28 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Thinking about replacing my old laptop. What a gaming laptop with 32 GB of RAM and an RTX graphics card be good for running Studio One efficiently?

Thanks!

Dell Latitude E6530, 16 GB Ram, Two 1-TB SSD
Windows 10/64
Novation LaunchKey 49 USB Keyboard
Studio One 6.5.2.97444 Win x64
by alfredohuerta on Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:26 am
I'm guessing that the lack of answers implies that the answer is probably to say that "it depends". It seems that the gaming laptops more commonly seem to have 32 GB of RAM which I think is better. However, does the graphics card make any difference? I'm not editing video, just running audio software.

I guess what I'm asking is that if I bought a gaming laptop, regardless of the brand, how "probable" would it be that it would be able to handle Studio One 5? In other words, does the fact that it is a "gaming" laptop suggest that it is well equipped to work with Studio One?

Dell Latitude E6530, 16 GB Ram, Two 1-TB SSD
Windows 10/64
Novation LaunchKey 49 USB Keyboard
Studio One 6.5.2.97444 Win x64
by Tacman7 on Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:30 am
Shopping is hard.

Figuring out your needs and budget needs to be done before going in.

That's if you have some money to spend, or good credit.

Most buy the most processing they can afford. I bought old Dell workstations with 2nd gen i7's in them for years until the software got too much for them. Hardware demands are ever increasing.

This place has helped me with shopping:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/
You look up the processor you want to buy and it will give you information about how it would compare to other processors.
I go a lot by overall score but they're other things to look at but that's a big one.
My processors had scores like 5000 for a long time and when I went up to processor with a score of 17,800 I was not overwhelmed with processing power but was able to do a lot more and all at once. Now it's gagging and choking on occasion if I overload it. I need more!!!

Always going to need more, just get all you can afford, that's a simplistic view of processing but you can compare real numbers.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by JohnBW on Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:18 pm
Windows laptops appear to be hit or miss as far as handling real-time audio well. Just because a machine has specs for gaming does not guarantee that it's suitable for intensive DAW use.

Gaming and video editing have high GPU demands, but neither of those use cases are actually real-time, and events can be be buffered as necessary until the CPU catches up.

But with real-time audio, any lag by even the a very strong CPU caused by misbehaving drivers that demand the CPU's attention can cause cracklies and stuttering in the DAW's audio engine if the real-time audio buffer is not constantly being serviced by the CPU. Otherwise known as "DPC Latency".

Best to search for laptop models known to be good for audio production. I have seen more than a few cases of "buyers remorse" posted online from those who assumed any gaming laptop was suitable.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by heinzhupfer on Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:11 pm
HI:)

Laptops are never good for Audioproductions. (Slow, noisy, and very bad mouse handling and keyboard.)

Desktops are much better in this way.

To work fast and secure with a laptop you need an extra keyboard, an extra mouse and an extra monitor, so why then a laptop?

Bassman.
by davidlarson6 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:05 pm
heinzhupfer wroteTo work fast and secure with a laptop you need an extra keyboard, an extra mouse and an extra monitor, so why then a laptop?

Portability.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by garybowling on Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:37 am
I've had very good luck with gaming laptops. I use a laptop more than my desktop for portability reasons.

My current laptop is an ASUS Strix SCAR 17, which is a 17" laptop with the AMD Ryzen 5900HX processor. I got it through Xotic PC. They have a lot of choices on their web site.

One thing to keep in mind, many of the gaming laptops with the intel chips require two power bricks for operation due to the amount of power they draw. This was a big "NO" for me as it's just not portable enough. These bigger laptops are already more challenging to carry around.

The newer AMD chips use much less power and all of them have a single power brick and it's actually a fairly small/lightweight power brick at that. This was my first AMD powered laptop, all my previous ones were Intel chips. I had a Sager for many years, also a gaming PC, that served me very well.

The one I have is extremely quiet and runs S1 ver 6.01 without a hitch. I have tons of plugins, including many power hungry ones like the Presonus Mix FX, waves CLA, and just about every Izotope plugin. I haven't run into anything that causes a problem.

Of course none of this is a guarantee, just my experience.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by JohnBW on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:00 am
garybowling wroteThe one I have is extremely quiet and runs S1 ver 6.01 without a hitch. I have tons of plugins, including many power hungry ones like the Presonus Mix FX, waves CLA, and just about every Izotope plugin. I haven't run into anything that causes a problem.

This is exactly the type of info that the OP needs.

Just ordering any off-the-shelf gaming laptop at random is bound to be hit or miss!

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:15 pm
At this point, too much speculation.

Questions:

-What is your price range?
-What EXACTLY are you using it for? Simply implying "studio one 5" isn't enough info.
-What about your current setup isn't satisfactory at this time?

32GB of ram may be overkill. Depends on what plugs you run. Something like Kontakt can require more ram. But the stock plugs really would be fine mostly at even 8GB for the most part.

-How many tracks do you typically use?

@Graphics. Unless you are a hard-core gamer, it's not likely that this is necessary at all.

For S's and G's, here one that seems to be a good compromise:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspi ... Id=6432554

Again, I don't know what you don't like about your current lappy.

Bye......:roll:
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:25 am
So, we went from "nobody responded" to some good thoughts and....he gone :lol:

I guess it's better than being trolled by a certain "someone" for "posting too much" (even thought they post too much :roll: )

by Lokeyfly on Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:35 am
Subject related.

JohnBW wrote
garybowling wroteThe one I have is extremely quiet and runs S1 ver 6.01 without a hitch. I have tons of plugins, including many power hungry ones like the Presonus Mix FX, waves CLA, and just about every Izotope plugin. I haven't run into anything that causes a problem.

This is exactly the type of info that the OP needs.

Just ordering any off-the-shelf gaming laptop at random is bound to be hit or miss!

It is the information the OP needs for sure, as were your earlier points as well, JohnBW.

With that I would only add as you did about the vast difference in laptop/computer capability is noise. Often and especially with the new gamer laptops being very capable, they have a high emphasis on cooling. That brings with it fan noise. Most combat this with being able to throttle the fan(s) down either automatically or manually. An essential feature when microphone tracking.

Other than that, a gaming laptop is very sufficient, though like most computers that are pre configured or store bought computers, definately get rid of the unnecessary pre installed nonsense and keep add-ons to a minimum.

Cheers.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by JohnBW on Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:54 am
reggie1979beatz wroteSo, we went from "nobody responded" to some good thoughts and....he gone :lol:

Well I guess this thread will at least have some food for thought available for other users that search the forum for this topic!

by JohnBW on Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:11 am
Lokeyfly wroteOther than that, a gaming laptop is very sufficient, though like most computers that are pre configured or store bought computers, definately get rid of the unnecessary pre installed nonsense and keep add-ons to a minimum.

Well, my main point was to gather specifics about the most reliable makes/models of laptops for DAW use from others that are using laptops, rather than just grabbing any good deal that comes along. That should reduce most of the risk for potential laptop issues, aside from the usual de-cluttering and optimizations that one should do with any PC.

A side note: Most Windows laptops use lower power/lower speed mobile CPUs.

The design requirements for mobile CPUs is to reduce power consumption and heat. A "desktop replacement" laptop with a desktop CPU and a mobile GPU is not going to be as portable and usually quite a bit more expensive. At a certain point one may want to compare their pricing options with a Mac.

by Lokeyfly on Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:07 pm
JohnBW wrote
Lokeyfly wroteOther than that, a gaming laptop is very sufficient, though like most computers that are pre configured or store bought computers, definately get rid of the unnecessary pre installed nonsense and keep add-ons to a minimum.

Well, my main point was to gather specifics about the most reliable makes/models of laptops for DAW use from others that are using laptops, rather than just grabbing any good deal that comes along. That should reduce most of the risk for potential laptop issues, aside from the usual de-cluttering and optimizations that one should do with any PC.

A side note: Most Windows laptops use lower power/lower speed mobile CPUs.

The design requirements for mobile CPUs is to reduce power consumption and heat. A "desktop replacement" laptop with a desktop CPU and a mobile GPU is not going to be as portable and usually quite a bit more expensive. At a certain point one may want to compare their pricing options with a Mac.

Especially now with the Mac M1. You know, stupid me, I meant to note my laptop as a suggestion, but I plumb forgot. I was never too big on HP's through the years with their proprietary architecture. Only now, they have a hugely competitive selection for just about every need. The Omen Laptop's properly set up are magnificent for a mobile or home studio. I have always built my own towers and PCs from Win 3 1 on. I'm a big fan of ASUS motherboards, and well.....too much to list here. But my last two laptops (Sony Vaio and HP Omen) have been killer on efficiency, many years of use and not one crash using both Studio One, even rewired with Pro Tools, Reason, and generally abusing it with many VSTi's. Not even having to render, although some of my guitar effect plugs are seriously demanding (but worth it). I was going to go with an Intel i9 CPU, but I found there's really no need. I perform a LOT of engineering 3D CAD on this laptop so my graphics card is largely a little more performance oriented than what's needed with a Studio setup. I don't game at all, but when shopping, I did like the lean architecture of the Omen. There are a few good other brand choices, but I won't mention them unless the OP is interested. It can get easily into the near to over $2k range, but it doesn't have to. I got mine for $1200, on a black Friday discount two years ago. It would otherwise run $2k. An i9 starts to reach into the $2500 range and I don't want to scare potential users.

That's why a M1 Mac is starting to shine based on even portability and power starting at about the same $1200 and up range.

One last consideration is screen monitor size. A PC has many more options on a 17" size. Apple doesn't (any longer, I believe). I only use a 17" and wouldn't consider smaller, mmv of course.

To the OP. Don't just buy a gaming laptop if you so choose. Buy one that fulfills your needs and your wallet. Note those needs if you're interested including max affordable cost. That will help define the best choices. Otherwise, the question is a little all over the place in suggestions.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by JohnBW on Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:30 pm
Lokeyfly wroteThere are a few good other brand choices, but I won't mention them unless the OP is interested. It can get easily into the near to over $2k range, but it doesn't have to. I got mine for $1200, on a black Friday discount two years ago. It would otherwise run $2k. An i9 starts to reach into the $2500 range and I don't want to scare potential users.

That's why a M1 Mac is starting to shine based on even portability and power starting at about the same $1200 and up range.

Like you, I have been building my own PC towers for years. I much prefer specifying custom components myself that meet my specific needs for CPU power, RAM, disk space, and graphics. In addition here is usually a hardware upgrade path later if needed. Plus you can use any size or multiple screens of your choice!

I don't need a mobile DAW rig, so I personally consider laptops a disposable consumer item, and I'm no longer willing to pay more than $350-400 for one. They are a necessary evil when traveling and a mobile phone is just too tiny to use for more than a few minutes. However I did spend over $1000 for a Dell desktop replacement laptop once many years ago. Never again, but it does still run! However it's crippled now with a 32-bit single core Pentium 4 and Windows XP-32.

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:29 pm
I never can understand how people can do really intense projects on a lappy. With mixing just audio, I guess you can set the buffer really high. But trying to record guitar/bass/synths in real-time is quite challenging.

(wait for it, the dude with old windows 98 laptop that can do 200 tracks, or the (heavy Kartman voice) "oh, people used to make music back in the day w/o a new laptop" :lol: )

by Lokeyfly on Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:05 am
reggie1979beatz wroteI never can understand how people can do really intense projects on a lappy. With mixing just audio, I guess you can set the buffer really high. But trying to record guitar/bass/synths in real-time is quite challenging.

Theres nothing challenging about it.
Its probably a good idea to let go of any pre existing ideas one may have with a laptop nowadays. Laptops, and particularly gaming laptops have upped their game (did I say that?). Not that experience doesn't count, because it can and we all have different needs. All I can say is for my needs, the portability factor is a blessing and allows me artistic freedom. With the help of a great audio interface, I even forget my buffer is set to 8 with no glitches. Latency is in the ultra low catagory. Even USB voltage has been improved for mobile recordings with the new USB-C with the right audio interfaces that take full advantage of the higher voltage so one needn't be concerned with needing a 120v AC connection to 5v xfmr for best results. You can now have the 5-6 volts for USB in the field (up to 20)

The build quality on an HP Omen is pretty stunning now with no flex in the framework. I think I even considered the HP over again because a work computer of mine, with an Intel i9 & GeForce RTX™ 3080 really impressed me with its CAD performance ($3 grand) and build quality. I thought, jeez, this is an HP? So I went on some confirmation that they've really upped their quality. Of course I had done a lot of in store comparing as well.

Obviously a tower is going to have its own rewards in some ways, especially connectivity, and changing out things under the hood. Only for my needs, in all respect It's a boat anchor.

The back of the Omen looks like a Lamborghini Countach. It has fins on top of fins. Lol. It's also really easy to open at the bottom where older laptops were a real challenge to open. For many, not an option. So in a nutshell, things can and do change for the better.

It's all good. We all have our needs.
alfredohuerta [OP] should be just fine.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by JohnBW on Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:30 am
Lokeyfly wrotealfredohuerta [OP] should be just fine.

...With a HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen Laptop, 32 GB ram,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD) and 1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, :thumbup:

by reggie1979beatz on Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:47 am
JohnBW wrote
Lokeyfly wrotealfredohuerta [OP] should be just fine.

...With a HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen Laptop, 32 GB ram,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD) and 1 TB SSD. Win11 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, :thumbup:

I fixed that for you :mrgreen:

Honestly, in basically every way I miss doze 11, ten is still great though. But until I get that noise problem fixed (yet another mobo and copy of doze :roll: ) Ima have to stay put with this one.

by MisterE on Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:13 am
Yes Windows-based laptops can get a lot of recording jobs done; however, if I was buying one, I would definitely copy a known working one someone has recommended, I would not just take my chances.

Gearspace Music Computers Forum is another good resource to find success stories with Windows laptops.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII

28 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2