22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I recently got a new laptop and the subtle stuttering happens. It barely happened with my old laptop.
I don't understand because the new laptop is more powerful than old one. I updated audiobox driver and it didn't help me out.
It doesn't matter which version of Studio One you use. The test result is the same between S1 5 and 6.
What I guess is that it's because of the difference of intel and AMD cpu. The old one has intel cpu and the new one has AMD.
The brand is also different, but I don't think it causes the issue. Asus vs Lenovo.

Studio One 6.5 Pro Latest ver/ Lenovo Legion 5 laptop/ AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz/ Installed RAM: 40.0 GB (39.4 GB usable) / System type: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64-bit / GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060 / C drive: SSD 512GB / D drive: SSD 2TB (int) / P drive: SSD 4TB (ext) / N drive: HDD 3TB 5400 rpm (ext) / Speakers: Presonus Eris 4.5 / Headphone: AudioTechnica ATH-M50x / Interface: Presonus Audiobox96 / Microphone: AKG P120 / Midi Keyboard: Korg MicroKey 37 / OontZ Angle 3 Bluetooth Portable Speaker
by juhaseppnen on Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:17 pm
Have you tested the new system with LatencyMon yet? Perhaps you could take a look there and post some results here. Is the new system a Lenovo or Asus?

Studio One Pro 5.5.2.86528
Windows 10 - 8700k - 16 GB - MSI Z370 Sli Plus
Arturia Keylab 88
Presonus Studio 1824c
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:45 am
I'ma go out on a limb and say that being a different processor is not likely the issue.

Now, even though I'm sure you already know this, power schemes is a possible culprit. I have no doubt you switched to power (or ultra? I don't know how to do this but some have mentioned it) already, but that is always the first thing to check in doze. On my lappy, I've had some trouble with getting it to recognize this at all times Sometimes I have to keep switching to it. And even then it's not always what you'd expect :roll:

BTW, just for curiosity sake, is your doze system 10 or 11? Frankly, on my desktop anyways, 11 has been a better performer, but it isn't any different in 10 in that you have to "baby" it to get good results.

Some other possibly captain obvious stuff you're already aware of: If you have not done a "clean" reinstall w/o all the useless junk that comes with the majority of lappys, then I'd recommend doing so. It's a pain, but for most it's better performance.

Also, beware "tweaks" on lappys. Recently I tried to "optimize" my lappy, and it just made things MUCH worse :roll: I had to again, do yet another clean install and start all over. Seems that doze isn't what it used to be. Changing some stuff doesn't make 10 or 11 very happy. If you have or are going to try that, do it one at a time, it will make it easier to go back if it borks something.

This is likely stuff you've already done, but just in case, it's worth mentioning.

Bye......:roll:
by Tacman7 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:19 am
When I first read this I was going to refer you to optimization websites, I used to spend a lot of time turning off unnecessary services in computer management, I can't remember what I did to this computer when I got it. I did remember feeling invincible for a half hour or so. Then the realization that increasing demands of software means it takes a lot of processing to run a DAW. The new noirmal.

But I digress...
I've been experiencing similar problems and was having a bad one trying to play this song and I tried release audio driver in background where you select your interface and it quit stuttering. I never thought it had an effect on processing.
Thought it was just so other apps could use the interface. The interface has a lot to do with the ability to do low latency so makes sense.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Nothingness on Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:39 am
juhaseppnen wroteHave you tested the new system with LatencyMon yet? Perhaps you could take a look there and post some results here. Is the new system a Lenovo or Asus?

Hi, I didn't realize that kind of app existing. I just downloaded LatencyMon and launched it. Here is the result.
LatencyMon.JPG

It says my machine is fine.
Btw, my new laptop is Lenovo. Does it matter?

Studio One 6.5 Pro Latest ver/ Lenovo Legion 5 laptop/ AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz/ Installed RAM: 40.0 GB (39.4 GB usable) / System type: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64-bit / GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060 / C drive: SSD 512GB / D drive: SSD 2TB (int) / P drive: SSD 4TB (ext) / N drive: HDD 3TB 5400 rpm (ext) / Speakers: Presonus Eris 4.5 / Headphone: AudioTechnica ATH-M50x / Interface: Presonus Audiobox96 / Microphone: AKG P120 / Midi Keyboard: Korg MicroKey 37 / OontZ Angle 3 Bluetooth Portable Speaker
by Nothingness on Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:44 am
reggie1979beatz wroteI'ma go out on a limb and say that being a different processor is not likely the issue.

Now, even though I'm sure you already know this, power schemes is a possible culprit. I have no doubt you switched to power (or ultra? I don't know how to do this but some have mentioned it) already, but that is always the first thing to check in doze. On my lappy, I've had some trouble with getting it to recognize this at all times Sometimes I have to keep switching to it. And even then it's not always what you'd expect :roll:

BTW, just for curiosity sake, is your doze system 10 or 11? Frankly, on my desktop anyways, 11 has been a better performer, but it isn't any different in 10 in that you have to "baby" it to get good results.

Some other possibly captain obvious stuff you're already aware of: If you have not done a "clean" reinstall w/o all the useless junk that comes with the majority of lappys, then I'd recommend doing so. It's a pain, but for most it's better performance.

Also, beware "tweaks" on lappys. Recently I tried to "optimize" my lappy, and it just made things MUCH worse :roll: I had to again, do yet another clean install and start all over. Seems that doze isn't what it used to be. Changing some stuff doesn't make 10 or 11 very happy. If you have or are going to try that, do it one at a time, it will make it easier to go back if it borks something.

This is likely stuff you've already done, but just in case, it's worth mentioning.

Hi, thanks for sharing your exp. Here are my answers:

1) My power option is set as Best Performance. I always set it like that. And I don't think it causes the issue because I also tested with Reaper and it was fine.
2) My system is Windows 10 64 bit 21H1
3) I haven't tweaked anything so far.

by Nothingness on Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:49 am
Tacman7 wroteWhen I first read this I was going to refer you to optimization websites, I used to spend a lot of time turning off unnecessary services in computer management, I can't remember what I did to this computer when I got it. I did remember feeling invincible for a half hour or so. Then the realization that increasing demands of software means it takes a lot of processing to run a DAW. The new noirmal.

But I digress...
I've been experiencing similar problems and was having a bad one trying to play this song and I tried release audio driver in background where you select your interface and it quit stuttering. I never thought it had an effect on processing.
Thought it was just so other apps could use the interface. The interface has a lot to do with the ability to do low latency so makes sense.

Well, as I mentioned above, I haven't tweaked and haven't installed so much software on my new laptop so far. Actually, the old laptop has much more software installed, but it sounds fine.
In addition, I usually use portable apps mostly. I guess more than 80% of my software are portable except the music production apps as most of them don't provide portable version.
Thus, my system is pretty lightweight. That's why I don't understand this issue.

by juhaseppnen on Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:32 am
Jean L wrote
juhaseppnen wroteHave you tested the new system with LatencyMon yet? Perhaps you could take a look there and post some results here. Is the new system a Lenovo or Asus?

Hi, I didn't realize that kind of app existing. I just downloaded LatencyMon and launched it. Here is the result.
LatencyMon.JPG

Thanks. Could you let it run for 10 minutes ? 34 second isn’t enough time to find any conclusive results. 10 minutes has usually been enough for my cases.

As for the maker of the laptop, it may matter. Some laptop makers have generally lower DPC latencies, but it’s a wild west. And it might not even be about DPC in the end, but that’s a place to start at least.

Studio One Pro 5.5.2.86528
Windows 10 - 8700k - 16 GB - MSI Z370 Sli Plus
Arturia Keylab 88
Presonus Studio 1824c
by AAV on Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:50 am
I'ma go out on a limb and say that being a different processor is not likely the issue.

Sure could be if the new CPU is a slower clock speed though. Or eg, same speed but running more tracks etc.
I run my current i9 slightly overclocked at 4.6 GHz which gives me a typical 128 sample 1.5 ms latency. (24 bit 48 khz). I can lower to a 64 sample buffer with smaller number of tracks. At stock speed of 3.6ghz I'd generally have to set buffers to 512 for same number of tracks and live with a 10-12 msec latency. I can overclock to 5 GHz easy but then have to live with heat and associated fan noise etc so this is a sweet spot for me. My i9 at stock settings gave me poorer settings than my old i7 all else being equal.
I suspect the user just needs to raise his/her buffer settings in S1 relative to what they are used to with the old laptop. And agree with all else in replies. Laptops are a different animal for audio. (Back when I needed portability I purpose-built a rack mounted PC that I could power where needed).

Studio One 6.5.2 Pro, Audient ID4 mark II,
Gigabyte Designair Z390, 32GB DDR4 3200, Intel i9-9900K 4.8 GHZ, 2 TB & 1 TB SSD, 3 x 1TB 7200 rpm HDD, Windows 11 Pro 64 22H2
by Nothingness on Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:49 am
juhaseppnen wrote
Jean L wrote

The attachment LatencyMon.JPG is no longer available

Thanks. Could you let it run for 10 minutes ? 34 second isn’t enough time to find any conclusive results. 10 minutes has usually been enough for my cases.

As for the maker of the laptop, it may matter. Some laptop makers have generally lower DPC latencies, but it’s a wild west. And it might not even be about DPC in the end, but that’s a place to start at least.

You are right. I tested it over 10 mins and here is the result:

LatencyMon-02.JPG

It seems like Lenovo laptop has some kind of problem with CPU throttling and WLAN.
So, I posted it on Lenovo forum. Let's see what they respond.

by PreAl on Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:13 am
Screenshot of drivers column, order by highest DPC?

TCP/IP on your screenshot shows that internet is increasing latency. Try the test again with WiFi totally disabled (right click the adapter and disable).

Update all the laptop drivers especially network adapter drivers..Also BIOS update recommended.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Lokeyfly on Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:27 am
PreAl wroteScreenshot of drivers column, order by highest DPC?

TCP/IP on your screenshot shows that internet is increasing latency. Try the test again with WiFi totally disabled (right click the adapter and disable).

Update all the laptop drivers especially network adapter drivers..Also BIOS update recommended.

Very good call, PreAl. That can and has for me impacted said "stuttering" with audio. Even on a few very capable systems. It's not so much seen as a rise in the CPU meter (though it can), but more of a snag in how the sound card, or Interface are impacted. It's more often seen where many tracks are present and demands are higher, but also can sneak in even at times of only a few tracks. System depending.
Let's see what the results bring.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Nothingness on Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:09 am
PreAl wroteScreenshot of drivers column, order by highest DPC?

I tested it. It works fine when I turned off wifi. Thus, it's definitely WLAN problem.
Updated WLAN driver and bios, but no luck. I requested Lenovo CS to update the drivers. Let's see.

by PreAl on Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:26 am
Try the intel driver update and use their auto update software (what WiFi chip do you have?). Make sure you uninstall it afterwards.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Nothingness on Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:46 am
PreAl wroteTry the intel driver update and use their auto update software (what WiFi chip do you have?). Make sure you uninstall it afterwards.

I updated everything last few days as this brand-new laptop has so many issues. My first experience of Lenovo laptop is not pleasant. The CS is decent though. But nothing has been solved so far.
It is Intel Wifi 6 AX200 160Mhz

by PreAl on Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:55 am
Ok so you need to go here for the very latest drivers if you haven't already...
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/ ... etect.html

by Nothingness on Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:12 pm
PreAl wroteOk so you need to go here for the very latest drivers if you haven't already...
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/ ... etect.html

Dang! Why didn't I think to download from the original manufacturers? I feel like I've been stupid. Since I update the WLAN driver, It works little bit better. However, the subtle pops and clicks still remain. Thus, I should wait until Lenovo to update it.
Thank you!

by PreAl on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:18 am
Not getting you when you say "wait for Levano to update" and saying you should "download from original manufacturers".

It is an Intel chip manufactured by Intel. Lenovo will simply copy drivers from Intel to their site when they can be bothered, they may customise the installer slightly differently but that's about it, if you want the very latest/best driver it's the Intel site you need to download from.

by Nothingness on Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:08 am
PreAl wroteNot getting you when you say "wait for Levano to update" and saying you should "download from original manufacturers".

It is an Intel chip manufactured by Intel. Lenovo will simply copy drivers from Intel to their site when they can be bothered, they may customise the installer slightly differently but that's about it, if you want the very latest/best driver it's the Intel site you need to download from.

My apologies, but English is not my first language.
Oh, I see. I guessed it would be. Btw, what about BIOS? Is it Lenovo side or AMD side?

by PreAl on Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:24 am
Definitely stick with Levano for the motherboard BIOS, they've customized it for your motherboard. Almost everything else you can get directly from an appropriate third party site, for instance AMD may have a better update for your graphics card as it's AMD.

BTW never forget to back up.in case of issues.

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2