12 posts
Page 1 of 1
S1:6 was pretty boring compared to previous major updates, no?

Are Fender holding the coders hostage? Do we have to wait until FenderBand is released until we get anything innovative in S1? Is it time to learn Bitwig?
by ericma2 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:57 pm
Hahaha, I felt the same way but I will most likely upgrade. Mainly for the easier to control sends and the dual pans. Nothing innovative but I do like S1 a lot.
It's funny you mentioned Bitwig because I started looking into it after the S1 6 release.

2013 Mac Pro Trashcan 8 Core 64 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.7.3
Studio One 6.5.2
Pro Tools 21.12 <- Finally left Pro Tools - THANKS S1!!!!
Euphonix Artist Mix firmware 1.5.6.0
Eucon v4.8.3
by webhamster on Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:59 am
I have the opposite feeling. I was very happy with 6.0, because they finally payed some attention to details instead of big features.

However it's not nearly enough. I'd gladly pay another 150 to have an update that pays fixes workflow issues and all the small details in S1. Great if macro's would work, timing of external instruments was fixed and just many workflow issues that I run into everyday.

For the first time in years I'm now actually looking at other DAWs.

S1 6.5.1 - MacOs 13.6.2 MacBook 14" M1 max - interface: Quantum 2
by Lokeyfly on Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:55 am
paullearmonth1 wroteS1:6 was pretty boring compared to previous major updates, no?

Are Fender holding the coders hostage? Do we have to wait until FenderBand is released until we get anything innovative in S1? Is it time to learn Bitwig?

Why not state what it is you're looking for? I thought the same a few weeks ago when I couldn't make the move to update, or for that matter if I even was going to. So I won't disagree with your gut feeling.

A number of new version 6 changes are certainly going to make workflow faster with storing track, Instrument and effect presets all together now. The mixer has some easier functionality, and not just the balance control. Fader flip is also pretty useful for actual mix officianados. Good stuff. Perhaps not to your liking. Dunno. Where were you looking for more advancements towards your needs?

Pro EQ3 is IMO a $150+ USD plugin now and that's coming from fabfilter Pro 3Q. It's WAY better than the Waves Dynanic EQ both in clarity, and sideband functionality.

Maybe you should spell out what those options in Bitwig you want are, and define "enough". I think your post will carry more clout that way, rather than dissing Fender who hasn't shown any interfering with Presonus at least from a user or known perspective. Your term "boring compared to previous versions" isn't defined.
JMO. Peace, out.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by gottfriedbergmair on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:46 am
At first I was disappointed too.
But a few weeks later I think we got a very good and solid update.
In the meantime there was an extensive patch.
We got many useful workflow updates: ProEQ+Vocoder+Autofilter, track presets, sidechaining, tracklist options, panning, MPE, target loudness, flip faders, lyrics, GUI appearances, micro-editing, channel view ...
At the end of the version 6 period we will see in which direction the journey goes.
I think with Fender, Presonus gets more opportunities, such as additional web resources, marketing, or maybe even more development resources.
At the moment there is no reason for me to worry about S1.

Win 10 64 i7-7K 32GB 2x M2, Studio One 6 Pro + Fat Channel XT Suite + Studio 192 + Eris E8 + FP2018 + ATOM+ATOM SQ; Keylab mk2 49, Lewitt 441 Flex, Zoom H5, Mackie 402-VLZ4; SW: Arturia V + FX, Melodyne 5 STUDIO, u-he Synths, TAL, Klanghelm, RX Std 10
by MisterE on Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:14 am
webhamster wroteGreat if macro's would work, timing of external instruments was fixed

Second time this week someone has posted about the timing of external instruments being off; why is mine right on the beat if it's broken?

And I read this forum almost every day, and sometimes more than once, and I'm not seeing people lament about macros not working. What am I missing?

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by Lokeyfly on Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:16 pm
gottfriedbergmair wrote......I think with Fender, Presonus gets more opportunities, such as additional web resources, marketing, or maybe even more development resources.
At the moment there is no reason for me to worry about S1.

I agree. And vice-versa. Fender has acquired quite the company to enhance some of their growth objectives.

MisterE wrote: "Second time this week someone has posted about the timing of external instruments being off; why is mine right on the beat if it's broken?

And I read this forum almost every day, and sometimes more than once, and I'm not seeing people lament about macros not working. What am I missing?"

Because it's easier to blame the DAW than bear the brunt of responsibility. "It's not I, therefore it must be they. So when are they going to fix it! "
(Toe tapping, arms folded).
;)

I've never had an external instrument go off timing or sync (except in the early inception of MIDI with MIDI merge interfaces) . Of course an awareness of shorter and well shielded cables, MIDI patchbay, and proper setup go a long way in preventing such things. Just like the slanted editorialized news these days, we don't get the full story. As you know my friend, if one were to view only this forum, it would appear Studio One were a bucket full of problems. On the contrary, people are getting on with amazing results because it actually works so well.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by ericma2 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:07 am
My experience is that external instruments are out of sync when using their built in sequencer. Happens with my Db01 and Typhon. MIDI notes coming out of S1 to external instruments then audio back into S1 are in sync. MIDI from external sequenced instruments then audio into S1 is not in sync. I've had a heck of a time with Dreadbox support trying to figure things. Finally we realized S1 and external sequencers weren't syncing up. I forgot if S1 is behind or ahead but I ended delaying either S1 or the external instrument manually to sync everything up. I don't use much external sequencing so it hasn't been a huge deal. It was really confusing in the beginning though.

macOS Monterey 12.7.3
Studio One 6.5.2
Eucon v4.8.3
by ericma2 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:16 am
Lokeyfly wrote
Because it's easier to blame the DAW than bear the brunt of responsibility. "It's not I, therefore it must be they. So when are they going to fix it! "
;)

It seems it's easy to generalize too. There are so many different variations of DAW setups out there. It would be helpful to understand someone's issue before bootstrapping it.

macOS Monterey 12.7.3
Studio One 6.5.2
Eucon v4.8.3
by Lokeyfly on Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:03 am
ericma2 wrote
Lokeyfly wrote
;)

It seems it's easy to generalize too. There are so many different variations of DAW setups out there. It would be helpful to understand someone's issue before bootstrapping it.

Hence the reason it's always better to slave a sequencer to a DAW than the the other way around, though there are cases where conditions have to be swapped. Like syncing to a SMPTE stripe, tape deck, etc.

When poorly described original posts are brought to the forefront, it brings on too many questions in response or even worse, assumptions. Obviously in this post, the OP hasn't even presented an issue, or a recommendation. Only a poorly titled post, mild sarcasm towards a business relationship. That's pretty much batting 0%

I'm not familiar with the term "bootstrapping". But if it's what I think it is, people in response are asking. On my behalf, I already politely asked the OP to clarify his/her vague position. IMO, that position is as the post subject is titled, slow progress.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by webhamster on Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:03 am
MisterE wrote
webhamster wroteGreat if macro's would work, timing of external instruments was fixed

Second time this week someone has posted about the timing of external instruments being off; why is mine right on the beat if it's broken?

And I read this forum almost every day, and sometimes more than once, and I'm not seeing people lament about macros not working. What am I missing?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Are external synths in time for you when using an external instrument (with aux channel) and then use 'transform to audio'? For me the timing of the audio file is completely off. When using bounce on a midi instrument it works fine. (The difference is that an external instrument combines audio and midi, added in S1-5).

The macro's page skip up and page skip down haven't worked for years (confirmed by support).

When working on complex mixes small things can be huge time savers.

S1 6.5.1 - MacOs 13.6.2 MacBook 14" M1 max - interface: Quantum 2
by MisterE on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:45 pm
webhamster wrote
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Are external synths in time for you when using an external instrument (with aux channel) and then use 'transform to audio'? For me the timing of the audio file is completely off. When using bounce on a midi instrument it works fine. (The difference is that an external instrument combines audio and midi, added in S1-5).

The macro's page skip up and page skip down haven't worked for years (confirmed by support).

When working on complex mixes small things can be huge time savers.

Admitting "it could be me" is progress. I'll start by admitting I was in fact just bouncing to audio; I'm going on a decade of using S1 and I've never frozen a track yet, so I didn't realize "transform to audio" = freeze. But as far as "maybe I'm doing something wrong" goes, well, there's a lot you could be doing wrong, as I immediately noticed after I tried Transform to Audio that some setting(s) here and there were undoubtedly off with my own saved External Instrument as things did not go very smoothly. I'd have to work out several things to use this function as it was intended. Additionally, automation is involved, possibly sidechained plugs, the USB/MIDI driver on your external instrument, who knows what. There's all kinds of ways you can hose yourself if you don't take the time to work through what's off; but, if you do, once you get things properly set up, then you can draw conclusions about whether transform to audio is buggy timewise or not. Until you really suss it all out, claiming it is is a premature conclusion.

Regarding Page Up and Down not working in macros and then condemning the whole macro implementation, well, that's like walking into a fish store, seeing they're out of tuna, then concluding they have no fish even though that's the only fish they're out of.

This business of recording with PCs requires standing on your head every so often, that's just the way it is no matter how much knowledge and experience you have. There's so many features and so many variables.

I'll let someone else more experienced with freezing chime in to help you sort your exact issue.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII

12 posts
Page 1 of 1