32 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
PreAl wroteDownload, install and run latencymon with no apps running. Run it for a good 5 mins. Google on how to identify any issues if necessary.

So I did as you suggested, and LatencyMon did find an issue after a few minutes. It reported that the nvlddmkm.sys - Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver version 391.35 had a DPC routine execution time of 1089 μs. I'm not sure if that's causing the issue, but I guess it is an issue.

Unfortunately, so far I haven't found anything about how to resolve this issue. :|

Win 10 64bit 22H2, i7-2670QM @ 2.2GHz, 8 GB RAM, Samsung Evo 840 SSD, PreSonus Studio One 5.5.2.86528, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Akai MPD218
by PreAl on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:16 pm
Are you on the latest drivers from their website? Is Nvidia control panel set on max performance?. Also try turning off shader cache.

In latency monitor got drivers tab and sort by DPC column (from memory) highest to lowest. It may not just be this.

You may also try turning using the internal graphics card for experimental comparison.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by JohnBW on Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:54 pm
Have you tested with a buffer size above 96 yet? Like 128 or 256?

I leave my buffers set at 256 on my 2i2, as I run into issues with some plugins below that size. Just try that as a test and see if it makes any difference. I get that your PC was running at lower buffers before, but it's worth checking out. Just more information gathering...

I also noticed that you are running a 2nd gen Intel Core™ i7-2670QM Processor. I don't think that the newer Intel instruction set extensions such as Intel AVX or AVX2 which some newer software can use are supported on that CPU. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

Not saying that is a problem, but some newer software that can use AVX will have to run without those optimizations, which might load the CPU harder. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... l-avx.html

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by PreAl on Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:04 pm
It appears 391.35 is from mid 2018 so pretty old.
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverR ... 845/en-us/

Download latest from here, do a clean install and only install the main driver (custom install)... then see my previous post.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by alexandertimofeyev on Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:11 pm
PreAl wroteAre you on the latest drivers from their website? Is Nvidia control panel set on max performance?. Also try turning off shader cache.

Yes, latest drivers. Yes, the GPU is set to Max Performance in the Nvidia control panel. I will turn off Shader Cache and try again (though isn't Shader Cache supposed to reduce CPU load?).

In latency monitor got drivers tab and sort by DPC column (from memory) highest to lowest. It may not just be this.

The Nvidia driver is the only one above 1ms. Next highest is a PCIe driver at 0.64ms.

You may also try turning using the internal graphics card for experimental comparison.
You mean disable the Nvidia GPU and use the one integrated into the processor? Can you even do that on a laptop? I guess I'll have to take a look in the BIOS.

Thanks again for all your (and everyone else's) help, btw.

Win 10 64bit 22H2, i7-2670QM @ 2.2GHz, 8 GB RAM, Samsung Evo 840 SSD, PreSonus Studio One 5.5.2.86528, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Akai MPD218
by alexandertimofeyev on Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:17 pm
JohnBW wroteHave you tested with a buffer size above 96 yet? Like 128 or 256?

I leave my buffers set at 256 on my 2i2, as I run into issues with some plugins below that size. Just try that as a test and see if it makes any difference. I get that your PC was running at lower buffers before, but it's worth checking out. Just more information gathering...

I used to run Buffer Size: 64 without issue. If I increase the buffer size to 96+, I don't notice any audio distortion - the CPU spikes seem to still be there during playback, but it doesn't seem to cause any audible distortion.

I also noticed that you are running a 2nd gen Intel Core™ i7-2670QM Processor.

Yeah, it's an old laptop. Thus only 8GB RAM, as it doesn't seem to support any more. I am hoping there's another solution other than "buy a new laptop". :)

by JohnBW on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:53 pm
alexandertimofeyev wrote
JohnBW wroteHave you tested with a buffer size above 96 yet? Like 128 or 256?

I used to run Buffer Size: 64 without issue. If I increase the buffer size to 96+, I don't notice any audio distortion - the CPU spikes seem to still be there during playback, but it doesn't seem to cause any audible distortion.

I would just set my buffers to what works and move forward without spending a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this. But that's just me. Keep using what you've got as long as it works for you!

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by PreAl on Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:06 am
alexandertimofeyev wrote
PreAl wroteAre you on the latest drivers from their website? Is Nvidia control panel set on max performance?. Also try turning off shader cache.

Yes, latest drivers. Yes, the GPU is set to Max Performance in the Nvidia control panel. I will turn off Shader Cache and try again (though isn't Shader Cache supposed to reduce CPU load?).

The Nvidia driver is the only one above 1ms. Next highest is a PCIe driver at 0.64ms.

You mean disable the Nvidia GPU and use the one integrated into the processor? Can you even do that on a laptop? I guess I'll have to take a look in the BIOS.

Ok so this is the first time I've heard this is a laptop.
What's the make a model?

With my dell laptop I cannot run studio one on the first core (or first two cores if hyperthreading). Latencymon will also show if specific cores are effected.

by alexandertimofeyev on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:16 am
PreAl wrote
alexandertimofeyev wrote

Ok so this is the first time I've heard this is a laptop.
What's the make a model?

With my dell laptop I cannot run studio one on the first core (or first two cores if hyperthreading). Latencymon will also show if specific cores are effected.

It's a Toshiba Qosmio F755-3D350.

I ran LatencyMon again and this time it showed USBPORT.SYS as the highest driverwith DPC of 1.2 ms, with the Nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys as second at 1.09 ms. USBPORT.SYS was on CPU 0, while nvlddmkm.sys was on CPU 1, which I think are two threads on the same CPU core as this is an i7 with 4 cores, 8 threads.

How do you tell Studio One which cores to run on, or which cores to avoid?

by PreAl on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:27 am
Does latencymon on its initial home acreen report that your laptop is fine for recording? If there is no issue flagged you are OK.and you don't need to worry.

Maybe post a screenshot otherwise.

I'm not sure if the USB driver is an issue or not, but you could try pulling out USB devices to see if it makes a difference if it is.

by alexandertimofeyev on Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:49 pm
PreAl wroteDoes latencymon on its initial home acreen report that your laptop is fine for recording? If there is no issue flagged you are OK.and you don't need to worry.

Maybe post a screenshot otherwise.

I'm not sure if the USB driver is an issue or not, but you could try pulling out USB devices to see if it makes a difference if it is.

LatencyMon says my laptop is fine for the first few minutes, and then says it's not once one of the drivers goes over 1 ms for DPC.

I have an Akai MPD218 drum pad and an M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 MK3 plugged in via USB. If I unplug them, the USB driver doesn't cause an issue, but the Nvidia driver will still go over 1 ms and cause LatencyMon to say that my PC can't handle real-time recording as a result.

It seems like one way or another, one of the two drivers (or both) will go over 1 ms DPC after a few minutes, at which point LatencyMon says that there's an issue.

by PreAl on Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:19 pm
I would double check again to see if there is another Nvidia driver update, there have been a few issues recently that have only just been resolved, and make sure shader cache is off.

I would also try these devices with a powered USB hub and without. Make sure their drivers and firmware are up to date (and your laptop bios is up to date).

It's not only the highest execution time you are look with, with latencymon it is the highest DPC count.

Any turbo features or speedstep type functionality, or C states, turn it off. See if that helps.

Check out processor affinity here, there are more permanent ways to set it later if you Google it up...

https://www.maketecheasier.com/assign-s ... s-windows/

32 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2