a fresh windows install
by nigeldawson on Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:09 am
I have the same issue and it's driving me nuts and just cant seem to get a resolve or reply from PreSonus on a possible solution. In my situation, not only does the clock stop, the windows task bar glitches so I cant click on the pinned icons as they've shifted 1/2 icon to the right (mostly end up launching the application next to the one you want).

What I have found is, if I dont expand the mixer or any other section to my second screen, it doesnt do it (or I least I've not noticed it) and dont have to keep rebooting.

I've also lost half a day due to clock freeze....whoops !

WINDOWS 11 64bit 64GB Memory
Studio One 5.5.2.86528

Please can someone suggest a solution...TA :-)
by danielikpeama on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:04 pm
I've also had this problem on my desktop with most versions of Studio One 5. Hopefully this can get fixed at some point. I'd definitely hoped this would be fixed in 6...
by PreAl on Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:21 am
danielikpeama wroteI've also had this problem on my desktop with most versions of Studio One 5. Hopefully this can get fixed at some point. I'd definitely hoped this would be fixed in 6...

Nobody has confirmed that this is still an issue or not on 6.1.1

There have been related fixes.

If somebody does experience this they should also please confirm they are on the latest audio interface drivers and firmware, and tell us what their OS is (update their signature with their specs - please!). Thx.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by firegs on Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:26 am
Still happens on 6.1.1.

Whatever Studio One is doing while it renders, it just completely freezes the Windows taskbar until it completes rendering. The clock is frozen from the moment you start rendering, and the task bar is also frozen in time. You can click on items in the taskbar, and they'll open, but if you close an app that was opened, it still shows as open on the taskbar. If you open a NEW application, you never see it on the taskbar (because its graphically frozen). I've never seen another application/DAW do this kind of behavior. Only way to fix it is look for the Explorer.exe with the largest Memory usage and restart it within taskmanager.exe.

by PreAl on Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:24 am
If you unplug your audio interface whilst it is "frozen" what happens?.Also try unplugging other devices and doing this procedure with these devices unplugged.

Similar procedure with plugins. Disable all of them.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by firegs on Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:30 am
Nothing. It's not that the "Explorer.exe" application itself is frozen, its just graphically frozen. I can still Alt-tab into other applications, I can even alt-tab into open Explorer windows. It's purely a graphical glitch.

Side note, if I click on the clock while rendering, the Windows side-bar doesn't come up. If I click and drag around the "Rendering" window, the side-bar pops up.

by PreAl on Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:34 am
So did you do what I suggested?

BTW plenty of complaints going on right now with the latest geforce drivers. Might try roll back to a generic driver or updating.

by firegs on Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:35 am
Well, I figured it out on my end. It explains why it's been an issue for years, and followed from Windows 10 > Windows 11 upgrade.

Classic Start Menu, or "Classic Shell". Typing it out like I did in the previous post made me realize this is a purely graphical issue and it must be something to do with a Windows Explorer extension.

Uninstalled it, restarted Explorer, and now I cannot get it to crash, hang, etc.

Anyone else experiencing this, I'd look to see if you have it installed, or anything similar that modifies the way the Start button/experience works.

by AAV on Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:15 pm
Awesome. Good find. Thanks for posting it. :thumbup:

Studio One 6.6 Pro, Audient ID4 mark II,
Gigabyte Designair Z390, 32GB DDR4 3200, Intel i9-9900K 4.8 GHZ, 2 TB & 1 TB SSD, 3 x 1TB 7200 rpm HDD, Windows 11 Pro 64 23H2
by oleksandrvozniuk on Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:36 am
firegs wroteWell, I figured it out on my end. It explains why it's been an issue for years, and followed from Windows 10 > Windows 11 upgrade.

Classic Start Menu, or "Classic Shell". Typing it out like I did in the previous post made me realize this is a purely graphical issue and it must be something to do with a Windows Explorer extension.

Uninstalled it, restarted Explorer, and now I cannot get it to crash, hang, etc.

Anyone else experiencing this, I'd look to see if you have it installed, or anything similar that modifies the way the Start button/experience works.

Hi, I have the same issue on win11 studio one 5.5.2. How can you uninstall Windows Explorer extension? I only found the way to scan and recover all system files but no info on how to uninstall Explorer.
by Vocalpoint on Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:35 am
oleksandrvozniuk wroteHi, I have the same issue on win11 studio one 5.5.2. How can you uninstall Windows Explorer extension? I only found the way to scan and recover all system files but no info on how to uninstall Explorer.

You cannot "uninstall" Explorer. That application is a core part of Windows.

What some folks are discussing in here - "Classic Shell" - is an overlay that you can download and install to change the look and feel of the Windows Explorer component - see here:

http://www.classicshell.net/

If you do not have Classic Shell installed (and it sounds like you do not) but Explorer is still freezing - that is a different issue altogether. And one that needs to be investigated.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by PreAl on Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:10 am
He didn't say he wanted to remove "explorer", he wanted to remove an "explorer extension".

Perhaps try...

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

A shell though is an entirely different matter, bring back "Program Manager" !

by Vocalpoint on Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:17 am
PreAl wroteHe didn't say he wanted to remove "explorer", he wanted to remove an "explorer extension".

Well - he did say this (and I quote):

"I only found the way to scan and recover all system files but no info on how to uninstall Explorer".

Sounds like trying to remove Explorer to me?

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by PreAl on Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:40 am
True you are not wrong, but he also said this.

firegs wroteit must be something to do with a
Windows Explorer extension.

Guess we are gonna find out it's internet explorer next rather than file explorer :D

Although he said "windows explorer", which should be called "file explorer" nowadays :D

Forgive me I've just done 5 x 18 hour shifts, my head hurts by default right now. Makes me post too many smileys.

Apparently this thread is solved :D

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2