39 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
MisterE wroteOnly thing is, Spectral Layers is still appearing in my Effects tab. Anyone know how I can kill it (or keep it from showing up in Effects, it's not really there.

If you are sure you have removed an effect, set Studio One to do a complete scan on bootup. Close it down then reboot. If the effect is not really there then it should be gone by the end of the scan.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by MisterE on Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:15 pm
Jemusic wrote
MisterE wroteOnly thing is, Spectral Layers is still appearing in my Effects tab. Anyone know how I can kill it (or keep it from showing up in Effects, it's not really there.

If you are sure you have removed an effect, set Studio One to do a complete scan on bootup. Close it down then reboot. If the effect is not really there then it should be gone by the end of the scan.

Man, this Spectral Layers thing is the Rasputin of plugins! While admittedly I'm new to Plugin Manager, not having as many effects plugs as most people, I've tried:

1) Highlighting Spectral Layers and selecting the vaguely worded Remove Plugin Settings -- does that mean remove the plugin, I'd like it to since there is no Delete button to be seen -- or something else? In any event, after rebooting, it's still there.

2) Unchecking Steinberg in Vendor; nope, after restarting S1 Spectral Layers still reappears in Effects tab. And I still get a message before clicking on any song to reinstall it.

3) Yes, a full deep rescan took place and Spectral Layers survived it.

Interestingly, Spectral Layers does not appear in the Blocklist.

How can I hammer a silver spike through its heart once and for all?

To sum up, I can now open any song and work in it, but Spectral Layers, which is some sort of ARA something or other, is still interfering in less impactful but still annoying ways.

Attachments
sl.png
sl.png (10.4 KiB) Viewed 4689 times

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by PreAl on Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:19 pm
Move C:\Program Files\Steinberg somewhere else.

In studio one settings take a note of all the plugin folder paths then delete them, reset the blacklist or whatever it's called, restart studio one twice (important).

You probably will not need to put the plugin paths back. (Check to see if all your plugins are available first).

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by reggie1979beatz on Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:31 pm
PreAl wroteMove C:\Program Files\Steinberg somewhere else.

In studio one settings take a note of all the plugin folder paths then delete them, reset the blacklist or whatever it's called, restart studio one twice (important).

You probably will not need to put the plugin paths back. (Check to see if all your plugins are available first).

Alternatively (on top of what you suggested) move the stuff in "stienborg" to "vst plugins" as well.

Bye......:roll:
by PreAl on Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:36 pm
?
The idea is to get rid of everything under the Steinberg folder. I would normally say "delete" but this ensures you can move it back if something goes wrong. I am assuming everything from Steinberg has been uninstalled through their installers.

I would never move plugins with install routines somewhere else because if there are updates there would be duplication.

BTW if the behaviour persists then a registry entry may have to be deleted,.search the registry for that path. Always backup.

Jeeze thanks for warning me I would never install cubase after reading this.
Last edited by PreAl on Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by PreAl on Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:39 pm
Oh this may help. I would avoid the utility they suggest.

https://www.advanceduninstaller.com/Ste ... cation.htm

by reggie1979beatz on Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:56 pm
PreAl wrote?
The idea is to get rid of everything under the Steinberg folder. I would normally say "delete" but this ensures you can move it back if something goes wrong. I am assuming everything from Steinberg has been uninstalled through their installers.

I would never move plugins with install routines somewhere else because if there are updates there would be duplication.

BTW if the behaviour persists then a registry entry may have to be deleted,.search the registry for that path. Always backup.

Jeeze thanks for warning me I would never install cubase after reading this.

Oh, I've done it many times w/o issue. Maybe you are right in the long run though.

Yeah, cubendoarseborg, NOPE! (didn't used to be so bad)

I think that it's just become a major source of bloatware.

by MisterE on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:04 pm

Can't delete them cause they already have been! S1 has been restarted more than twice and Spectral Layers lives on to irritate another day.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by PreAl on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:08 pm
So you've deleted *all* the plugin folders paths in studio one settings and they got recreated by studio one after restarting twice (with reset blacklist). Did you check the link I posted for further folders and registry entries?

by MisterE on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:10 pm
reggie1979beatz wrote

Alternatively (on top of what you suggested) move the stuff in "stienborg" to "vst plugins" as well.

All Steinberg and spectral layers (as one word or two) traces that can be searched for have already been eradicated. I'm not going to need Cubase for a good long time if ever.

Hard to know if the regular Cubase 12 would have behaved as badly as the demo; it aint good that the demo is slightly satanic, but, that said, we can't automatically conclude that the regular program is, too. I'm not volunteering to find out, however!

by reggie1979beatz on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:36 pm
Well, as far as I know, it's the same thing.

Anyways, glad you are getting it sorted, and now we know! (again though, when I've demoed it and then owned it, I NEVER had the problems you are having or what I had :roll: )

Long live the steinborg key!!!! :lol:

by reggie1979beatz on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:37 pm
Oh, and I have no clue if it would have been a help, but for halloweeeny, I signed up for a year with these guys:

https://www.revouninstaller.com/

Hard to say if it would have helped, but for as cheap as it is, it might be worth a look for the furture.

by MisterE on Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:04 pm
PreAl wroteSo you've deleted *all* the plugin folders paths in studio one settings and they got recreated by studio one after restarting twice (with reset blacklist). Did you check the link I posted for further folders and registry entries?

No but I will. It's a good day for spelunking.

by Vocalpoint on Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:02 am
MisterE wroteWas the Windows update the cause or just a distraction from another issue? Same, may never find out.

My money is on the Steinberg crap. Windows updates have been rock solid stable for months now - especially on Windows 10 - Win 11 is another story for another day.

My primary directive is to never install any additional "anything" into a known good working DAW. Even if I was tempted to ever want to "try" another major app - I would never install that into my main DAW.

Another tip is to get a really good uninstaller (like Revo) that can trace every single byte that is installed by any install program so it can be 100% cleaned later.

Revo has gotten me back to square one more times that I can count. I learned several years ago to never allow any app to install without having it monitored by Revo at all times.

Glad you found the culprit and can get back to work.

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by MisterE on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:49 am
Further progress and likely complete success!

I finally located the the spectralayers.dll in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 which is apparently where effects plugs live ... and deleted it

How did it survive earlier searches? Cause I was spelling it Spectrallayers with an extra "l." Don't know how Windows Explorer search found all the misspellings except that one, but such is life in troubleshooting land.

And the result? No more annoying dialog box telling me to reload the offender.

Thanks to PreAl for steering me to that uninstall page, where the discovery was made. And thanks to Reggie and Vocal Point for the tip on Revo Uninstaller which sounds like a nice extra layer of security to have around. Is it as good in practice as in theory?

So then why can't I declare the problem completely solved for sure? Well, I didn't go into the registry and try to find spectra layers entries there as PreAl's link suggested ... because I'm not sure it matters unless spectra rears its ugly head again. So the last order of business is asking others for advice on whether you recommend taking that extra step or whether it's superfluous at this point.

by MisterE on Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:05 pm
Well, speaking of spelunking, just for grins on a Monday morning, let's take a deep dive into the Windows Registry.

Attempting to follow the instructions given here:

https://www.advanceduninstaller.com/Ste ... cation.htm

Well, I couldn't find all those registry entries to spectra layers on my system after all the deleting I've done to this point, but one I could locate was this one:

sl2.png

Looks like a great candidate for deletion, right??? Any reason on earth to show it mercy???

by Vocalpoint on Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:54 pm
MisterE wroteWell, I couldn't find all those registry entries to spectra layers on my system after all the deleting I've done to this point, but one I could locate was this one:

sl2.png

Looks like a great candidate for deletion, right??? Any reason on earth to show it mercy???

I say blast it out of there.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by MisterE on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:36 pm
The foul deed is done and the world still spins.

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:44 pm
MEH! The kibosh again (and it was totally appropriate! )

Oh well, anyways, glad you getting/have gotten it sorted.

39 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2