32 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I'm getting bizarre CPU spikes in Studio One 5 that are causing audio distortion during playback (and maybe also during recording? I haven't tested that out yet) and I have no idea what's causing them or why.

I first noticed it while playing back a simple 3 track song with only 3 plugins loaded - two instances of Neural DPS Archetype Nolly with Oversampling set to Normal, and Superior Drummer 3 on a MIDI track. I would get periodic CPU spikes in Studio One that would cause obvious audio distortion.

In the Studio One Performance Monitor, the overall CPU utilization would hover around 28%, but would occasionally spike into the red. The plugins would hover at 19% each for the two instances of Archetype Nolly and 15% for Superior Drummer 3.

Checking CPU utilization in Windows Task Manager, it shows overall CPU utilization hovering at 24% with occasional spikes to 38%. Looking at individual cores, three hover around 40%, no core ever goes over 65% during a spike, and the spikes don't seem to line up with when the Studio One CPU monitor spikes.

I went through the PreSonus guide to setting up my laptop as a DAW, which didn't change anything. I went further by disabling all the built-in audio devices (build in soundcard, Nvidia HDMI Audio) and disabling Studio One services like ARA and Windows Audio support, and that didn't improve things either.

Studio One Dropout Protection is set to Minimum. I tried Plug-in Nap enabled and disabled, no difference.

The only thing I found that made a difference is changing my Focusrite Scarlett's buffer size from 64, which I have used in the past without issue, to 96. I can live with that, but I don't understand why I can't run 64 for the buffer (like I did in the past) and what's causing Studio One CPU utilization to spike like that.

Any advice to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Win 10 64bit 22H2, i7-2670QM @ 2.2GHz, 8 GB RAM, Samsung Evo 840 SSD, PreSonus Studio One 5.5.2.86528, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Akai MPD218
by Lokeyfly on Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:15 pm
If you're not seeing any high CPU on plugins or instruments, it could be an impedance issue. Can you proof out if the original signals are recording clean? And then you playback distortion? Or is it pretty much everywhere? If everywhere, you may want to check the monitoring, any cables or your Scarlett which does seem to have the buffer set rather high where it's only behaving at 64.

You should see 16 or with an Audient MkII, even 8 without issue.

Check cables by swapping them. It can happen, but it's really a routine check. I would really hone in on recording and checking first, then playback/monitoring 2nd.

If playback is just bad, the way to check input recording only is not just direct monitoring as that can be a different routing in the Scarlett. The way to check would be to stem or export the track to confirm its properly getting the cleanest possible signal. That will make targeting the actual issue easier.

If it's just playback spikes, it could be anything from an FX plugin set too hot, or still an impedance mismatch but on the output side.

I had this issue with peaks only and turning play on or off for weeks with only one song, and it was driving me batty, only to find I had a guitar send to a BlueCat Axiom. The width setting on the preamp in Axiom was causing it. I almost $#@p= my pants, but I found the culprit. If this sounds like check to see if the ssue still exists in a brand new song while backing off some on the Neural DPS Archetype Nolly, then I've probably made my point. Unwanted distortion sucks.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:51 am
alexandertimofeyev wroteI'm getting bizarre CPU spikes in Studio One 5 that are causing audio distortion during playback (and maybe also during recording? I haven't tested that out yet) and I have no idea what's causing them or why.

I first noticed it while playing back a simple 3 track song with only 3 plugins loaded - two instances of Neural DPS Archetype Nolly with Oversampling set to Normal, and Superior Drummer 3 on a MIDI track. I would get periodic CPU spikes in Studio One that would cause obvious audio distortion.

In the Studio One Performance Monitor, the overall CPU utilization would hover around 28%, but would occasionally spike into the red. The plugins would hover at 19% each for the two instances of Archetype Nolly and 15% for Superior Drummer 3.

Checking CPU utilization in Windows Task Manager, it shows overall CPU utilization hovering at 24% with occasional spikes to 38%. Looking at individual cores, three hover around 40%, no core ever goes over 65% during a spike, and the spikes don't seem to line up with when the Studio One CPU monitor spikes.

I went through the PreSonus guide to setting up my laptop as a DAW, which didn't change anything. I went further by disabling all the built-in audio devices (build in soundcard, Nvidia HDMI Audio) and disabling Studio One services like ARA and Windows Audio support, and that didn't improve things either.

Studio One Dropout Protection is set to Minimum. I tried Plug-in Nap enabled and disabled, no difference.

The only thing I found that made a difference is changing my Focusrite Scarlett's buffer size from 64, which I have used in the past without issue, to 96. I can live with that, but I don't understand why I can't run 64 for the buffer (like I did in the past) and what's causing Studio One CPU utilization to spike like that.

Any advice to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The one thing that stood out to me was that you are using a Laptop. BTW, specs didn't seem to be there. Windoze?

My now pretty old Dell laptop have been a struggle at times to say the least. Things that I would check: First, we need to make sure that you have created a "power scheme" that is "best performance". Anything else is a big no-no on windoze. Second, I wonder if there is any kind of interference from WIFI? Even with this powerful computer I still get the occasional pop, even with LAN if I have a browser or something like that open as well.

Bye......:roll:
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:52 am
Oh, and I forgot. I HAVE to have my lappy pluged into AC to do really anything. Battery power just simply doesn't cut it on my system.

by Lokeyfly on Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:18 am
I have to leave forum questions entirely alone going forward, if this continues.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by alexandertimofeyev on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:25 am
Lokeyfly wroteCan you proof out if the original signals are recording clean? And then you playback distortion? Or is it pretty much everywhere?

It will playback cleanly until a CPU Spike occurs in Studio One, and then it will distort during that momentary spike. If I rewind and play that section again, it'll play back cleanly, and continue playing cleanly until the next spike occurs.

Spikes seem to occur as often as every 15 seconds, or as infrequently as once a minute or two, but there's no rime or reason for when they occur or why. There's no unwanted distortion during playback outside of the spikes.
Last edited by alexandertimofeyev on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Win 10 64bit 22H2, i7-2670QM @ 2.2GHz, 8 GB RAM, Samsung Evo 840 SSD, PreSonus Studio One 5.5.2.86528, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Akai MPD218
by alexandertimofeyev on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:30 am
reggie1979beatz wroteThe one thing that stood out to me was that you are using a Laptop. BTW, specs didn't seem to be there. Windoze?

My now pretty old Dell laptop have been a struggle at times to say the least. Things that I would check: First, we need to make sure that you have created a "power scheme" that is "best performance". Anything else is a big no-no on windoze. Second, I wonder if there is any kind of interference from WIFI? Even with this powerful computer I still get the occasional pop, even with LAN if I have a browser or something like that open as well.

Specs are in my signature, but here they are again: Win 10 64bit 22H2, i7-2670QM @ 2.2GHz, 8 GB RAM, Samsung Evo 840 SSD, PreSonus Studio One 5.5.2.86528, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Akai MPD218

Laptop is plugged into AC power, power plan is set to High Performance (I even enabled and tried Ultimate Performance, no difference).

I tried disabling the Wifi card (though it was always on without issues before, so I don't know why it would be a problem now), but a CPU spike still occurred while it was disabled.

by alexandertimofeyev on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:31 am
Lokeyfly wroteI have to leave forum questions entirely alone going forward, if this continues.

I'm confused, did I do something wrong?

by Lokeyfly on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:43 am
alexandertimofeyev wrote
Lokeyfly wroteCan you proof out if the original signals are recording clean? And then you playback distortion? Or is it pretty much everywhere?

It will playback cleanly until a CPU Spike occurs in Studio One, and then it will distort during that momentary spike. If I rewind and play that section again, it'll play back cleanly, and continue playing cleanly until the next spike occurs.

Spikes seem to occur as often as every 15 seconds, or as infrequently as once a minute or two, but there's no rime or reason for when they occur or why. There's no unwanted distortion during playback outside of the spikes.

Ah got it. CPU spike. My miss, as I thought transient spike. Sorry about that. :)

You can always open the CPU dialog and sort by CPU percentage. You may find the guitar fx processor you're using could be high. Definatly scale down those first and possibly checking your background comouter activity. Even dropping internet activity can help.

You're computer sounds fine for the task at hand.
As you've already found, it works but with this recent issue that's cropped up, you're getting CPU spikes.

Hope that helps my friend. 👍

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by alexandertimofeyev on Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:27 pm
Lokeyfly wroteAh got it. CPU spike. My miss, as I thought transient spike. Sorry about that. :)

You can always open the CPU dialog and sort by CPU percentage. You may find the guitar fx processor you're using could be high. Definatly scale down those first and possibly checking your background comouter activity. Even dropping internet activity can help.

You're computer sounds fine for the task at hand.
As you've already found, it works but with this recent issue that's cropped up, you're getting CPU spikes.

Hope that helps my friend. 👍

Yeah, CPU spikes, and not sure where they're coming from. Only three processes running, none over 20%, overall CPU utilization hovers at 24%, and it periodically spikes to the red.

Windows Task Manager doesn't seem to see or show the spikes, only Studio One does. I'll try to make sure there's nothing else running in the background, but it's weird that it shows up in Studio One but not Task Manager.

by JohnBW on Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:28 pm
alexandertimofeyev wroteThe only thing I found that made a difference is changing my Focusrite Scarlett's buffer size from 64, which I have used in the past without issue, to 96. I can live with that, but I don't understand why I can't run 64 for the buffer (like I did in the past) and what's causing Studio One CPU utilization to spike like that.

I also run a Scarlett 2i2 on Windows 10, and would suggest that you up your buffers to at least 256, which is where I leave mine at (if not higher).

If your buffers are set too low, audio distortion and breakup will happen quickly when high real-time audio demands are put on the CPU, if it struggles to keep the audio buffers full. The CPU hit of plugins can add up fast, especially at low buffer sizes.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by alexandertimofeyev on Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:13 am
JohnBW wrote
alexandertimofeyev wroteThe only thing I found that made a difference is changing my Focusrite Scarlett's buffer size from 64, which I have used in the past without issue, to 96. I can live with that, but I don't understand why I can't run 64 for the buffer (like I did in the past) and what's causing Studio One CPU utilization to spike like that.

I also run a Scarlett 2i2 on Windows 10, and would suggest that you up your buffers to at least 256, which is where I leave mine at (if not higher).

If your buffers are set too low, audio distortion and breakup will happen quickly when high real-time audio demands are put on the CPU, if it struggles to keep the audio buffers full. The CPU hit of plugins can add up fast, especially at low buffer sizes.

What's strange is that I used to be able to run 64 just fine, even when using more plugins simultaneously. I'm not sure what changed.

Oh well, it seems to be fine at 96, so I'll leave it at that for now.

by JohnBW on Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:56 am
alexandertimofeyev wroteWhat's strange is that I used to be able to run 64 just fine, even when using more plugins simultaneously. I'm not sure what changed.

It's hard to say what changed, but if increasing the buffer size reduced the audio distortion, that implies that the CPU is struggling with the load at lower buffer sizes.

Glad that you got it working for now. But as newer software evolves with ever newer features, it will most likely come at the expense of a larger CPU load.

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:37 am
JohnBW wrote
alexandertimofeyev wroteWhat's strange is that I used to be able to run 64 just fine, even when using more plugins simultaneously. I'm not sure what changed.

It's hard to say what changed, but if increasing the buffer size reduced the audio distortion, that implies that the CPU is struggling with the load at lower buffer sizes.

Glad that you got it working for now. But as newer software evolves with ever newer features, it will most likely come at the expense of a larger CPU load.

It could also be the driver. Why that would be the case, I dunno but it's happened before. Gremlins, what the hell :roll:

My BFP had amazing drivers. It's a shame that went belly-up :( But this Audient, strange beast. I can run it at 32 with no problem. It reports higher Latency (which is really a joke at those settings) but the weirdest thing is that the CPU use is less running that low. In fact, the buffer size doesn't seem to make any difference in CPU usage.

The only reason I'm bringing that up is because IF for some odd reason the OP considered a new SC, keep Audient in mind.

by alexandertimofeyev on Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:59 pm
JohnBW wrote

Yeah, it's just so weird that it'll be running along at 28% CPU utilization and then suddenly spike up to 100% for a split second.

I'll play around with different plugins, maybe one of the ones I was using has an issue.

by JohnBW on Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:50 pm
alexandertimofeyev wroteYeah, it's just so weird that it'll be running along at 28% CPU utilization and then suddenly spike up to 100% for a split second.

I'll play around with different plugins, maybe one of the ones I was using has an issue.

Good plan!

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:47 am
As someone who is having some FW issues with some things, I realize at least as much as anyone that these things can be tricky to figure out, or sometimes just impossible.

Well into the 90% range, there is usually a reason. Keep bustin' a move with it, most of the time some unknown variable will somehow show itself.

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:27 am
I had another thought that may be totally unrelated, but it's worth a mention.

For reasons that are unimportant, I went through some hoops with graphics cards recently. A very specific plug (that I paid dearly for in the "preorder" department, yeah, my bad) was crashing both Studio One (5 and 6) and Reason 12. I'll skip the details but it was suggested originally that I upgrade the graphics card.

What I had was a fanless basic VGA, it was Nvidia and it worked OK. The newer "more powerful" card installed w/o a hitch, but I was getting allot of popping clicking. Long story short, I actually went to the onboard graphics from the i5, and WALLA! No more popping/clicking. Took that back, never reinstalled the older VGA, deleted everything Nvidia and it's running smoothly. That plug was finally updated to solve the problem, but I went through some not very fun stuff in the process.

So, my long-winded post has the merit of saying it's always possible that this is the culprit. An update that is wonky, or whatever.

Troubleshooting, a not so fun part of our addiction. :lol:

by PreAl on Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:14 am
Download, install and run latencymon with no apps running. Run it for a good 5 mins. Google on how to identify any issues if necessary.

That would have easily identified the graphics driver issue.(or any other system issue). Even if you don't have a problem it's worth running to see if you can make improvements.

Every.time I do a major update of Windows, or update a driver I run it. It's a good test.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:08 pm
No no no......you MUST take the rough route like I did :lol: It's essential to put the cart BEFORE the horse! Why make it easy? :roll:

32 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2